Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #11
LianneJW1912
Abandonia nerd

Several images of the first parts of the 'prototype', if you will...
Attached Images
File Type: png Mock Up Issue 4 Cover.png (192.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Mock Up Issue 4 Dune II.png (167.8 KB, 8 views)
LianneJW1912 is offline                         Send a private message to LianneJW1912
Old 23-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #12
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Coming from a consumer perspective I usually wouldn't bother talking to the author. I would assume if it comes out great! Otherwise I would think it never took off. Of course I am interested however I see now that it is hard work. In my opinion it looks great! So professional looking.
tienkhoanguyen is offline                         Send a private message to tienkhoanguyen
Old 23-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #13
LianneJW1912
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienkhoanguyen View Post
Coming from a consumer perspective I usually wouldn't bother talking to the author. I would assume if it comes out great! Otherwise I would think it never took off. Of course I am interested however I see now that it is hard work. In my opinion it looks great! So professional looking.
Glad you think so! I'm still not sure what the situation is with the previous editors/other issue 4, currently this is just a 'beta' test to try and see what the reception is, but thanks for your feedback!
LianneJW1912 is offline                         Send a private message to LianneJW1912
Old 23-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #14
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Default Feedback is always welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneJW1912 View Post
Glad you think so! I'm still not sure what the situation is with the previous editors/other issue 4, currently this is just a 'beta' test to try and see what the reception is, but thanks for your feedback!
Dear LianneJW1912,

Please feel free to beta test anything. When I was just starting out programming I would try new formats. It was odd and even against standard programming practice. However as I aged along the years I realize that getting the job done many times require creative thinking. I have found standard practices stunt the mind and creativity at least in my personal experiences. These days, decades later, I've found my skills has expanded through use not by just following a certain way of doing things.
tienkhoanguyen is offline                         Send a private message to tienkhoanguyen
Old 24-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #15
LianneJW1912
Abandonia nerd

So a little progress report, I've currently finished the first article seen in the pictures above, it came to two pages long, and now I've moved on to a feature article, which I'm thinking will be three or four pages long. With an editorial/contents page (I plan on amalgamating them into one entity), that will put the magazine on 8 pages so far (including cover). The eventual size will depend on how many articles I think are good for the flow of the magazine (I don't want to use up all ideas in one hit after all )and any possible contributions received, again depending on whether on not this gets a green light, but I thought it was worth a quick update just to let everyone know what was going on :P Obviously I'd do more pictures but I'm formatting the articles upon completion, so I don't get too confused and can jig things around if necessary.

LJ
Old 24-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #16
LianneJW1912
Abandonia nerd

OK so I did want to share this, it's the formatted first page of a feature article, to show my progress :P
Attached Images
File Type: png The history of westwood studios MOCK UP.png (158.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 24-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #17
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Default "Shimmy it up!" - Some guy from Home Depot

From a research perspective showing some background of the company it is nice to know. My mom always likes to know the good and bad of a company before she deals with them. It shows character. However The Holy Bible says no one is perfect except Jesus Christ! It is your show LJ; I'm just a commentary for one potential consumer's opinion. So far it is good but lacking stuffs like what is so special about first person shooter etc. For instance how did the engine get created etc. Although I realize it is proprietary information it is kind of general.

What I do like about it is it shows generally about the company. Where it is based etc.

Don't get me wrong. I like the first 3 pages previewed so far. So professional looking.
Old 24-08-2017, 09:40 PM   #18
LianneJW1912
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienkhoanguyen View Post
From a research perspective showing some background of the company it is nice to know. My mom always likes to know the good and bad of a company before she deals with them. It shows character. However The Holy Bible says no one is perfect except Jesus Christ! It is your show LJ; I'm just a commentary for one potential consumer's opinion. So far it is good but lacking stuffs like what is so special about first person shooter etc. For instance how did the engine get created etc. Although I realize it is proprietary information it is kind of general.

What I do like about it is it shows generally about the company. Where it is based etc.

Don't get me wrong. I like the first 3 pages previewed so far. So professional looking.
The theme for this Issue is RTS, so there will be RTS games featuring a lot, but I will be covering more than just RTS games, of course!
Old 26-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #19
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneJW1912 View Post
The theme for this Issue is RTS, so there will be RTS games featuring a lot, but I will be covering more than just RTS games, of course!
Thank you for producing the issue! Being the one who always speaks on the forum I need a break from time to time. If the issue ends up being 30 pages then that should give me some breathing room to do other work.
Old 28-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #20
LianneJW1912
Abandonia nerd

OK so it has been a couple of days since I last posted any updates, but at least I have something to talk about!

So I just finished the feature article on the history of Westwood Studios (at last!) which is about 3000 words, so that will be a good few pages in the magazine, with some nice editing and side panels contributing to the size of the article. I'm now going to move back to doing some more game reviews after such a slog! I also plan on retaining the Versus and Console Corner features of the magazine, and would welcome any ideas for a discussion column if anyone would like to contribute!

I'll format in the Westwood article later, and I may ask for a proofreader, as I'd like to see how the article flows and error checks etc. before I tick it off as completed. If anyone else also has any ideas or things they'd like to see, again, drop me a dm or post here in the thread.