Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #171
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Except that it would screw things up for Linux and Mac users.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #172
Taskmaster
Super Freak

Win 98... that was mentioned in my post. I went 800x600 because that was easiest based on my code, but it could be 640x480, use static graphics, no sound, etc, to be just a blander, static notfication. That would reduce the size considerably.

Heck, it could just be a small DOS console app that spit out a couple lines of text. This was just an EXAMPLE to show folks.

The installer idea is nice as it would be consistent across all games, let the site install each game neatly under an Abandonia folder (by default or fixed folder), but it would mean more work for the folks who do the updates. I would not expect the reviewers to have that kind of time, software or training.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:56 AM   #173
win98
In the loop on hardware.

I got your post fully I was just adding my opinion to make it stronger.
Yes even a dos app would be sweet as if used an old computer to download the game it was save 16bit and 32bit headaches. If they only had windos 3.1 on the pc for some reason.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 01-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #174
Taskmaster
Super Freak

I changed the music and dropped it to 1.4 MB and it would drop further with a static background.

A DOS app would still be 32 bit because I develop with a 32 bit IDE (Visual Studio C++ 6 or Visual Studio .NET 2005 in C++) so that would not be a distinction.

I still have an old Assembly program that I wrote to promote a BBS system (years ago) that puts up a scrolling colored border and some text. It really is a DOS program (6.2 maybe) and would probably have to be run from DOSBox/VDMSound, which I'd like to avoid for a "tag" application. Plus I've not worked with Assembly in years.

If this is a route - either a Windows app or a console app - that we would like to pursue, then I would need some text to display. I just did some example stuff, but I'd like to have some approved text so I know what to expect.

EDIT: Using a static image with no sound, but still with "moving text" is down to 616KB, zipping to 233KB. It still looks very nice and would represent Abanonia respectfully. I have a few other things I'd like to try though.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #175
whatshisface
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via AIM to whatshisface Send a message via Yahoo to whatshisface

Hmmmmm... I have an very simple idea, but it may be unpopular/non-effective. What if a requirement for all downloads is to be logged in as a member. If you try to make a download without being logged in it will simply send you to another page, explaining why that is happening.
whatshisface is offline                         Send a private message to whatshisface
Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #176
win98
In the loop on hardware.

That might just work. In fact thats brillant I like it.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #177
Hadiel
Abandonia nerd

2 things could happen if we should do that...

1- It works like a charm and the leech population will drop at least 50% on this site.

2- It works but the number of *DEAD* accounts will increase 9923,4% thus requiring 10 times as much maintainance as it does now.

Why? because not anyone feels like joining a forum or site just to have a nice chat with the population. They wuntz teh stuff, not the social part.

I'm not saying it can't work, but think of the possible concequences...

If it does work, Great idea! k:
Hadiel is offline                         Send a private message to Hadiel
Old 15-03-2007, 01:48 AM   #178
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Yes that is true imagine the amount of extra accounts.
Old 15-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #179
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

It could also turn many people off. I know many people (at least in the past) have been really delited with the fact you can post game questiong (in the game disscusion) without being registred. The very number of people still doing that shows not everybody feels like registrating in order to get the game and to comment. There are many more who don't comment, but just download. This could cost Abandonia many visits...

I guess game tags would be the best suggestion, but I'm afraid not all people read the readme and game tag files included (unless they run into trouble running a game).

I know this could cause some problems with longer game titles (as the number of characters in the title is limited), but could a renaming of archives so that they would simply say Abandonia help any?

Something like ThisGame-Abandonia.zip? People are bound to notice it before they extract.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 15-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #180
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sebatianos @ Mar 15 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]283702[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Something like ThisGame-Abandonia.zip? People are bound to notice it before they extract.[/b]
Yes... but they wouldn't guess what it means it they had just downloaded it from free-games-etc.com