Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-06-2005, 03:22 AM   #31
Broam

Tile World (http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tworld/) is a GPL'd clone of the Lynx and MS Windows version of Chip's Challenge, if you're looking for legal.

I remember having the MS version, came with a very old Gateway around 1990...

Old 21-08-2005, 02:02 AM   #32
Stebbi
Game Wizzard

i recently took my old harddrive who had that service pack and got all of those games
Stebbi is offline                         Send a private message to Stebbi
Old 21-08-2005, 04:28 AM   #33
duckpatch
Game freak

Did the service pack have Rodent's Revenge, Fuji Golf, etc. in it?
duckpatch is offline                         Send a private message to duckpatch
Old 21-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #34
Stebbi
Game Wizzard

i dont think it had fuji golf but i had rodent revenge
Stebbi is offline                         Send a private message to Stebbi
Old 19-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #35
moonbeam_2010

You guys have no idea how much I loved this game. My sister and I would try to beat eachothers' time on every level. If it wasn't for this game, King's Quest, and Final Fantasy, I'd not like games such as these; they're awesome!!

Loving every bit of the game,
Moonbeam

Old 20-11-2005, 01:01 AM   #36
Glider521al2
Lurker

Subject: CHIP'S CHALLENGE/TILEWORLD/EDITORS

I have both Good news and badnews.

The good news is I've found the freeware editor programs that work with Chip's Challenge (thanks to several yahoo groups and programmers on this topic). They are as follows:

The original editor can be found at:
http://www.stage62.com/chipedit/chipedit.htm

The more advanced set of editing tools can be found at:
http://cctools.translucentdragon.com/

The Yahoo group where you can find several files and links is:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/chips_challenge/

A separate yahoo news group is:
http://chips.kaseorg.com/newsgroup/

There is also a freeware version of Chip's challenge which keeps track of several levels at once as well as having better graphics.

NOTE: It may have (minimal) a few bugs (but they've never really been a problem to me when I used it).
For instance certain enemies are slower.

Tileworld can be downloaded at:
http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tworld/

The bad news is Chip's challenge is not abandon ware or freeware (this can be confirmed by the news group:

http://chips.kaseorg.com/newsgroup/

Experts of the site are currently looking into this.

I quote:
"No. Chip's Challenge is copyrighted software and cannot be legally copied or downloaded. (And so-called "abandonware" is just a myth; current U.S. law gives copyrighted works protection for at least 70 years.)"

"A much better option is to get Tile World, a free (and legal) clone of the game."

True EPYX unfortunately went banktrupt but another company has taken over. I now refer to it in the quote below:

"There is in fact a Chip's Challenge II. It was written by Chuck Sommerville, the same person who created the original Chip's Challenge when he worked for Epyx. The game is finished, and Chuck desperately wants to release it; unfortunately, he does not own any rights to the game. When Epyx went bankrupt in 1991, it was sold to Bridgestone Multimedia (now Alpha Omega Publications, http://www.aop.com/) along with the rights to all Epyx games, including Chip's Challenge. Bridgestone is refusing to publish Chip's Challenge II or allow it to be published by anyone else unless Chuck puts up some of his own money. That has been the situation for a few years, and this is not likely to change.

"However, there is some good news. Chuck is currently working on another game, called Puzzle Studio. Since it avoids use of the Chip's Challenge trademark and code, the legal issues that plague Chip's Challenge II will not be a problem. Not very much information is currently available about this game, other than that it will be a long time in development. To sign up for Chuck's mailing list about his games, send an e-mail message to <chips2info@ledeffects.com>.

Also, you may want to check out Tile World, a free clone of the original Chip's Challenge written by Brian Raiter , and Chip's Challenge Level Pack 2, the sequel to the original level pack created by Chip's Challenge fans...
anders@kaseorg.com"

Thanks for reading!!! Please reply if you've read this message.

From A.L. (first name NOT Andrew)
Glider521al2 is offline                         Send a private message to Glider521al2
Old 20-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #37
mouse31e
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Glider521al2@Nov 20 2005, 02:01 AM
"No. Chip's Challenge is copyrighted software and cannot be legally copied or downloaded. (And so-called "abandonware" is just a myth; current U.S. law gives copyrighted works protection for at least 70 years.)"
Most of us already knew that. We don't use abandonware as a legal term - we understand copyright law and are aware that we are breaking it. We use the term to cover old copyrighted software that is no longer for sale and use it to distinguish that software from old copyrighted software that is still for sale.

As Chip's Challenge is no longer for sale (unless you know differently) it falls within the boundaries that we have set for abandonware. If the publishers were to object to it being available for download (and I believe many are aware of our site and don't object) then I'm sure the download would be removed.

Anyway, thanks for the links - and I might try that freeware clone....

Though I still have the original game (somewhere in my piles of floppy disks!)
mouse31e is offline                         Send a private message to mouse31e
Old 26-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #38
eGGz
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by supraclk06@Feb 6 2005, 04:56 AM
do any of you guys remember the game where you had to trap the cats in between blocks.* i really wanna play that and i have looked online for it for about an hour now.* i just cant recall the game.* and if anyone could* direct me to a link of the entertainment pack i would greatly appreciate it.
Rodent's Revenge
eGGz is offline                         Send a private message to eGGz
Old 26-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #39
Thornwood
Forum hobbit

I've still got Chip's Challenge on my Windows 3.1, which my Mom is gracious enough not to get rid of because she likes the word processor better than the one on the XP. I beat the game a long time ago, in the sense that I got to and finished the last level. But I don't feel that I've truly 'beaten' it, since I had to skip some levels. But little by little I've been going back and beating them. But some of them are just so long! Especially level 144 (I think) where you have to fight through a whole room of force field floors to get those darned chips. I'd give you the passwords you need, but I don't have the book my family wrote them all down in; it's in Canada and I'm in Finland right now.

I remember Skifree, Pipedreams, and Rodent's Revenge. I managed to get past the yeti once, and was a little disappointed to find the course went in a loop. I don't say this to brag, either, because the only way I was able to do it was by constantly pausing and unpausing so I could avoid the obstacles. Why couldn't the yeti just eat those stupid noob skiiers that get in your way? Ah well, that was a good way to kill time. The other two I played every now and then, but I think they got deleted at one point. They were fun, but Skifree and Chip's Challenge were always my favourites, though I occasionally played Jezzball, Maxwell Maniac, and Minesweeper (not that the last isn't available on every Windows computer anyway).

EDIT: My Mom got rid of the old 3.1; she put up an ad for anyone who wanted it for free. She got about 20 offers on the first day, and just gave it to the first person. Gah! Why couldn't she have given it to her loving daughter?
Thornwood is offline                         Send a private message to Thornwood
Old 26-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #40
win98
In the loop on hardware.

My grandad had that on his 486 the powerpack broke a few years pack after it was given to me because he died and my nana did not know how to work it.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98