Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
Saccade
[BANNED]

I'm putting this on hiatus for a short while for unrelated reasons. But I will get this done, promise.

Please keep posting questions - I would only ask boring ones otherwise!
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 25-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
dosraider
Dismembered.

Had they an 'absolute' deadline pushed by the publishers to release the game, ready or not?
Ref:Stalker (1), what could have become a mile stone in the gaming world was released too soon, leaving an unfinished product, only a ... shadow of what the game could have been.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 25-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you could go back and change one element of any one game you helped produce, what would that be and why?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

How would you have designed Age of Empires 1 - apart from fixing the pathfinding?

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 25-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
How would you have designed Age of Empires 1 - apart from fixing the pathfinding?
I don't know why, but this one made me laugh. Sure them units always got stuck on trees, rocks and river banks...
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 19-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
Saccade
[BANNED]

Red - are you okay with the questions here?

If not, can you compile a list of the ones you think would be best for Meiers as I need to forward them to Firaxis so we can get them answered for your magazine.

[ed]
This is quite important, as I don't want to miss the window of opportunity

Last edited by Saccade; 20-08-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 20-08-2009, 03:56 AM   #17
knobfer

To Sid.
Where were the actors for the advisors in civ III and civ IV? Alan Rickman would have made a superb culture advisor.
knobfer is offline                         Send a private message to knobfer
Old 21-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #18
red_avatar
Administrator

Okay. I guess I'll need to sift through these.

Quote:
you could take one game - any game - you were part of the development of and remake it for modern age, which game would that be?
Considering he's remade Pirates!, Colonization, Civilization half a dozen times & Railroad Tycoon, I think we already got his answer.

I've also reworded most questions so if you don't see yours immediately, look closer .

How about sending him the following questions:

- You entered the games industry during its budding years, when genres were still undefined and when, I imagine, it was a lot harder to use the limited hardware to make proper and fun games. Which era did you prefer: the modern era with its current technology, or the era of the early 80's?

- This year, you've been a games designer for 25 years. Looking back at your carreer, is there anything you'd really want to change?

- During the earlier years of your career you made several games that are still considered classics today: Pirates!, Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, etc. Did you, at the time, expect at all that these games were going to be as successful as they turned out to be?

- You've made a great deal of games during your carreer but which game are you least happy with how it turned out and why? (not in respect to sales but in respect to how fun it was to play)

- And, to go to the other end of the spectrum: if you ended up stranded on an uninhabited island with a laptop and a single game of yours, which game would you want that to bed?

- There's been a lot of discussions concerning DRM (Digital Rights Management) and how it puts gamers off buying games. What is your own view on DRM and other intrusive protection methods?

- With the skyhigh development costs for games these days, a lot of smaller developers now start out by making indie games or mods to prove themselves and to get noticed by the big developers. Do you feel that the industry is harder to get into than it was, say, 20 years ago?

- How do you feel about the many ('abandonware') sites that seek to preserve and focus on classic games? And does it surprise you to see so many people still wanting to play 20+ year old games?

- Is there any game that you wish you had been the one to come up with?

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 21-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
Saccade
[BANNED]

Excellent! :wrings hands:

Thanks Red - I'll email this today.
Fingers crossed things actually happen - I'll ask when we can expect a reply.

Cheers matey.

[ed]
btw everyone - great questions!
Old 21-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
Excellent! :wrings hands:

Thanks Red - I'll email this today.
Fingers crossed things actually happen - I'll ask when we can expect a reply.

Cheers matey.

[ed]
btw everyone - great questions!
Did you email Firaxis or Sid personally?