Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #101
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Maybe because they're having a hard enough time looking after their family :P

Ah, good old cultural differences. Don't make me tell you about the magic Cambodian cow.
Old 23-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #102
chumloofah
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lulu_Jane @ Oct 23 2007, 09:20 AM) [snapback]317039[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Maybe because they're having a hard enough time looking after their family :P

Ah, good old cultural differences. Don't make me tell you about the magic Cambodian cow.
[/b]
Having a rough time doesn't mean others should automatically like you.
My point is that people won't so much discriminate against gypsy blood as against a culture they don't agree with.

I'd like to hear about the magic Cambodian cow now :w00t:
chumloofah is offline                         Send a private message to chumloofah
Old 23-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #103
dosraider
Dismembered.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lulu_Jane @ Oct 23 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]317039[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
.....tell you about the magic Cambodian cow.[/b]
OH NOES ... not again the story about that cow that can fart Ludwig van Beethoven's Third Symphony (Eroica).

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 23-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #104
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dosraider @ Oct 23 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]317042[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lulu_Jane @ Oct 23 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]317039[/snapback]
Quote:
.....tell you about the magic Cambodian cow.[/b]
OH NOES ... not again the story about that cow that can fart Ludwig van Beethoven's Third Symphony (Eroica).

[/b][/quote]
Got an mp3 of that somewhere, I haven't heard it yet :blah:

But yes Lulu, now you got to tell us about it.

And don't worry about the topic, it got off topic a long time ago, but we're having a somewhat civil discusion here right now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chumloofah @ Oct 23 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]317041[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Having a rough time doesn't mean others should automatically like you.
[/b]
Agreed, and not only that, it doesn't give you the right to try and take from people who have more. I know it's sometimes very difficult to see beyond, but:
-you are poor and need help
-rich people don't care
-you take from the people around you
-the people around you start hating
Now if you're the part of the majority, you're labeled as a thief and in for some reforms... or not. But if you're a part of a minority you can add another point...
-you are crying about them mishandling you and discriminating against you
Now you're automatically able to shift blame and justify your behavior - not to mention trying to avoid punishment.

I'm not a racist, nationalist, discriminator... but there's a big difference between people who are abusing their deprivileged position in order to get by easier.

If you're poor and don't like it, try to better your position. Get a better education, learn a skill, try a bit harder, prove your worth - or if you're not able to, because you've reached the maximum of your possibilities (no all are born geniuses) - be contempt with what you have even if it's not a lot (if it's enough).

But let's take an average person now. He sees a guy driving a BMW and he wants such a car. Doesn't matter he can't afford it or maintain it - he wants it, because he saw other people having it. If this would motivate the person enough to work better, harder, learn something more to produce more - OK, that's positive motivation (but that rarely happens). Usually such a person would start complaining how some have a lot but he doesn't have it (that's the majority of people - unsatisfied and miserable when they think about it, also envious, but still continuing their own life). There is a group of people though, that would simply take what they want. They'd either steal the BMW, or try to get rich enough fast to get the car (and getting rich fast usually involves shady business - like smuggling, extorting, black market... - and sooner or later they're caught into the life of crime).

Now prejudice works just a bit here. It's the feeling if you're belonging to an underprivileged class you won't be able to succeed anyway, so people from such classes usually don't even try the hard but honest way first. They either give up and complain - or take the easy money way. And you can imagine which is more enjoyable (complaining and not having - or getting it by crook).

It's got nothing to do really with racism, nationalism, elitism... It's just a simple human nature. And because the most visible elements of any group are the people who deviate from the norm (either in a good or bad way) people judge the whole group by those individuals. In case of underprivileged classes - they are usually judged by thugs and thieves - because those are the two groups that interact with other classes most often (and by rule in a negative way).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 25-10-2007, 07:18 AM   #105
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Ok, here's the magical cow story, just to illustrate how silly cultural animosity can be.

Thais and Cambodians have a long history of cultural mistrust. However it originated long before the lines on the map we know today existed. Angkor Wat is often pivotal in their dislike for one another because it was sacked in the 12th century by the Chams (the traditional Khmer enemy) however, both these national identities have been absorbed into what we know today as Thailand, Vietnam and of Cambodia (Khmer to a lesser extent, but that's a different story.) To this day arguments still arise as to who "owns" this amazing complex.

So anyway, Thailand and Cambodia argue periodically, often shutting down each others embassy, or kicking out each others foreign workers. They also like to take little pot shots at each other through the press. A good example of this was when Cambodia discovered a magical cow (for want of a better description) in Phum Trapeang Chum.

Both countries have a tradition of animist beliefs in rural areas so this in itself was not uncommon. People were coming from all around to be healed by the magic cow. It was widely reported in the press, both Cambodian and to an small extent internationally. Thailand, however, decided that they couldn't allow their Cambodian brethren to have the upper hand, so soon after both the local language and english language thai press reported that the Cambodian magic cow was a fake.

Their reasoning was because a magical cow had already been discovered in rural Thailand the previous year, and everyone knows you can't have more than one magical cow

Sometimes mistrust or dislike of other cultures (although perhaps based on a legitimate reason) can be taken to ridiculous levels. Although personally, I reckon they should introduce the two cows to each other
Old 25-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #106
chumloofah
Game freak

Hatred is a terrible thing.
If the magical cows had a litter of magical calfs the world would never again know sickness.
But thanks to a few small-minded people we're all screwed.
Thanks a lot, prejudice!
chumloofah is offline                         Send a private message to chumloofah
Old 25-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #107
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I bet we must have had a magical cow at some point in our history too. It's magical power had to be the capability to output enormous quantities of extremely foul smelling dung - because we're really all in deep sh1t now (speaking locally and probably globally too ).

Thanks for the story, it's educational!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 26-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #108
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chumloofah @ Oct 25 2007, 09:25 AM) [snapback]317279[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
If the magical cows had a litter of magical calfs the world would never again know sickness.[/b]
Now, I'm no expert on the subject, but wouldn't one of them have to be a magical bull for that to happen?
Old 26-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #109
dosraider
Dismembered.

Oh oh oh, Fruit Pie Jones is an a nitpicking mood it seems, oh oh.

Let me tell you something, the way things are going in our modern world, it wouldn't amaze me that they don't need a bull anymore.
In vitro, cloning, whatnots.
Soon they won't need males anymore.

The world is going down the drain I tell you.

BTW: the story of the farting cow was much more interesting than that 'magical cow' one.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 27-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #110
whatshisface
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via AIM to whatshisface Send a message via Yahoo to whatshisface

This...
Quote:
Here's a fun little game some of you might enjoy...

http://www.mcvideogame.com/

And, no, its not affiliated in any way with the evil clown, it's created by Molleindustria smile.gif

Also, check out These guys for a clever take on what games can do.[/b]
Ends up as...
Quote:
If the magical cows had a litter of magical calfs the world would never again know sickness.[/b]

:blink:
whatshisface is offline                         Send a private message to whatshisface