Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-08-2006, 01:09 AM   #61

You need to make him daydream about his milkmaid LOL. First talk to the lady, then look at her hair-roller, talk to her again. She will now ask the barber to put it in his pocket. Talk to him, and when u see the dream bubble above him, use pickpocket on him.
[/quote]

Thanks for the answer, but just after posting that message a figured it out. Now im just starting Act 2.

Old 27-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #62
byte_size
Lurker

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbela47000 @ Aug 26 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]251024[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Okay, so I downloaded the game, opened the zip folder, opened the install file in XP SP2. I try to install to c:\discwld, but it says, "Cannot open: DW_1.RNC" Did anyone else encounter such a problem? If so, I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.
[/b]
Sounds like you're trying to run install from within the zipped folder without extracting all files first. If you do that, the files you need can't be found because they're still zipped!

For those who have had problems saving, I also had this problem until I installed the game directly to c:\discwld. If you try to install to any other directory it will run ok, but it will still try to save to c:\discwld\save. Seems that the programmers decided to hardcode an absolute file path instead of using a relative file path... :not_ok:

By the way, I've also had no luck with VDMSound (I'm running on WinXP). Might try my luck with the HOTU version...
byte_size is offline                         Send a private message to byte_size
Old 27-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #63
whatshisface
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via AIM to whatshisface Send a message via Yahoo to whatshisface

The shades is a place where curiosity not only kills the cat, but ties lead weights to its feet and throws it in the river

whatshisface is offline                         Send a private message to whatshisface
Old 27-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #64

Well, fun as this game looks. The Abandonia version won't seem to save no matter what I do. (Even though the sound is fine.)

And the HOTU version, even if I put that decode thingy where they want, doesn't seem to get those required english.smp files and such. I tried running the decode and/or unzipping it in various ways. But no dice. So that won't even run.

How frustrating.

Old 27-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #65

Aaah... I think found the key to how to save on the Abandonia version.

When using Dosbox, you MUST mount c in such a way that the directory the game is in is

C:\discwld

Now I have my old dosgames in a directory called d:\dosgames with a subdirectory for adventure games named adv

So when I mounted it the game was on c:\adv\discwld

And that it didn't like.

Old 28-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #66

Well, to those with problems i ll tell you wich i found an d how i solve them:

First the game MUST be installed on c:\discwld. In there you must have a folder named "save". So when i enter the game directly from win xp, i could save but a got no sound.

Sooo i enter the game from dosbox. First i enter config.exe and configured the sound whit the first option (adlib i think) and sound blaster after that. Then i enter the game with disc.exe, And now i got sound!! But i couldnt save :blink:
Soooo i created a folder named discwld INSIDE the discwld folder on c: And inside the new discwld folder a folder named save.
And now i can play with sound and save form dosbox.
Hope helped someone

Old 28-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #67

Of course, now it gives this weird error where after I save it cannot find any room I've not already been too, the files for which it then apperently decides to seek in the save directory, for reasons only known to this game itself.

Hmm... Its not that large though. Maybe if I copied all those files into the save directory as well. Sure, it'd be twice its normal size, but then it might just work hunky-dory.

Old 29-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #68

And it DOES work hunky dory now.

Cumbersome, but it can be played normally now without any errors.

So... the lowdown on saving...

Make sure the game thinks its directly on C:\ Not C:\somesubdirectory or anything.

Copy all files to the 'save' directory as well. (I don't mean MOVE all files to it. But actually copy them. Doubling the games size.)

Then and only then can you play it normally.

Honestly, nice as the game is, that does detract from the score I think. And its also hampered a bit by not being very intuitive at all. It IS very funny though.

Old 29-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #69
lgonggr
Forum hobbit

Thanks a zillion, guys !
I spend like a week last year trying to get this game from anyplace wherever. I'm a total pratchett whacko and have all his books ! This is my best birthday present ever :brain: !
Now let's see if I can actually get it to work
lgonggr is offline                         Send a private message to lgonggr
Old 29-08-2006, 11:21 PM   #70

Well i found a very ugly, disgusting and strange bug.
The most strange is that the first time i play it nothing happen, i won the game with no difficult (although act 4 is full of bugs).

But now i start the game all over again and in act 2 when Ricewind join the ritual the game crashes. The odd thing is that crashes when played on dosbox, if i play that part on xp the game doesnt crash, but it starts from the beggining!! When the ritual ends, appears the fly fling near death, like in the introdction of the game and then act 1 starts.
Really strange and annoying, luck that i already won the game, but anyaway, any ideas?