Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #301
Mediin

Well, it's difficuilt to show, how something is missing, but here is my map:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...earenamap.png/

The dungeon you see in the east is the hall of soar and appears just for some quest.

The Fortress of Ice should be somewhere where the cursor points.

Quote:
Maybe there's a limit on how many dungeons the map can remember, and when you discover new ones after the limit the game just starts forgetting the oldest ones? Just a wild guess, I haven't experienced this.
It's probably the best guess, because i visited a couple of them recently.
Luckily, i still have a save state where the fortress of ice exists. It just has pissed me off, since it means a difference of two levels for me ...

Old 27-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #302
BillyH666

Hi all! My laptop has the Windows ME OS on it, and getting this game to work on it has been hell. It always gives me the not enough EMS message, even though I am able to use the option to change the amount of Expanded Memory the A.EXE uses. I know that ME makes it extremely hard to run real time dos games and have tried to use DosBox, but my processor is just crap and gets choppy when I increase the cycles. Is there anything I can do to run this game short of getting a computer that can run DosBox properly?
BillyH666 is offline                         Send a private message to BillyH666
Old 27-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #303
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

VDMSound, perhaps, although I'm not sure if it works with WinME.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #304
Japo
Autonomous human

You can try what Windows 9x/Me called rebooting in "DOS mode". Right-click on the executable or shortcut, go to the "program" tab, and enable the "MS-DOS mode" checkbox. Or shut down Windows and choose to "reboot in MS-DOS mode", then run the game from there.
Old 28-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #305
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Hmm I don't remember Windows ME having a boot to dos mode. I know it had a crappy dos mode in windows but that wasn't real dos.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 28-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #306
BillyH666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
Hmm I don't remember Windows ME having a boot to dos mode. I know it had a crappy dos mode in windows but that wasn't real dos.
Not as crappy as XP's command prompt, but what ME did was disable real time dos mode, to make booting quicker or something so booting to dos is normally impossible. Now, apparently I can take the ME boot diskette, edit some files in and it should make a full real time dos disk, does anyone know how to do that or know of any good tutorials for it?
BillyH666 is offline                         Send a private message to BillyH666
Old 28-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #307
Japo
Autonomous human

Not sure about Me, it's my copy of 98 SE what I had checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH666 View Post
Now, apparently I can take the ME boot diskette, edit some files in and it should make a full real time dos disk, does anyone know how to do that or know of any good tutorials for it?
It is a regular DOS boot disk, only for DOS v8 or whatever, and with some extras. So you can probably use it right away. In case the extras should leave too little conventional memory to run games you could delete some lines from CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. But first try using the Windows Me boot disk as is.

Also, the option to really create a DOS boot disk is present in all versions of Windows, at least up to 7:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vistados.png
But I think it's totally bare-boned, without CD-ROM or even extended or expanded memory drivers. But you can find those easily.
Old 29-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #308
dosraider
Dismembered.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

If gaming is your goal I would advise "Windows 98 SE Custom, No Ramdrive"
It's FAT32 compatible (I will assume WinME HD is FAT32, usually is) and with some minor tweaks you'll have enough free base memory for most dosgames.
Of course you will have to edit config.sys/autoexec.bat to get sound in dos.

Problems I foresee: sound support for Dos. Desktops/laptops made for WinME had something called 'SB support' or similar, had to be enabled in the BIOS menu, but that 'SB support' was poor, bare and minimal..... and WinME didn't like it enabled, great chances it will screw up sound in WinME itself.

... and some mores stuffs .... blah blah.

Bottom line: a WinME laptop is far from ideal to run dosgames.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 29-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #309
BillyH666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

If gaming is your goal I would advise "Windows 98 SE Custom, No Ramdrive"
It's FAT32 compatible (I will assume WinME HD is FAT32, usually is) and with some minor tweaks you'll have enough free base memory for most dosgames.
Of course you will have to edit config.sys/autoexec.bat to get sound in dos.

Problems I foresee: sound support for Dos. Desktops/laptops made for WinME had something called 'SB support' or similar, had to be enabled in the BIOS menu, but that 'SB support' was poor, bare and minimal..... and WinME didn't like it enabled, great chances it will screw up sound in WinME itself.

... and some mores stuffs .... blah blah.

Bottom line: a WinME laptop is far from ideal to run dosgames.
I hear that, got a 98 boot essentials disc written up, can only run A.exe with no sound and the mouse isn't supported. Funny how xp is better at emulating Arena even without dosbox, while ME, which is dos based can't do crap. Still I have redguard, dagger, and spire working on it with no editing so i'll cut my losses.
Edit: Nevermind, the boot disk came with a nice virtual mouse that activated my laptop's still no sound though, I thought an ESS allegro would work.

Last edited by BillyH666; 29-06-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: changes in facts
Old 29-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #310
Japo
Autonomous human

I don't know about that sound card, but make sure if it isn't DOS or even Sound Blaster compatible (very usual), or if there aren't drivers for DOS. I see some results in Google. The last time I used real DOS I had a Sound Blaster PCI 128 and it came with drivers to emulate a SB 16.