Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Offers
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
Ozzie
Forum hobbit

Well, thanks to the powers of ECM I managed to shrink the archive down to 76MiB. Woot! And...
Problem? Only with 7ZIP. ZIP needs 100MiB more, no kidding!
But honestly, it shouldn't be a problem since 7ZIP is nearly supported by everything, with the sole exception of WinZIP, apparently. But, well, it's not up to me. :-/
Anyway, game, review and screenshots are up. Basically, everything's ready!

Edit: Oh, and could someones delete the *.001 and *.002 files, please? Thanks!
Ozzie is offline                         Send a private message to Ozzie
Old 31-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #12
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

I dunno, you should've uploaded the 151 MB archive, cause it's problematic if everyone has to use the 7Zip unarchiver. I mean, 1 meg isn't that big of a problem.
Old 31-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
Ozzie
Forum hobbit

Like I said, no one has to use the 7ZIP unarchiver. WinRAR supports 7ZIP just as well. I just tried it out to be sure! As does ZIPGenius, TugZIP, PeaZIP and countless other archive tools. Notable exception: WinZIP. But do you want to waste so much server space so that people can use the sole program that denies to support the format with the best compression?

Also, I guess we have a slight misunderstanding: The 151MiB archive was packed in the 7ZIP format, and this was without ECM. With the use of ECM I got it down to ca. 76MiB. On the other hand, ZIP with ECM resulted in a 174MiB archive.
Okay, if that's just fine, and if you want to waste so much space, then I'll upload the archive. No prob. But I thought, since it's over the limit, I might look around for a better solution.

Last edited by Ozzie; 31-12-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 31-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #14
Ozzie
Forum hobbit

Okay, since RAR archives are also accepted in the worst case, I compressed the files with RAR and managed 157MiB this way. Would this be good enough?
Old 31-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Saccade
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
As you can tell, I'd like to apply as a reviewer!
Are we going to follow through with the reviewer / VIP badges for consistent and diligent reviewers..?
I remember it was discussed a while ago, but can't remember any conclusion being reached.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 31-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
Are we going to follow through with the reviewer / VIP badges for consistent and diligent reviewers..?
I remember it was discussed a while ago, but can't remember any conclusion being reached.
That suggestion is still in the suggestion stage.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:29 AM   #17
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

How big is the archive when compressed with simple ZIP? It is time to go beyond 150MB limit IMO, since that limitation was on while server was payed by the creators father. I think we can start to make exceptions... Anyway, I'm not sure is your review long enough for AT, but I think that it should be offered to Saccade for consideration. At least I don't see why would length matter, with some nice pictures it can surely fill one page.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
Ozzie
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
How big is the archive when compressed with simple ZIP? It is time to go beyond 150MB limit IMO, since that limitation was on while server was payed by the creators father. I think we can start to make exceptions... Anyway, I'm not sure is your review long enough for AT, but I think that it should be offered to Saccade for consideration. At least I don't see why would length matter, with some nice pictures it can surely fill one page.
Like I already wrote, the ZIP archive is 174 MiB, but only with ECM. I'm not allowed to use ECM either, so I can't tell so far how big the archive would be without ECM. I'll compress the image with ZIP again to find out, when I have the time for it. But it may take a few days...
Well, I looked around on Abandonia to get an idea what the average size of a review is and I thought the length is just fine. It fills a bit more than one page in Word. And to be honest, there's just not more to say about the game. There really isn't! Games like Azrael's Tear require some more words. I wrote a review for that on 4 pages. But Secrets of the Pyramids is not complex enough for so many words.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeah, like I said, it will surely be enough for a magazine page or so. Let's see what will Saccade say...
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 08-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
Ozzie
Forum hobbit

Okay, I tried out various compression methods and found out that Deflate 64 creates the smallest files while maintaining compatibility with the Windows Explorer unpacker.
The size is 341MiB and I uploaded it on FTP.