Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #21
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

I think the scenario from the Heroes of Might and Magic III demo was also specifically made for it. In any case, it is quite short and hard to play since here's a one-month limit to finish off the two opponents. I guess it was deliberately done so, to tease the players as well as to show off some of the full game.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #22
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krustacean View Post
Star Wars TIE Fighter (interactive demo 1993)

Basically from what I read its a hybrid of TIE fighter and X-Wing. The cockpits aren't TIE fighters and the music is from X-Wing. Maybe a unique mission too?
I've just got the demo (haven't played the full game), the cockpit definitely looks like that of a TIE Fighter, but it is different from what can be seen in the full version:

Here's the cockpit from the full version for comparison:

The demo mission also seems to be absent from the full game - at least, the walkthroughs seem not to mention anything like it.

The title screen in the full version is coloured differently as well.
Old 23-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #23
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

CyClones demo also has a unique level which was specifically created for the demonstration purposes.
Old 23-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #24
te_lanus
Forum hobbit

Test Drive II - The Duel

Console
The 2 console Versions (SNES & Genesis) is a whole new game. Both have the F-40, Lamborghini & the 959, But the Genesis has 3 tracks, where the SNES has 4 tracks. Also the the Snes Version has Voice overs, EG when stopping for gas, a Voice comes up saying "Fill 'er up". The Genesis version has Music that plays when driving, which no other version has.

Amiga

The Amiga version is the same as the Dos version, Except that it has more colour/better graphics. On the mountain side one can see spraypaint painted on. Also the RUF was made a lot faster that any other car.

(e_e)
te_lanus is offline                         Send a private message to te_lanus
Old 23-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #25
Nyerguds
Game freak

I recently got my hands on a CD demo of C&C1, which contains (the same) 3 missions for GDI and 3 missions for Nod.

where the original demo only has some special stuff in the 3rd GDI mision, these Nod missions ALL have special stuff: you get flame tanks to wipe out the village in the first one, artillery to annihilate the base in the second one, and in the third one, where you normally start on a sealed off island, they made it connect right to the mainland, and gave you stealth tanks (chinook-dropped, even) once you reached the mainland.

The missions can be seen here:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/...pics/demo-gdi/
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/...pics/demo-nod/
(in the mappics/ folder you can find the original campaigns to compare with)

The iso of the demo CD can be found here, btw. (200 mb)

There's also at least one mission on the Nintendo64 version which does a similar thing, connecting 2 originally separated pieces of land to decrease the difficulty. Probably done to compensate for rather unwieldy controls.

On that note, and since the thread title includes ports too, the C&C1 PlayStation and Nintendo64 ports both contain a set of "Special Operations" which are unique to their console... well, were unique, until they were extracted

The PlayStation and Saturn versions also have the game music tracks as they were originally made, whereas the PC version's tracks had voice clips removed because the devs thought they'd be 'too distracting' for the players. This was probably mostly because they included voice clips of the same voice as the computer voice that gives you messages ingame.

Note that most of the original tracks with full sound clips were still included in the original DOS version of C&C as hidden tracks, and can be unlocked with a code that was only recently discovered (adding the line "Scores=remix" in the game's config file). This code makes all available original tracks replace their dumbed down counterparts.
For some bizarre reason though, the programming to use this code was missing from the latest DOS version (1.22) of the game. This is made even more mysterious by the fact that the Win95 port, which is based on that version, does have the code.

Last edited by Nyerguds; 23-08-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Nyerguds is offline                         Send a private message to Nyerguds
Old 28-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #26
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyerguds View Post
I recently got my hands on a CD demo of C&C1, which contains (the same) 3 missions for GDI and 3 missions for Nod.

where the original demo only has some special stuff in the 3rd GDI mision, these Nod missions ALL have special stuff: you get flame tanks to wipe out the village in the first one, artillery to annihilate the base in the second one, and in the third one, where you normally start on a sealed off island, they made it connect right to the mainland, and gave you stealth tanks (chinook-dropped, even) once you reached the mainland.
Wow, cool Was this demo CD part of that Westwood 10 years anniversary edition box you've got? Oh, and by the way, remember some time ago I kept asking about the "anniversary edition" of C&C that had Dune II as a bonus? Wasn't it perchance included as well?

Quote:
On that note, and since the thread title includes ports too, the C&C1 PlayStation and Nintendo64 ports both contain a set of "Special Operations" which are unique to their console... well, were unique, until they were extracted
They're already there And you will be laughing, but they're actually among those things that motivated me to start this thread in the first place

Quote:
For some bizarre reason though, the programming to use this code was missing from the latest DOS version (1.22) of the game. This is made even more mysterious by the fact that the Win95 port, which is based on that version, does have the code.
Interesting... Perhaps they were using an the same source code as the basis for the Win95 version, but some last-minute changes that were introduced during the compilation of DOS v1.22 were not included in the "master" source code?
Old 28-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #27
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
the cockpit definitely looks like that of a TIE Fighter, but it is different from what can be seen in the full version
Woah! Is it just me or the demo variant looks better? Now I need to check out that demo, thanks! I'll try to confirm that content issue, I've beaten the game probably 5 times (well, see my avatar, LOL! )...

EDIT: no, I don't remember that mission. Wikipedia confirms my findings: music, sound f/x and certain engine details retained from previous X-Wing. Lasers sound lame!

Last edited by RRS; 28-08-2010 at 01:24 AM.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 28-08-2010, 01:42 AM   #28
R153nm
Forum hobbit

You happen to be missing one of my personal favorites. The Space Quest 6 demo was a complete mini-adventure with full voice acting. A borg parody turns the entire crew into lemon sorbet and only Roger can save them.
R153nm is offline                         Send a private message to R153nm
Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #29
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R153nm View Post
You happen to be missing one of my personal favorites. The Space Quest 6 demo was a complete mini-adventure with full voice acting. A borg parody turns the entire crew into lemon sorbet and only Roger can save them.
Sounds cool Thanks for input!
Old 14-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #30
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Guys, has anyone here played the Age of Empires beta? I've seen some screenshots some time ago, which showed minor interface differences. Perhaps there was something else as well?