Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #21
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Oh, there are many great books out there. Just a few I read recently (I translated the titles freely from their Slovene translations):

Jaroslav Bocek - The case of dr. Karpeta (It's the mid 70's in Chekoslovakia. A respecable doctor has disapeared. His car was found parked near his office and no signs off strugle anywhere near it. The inspector investegating the case doesn't dare to tell his conclusion out loud because it's to fantastic, so he asks his pal from the chess club, who's a writer with more imagination, to take a look at the case and all the interviews and statements. EXCELENT)!
Jose Saramago - The Essay about Blindness (A hot summer day and a light is red. The cars are waiting in line for the light to change. It's green, but they're not moving. The car first in line doesn't start. When they come close enough they find the driver screeming - I'm blind!), I just love this style of writing. Sentances are very long and sometimes complicated to read, because they tell you so many contradictory stuff all at once you're not sure they're making fun, or are being sarcastic or are simply so fantasticaly true that they are beyond your comprehention. Even better is his book The documents about a Convict.
Umberto Eco - The name of the Rose (I think I don't really need to tell you much about it. You've probably saw the movie - if you haven't you must - it's one of the best movies every - still it hardly does justice to the excelent book)!

Among other favorites are definetly: The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, A Clockwork Orange and The Planet of Seven Suns (the last one is by the Sci-Fi master Charles Arthur Clarke - one of his less know titles, but also one of his best books - at least IMHO).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 22-01-2005, 06:23 PM   #22
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Well, the topic is "Most touching book...
But I dont' remember any more good touching books i've read :bleh:

Quote:
ose Saramago - The Essay about Blindness
I read a bit of it last year, but unfortunately I didn't have time to finish it. I will read it next summer, hopefully. I really liked the beginning, and I'd like to read more of it.

I love The DaVincy Code and Angels & Demons, by Dan Brown. Great books!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. Young wizard Merlyn. I read it few times and wrote an essay about it in 9th grade. Wonderful one. There were also prequels and sequels, I think. I haven't read them. Maybe I will, one day.

Galdur (Magic) by Vilborg Dagbjartsdóttir. It's about this lady that lived in Iceland couple of centuries ago. She meets this English sailor, and has a kid with him. But he leaves her, and goes back to England, before the baby is born. She has a son, names him Mikjál (old Icelandic form of Michael). The story is of him growing up, and it was difficult to grow up without a father in this time. Really good book.
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 22-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #23
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin@Jan 22 2005, 07:23 PM
I love The DaVincy Code and Angels & Demons, by Dan Brown.* Great books!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm reading Angels and Demons right now with a book discussion group, and my personal opinion is that Dan Brown is a pretentious, mediocre writer. Interesting concept, just poorly executed. But hey, to each her own.

Most touching book(s):

Literature: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Sci Fi: Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
Fantasy: Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce

taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 22-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #24
mika
Games Master

I dunno, I really enjoyed all of Dan Brown's books (except maybe Digital Fortress), but lately I've been getting into Clive Barker, like "The great and secret show", and "Imajica". The guy is really brilliant - wierd mind - but brilliant.
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 22-01-2005, 08:08 PM   #25
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This is a hard one, I'd have to say The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, or something like that, by Stephen King, there was just something about it, that made me love it.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 22-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #26
einherjar

A summary of Dan Brown's work: Blah blah blah stereotype, blah blah blah predictable event blah blah blah etc. Brown writes only for the sake of making money from the film version. The characters are flat and two dimensional, facts were litterally ripped out from "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," and a lot of stuff was made up or exaggerated just to keep the book flowing.

Although I wouldn't say he has written the most touching works I have ever read (believe me, if it's touching, I probably won't like it), but Kurt Vonnegut has written some of the best books I have read to date. I recommend "Breakfast of Champions" and "Cat's Cradle."

I'm currently reading "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller, which is about a bombardier in the American air force in World War II who is desperately trying to go home while his commanding officer keeps increasing the number of missions he must fly.

Old 22-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #27
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Dan Brown is good if you want a light read for at the beach or something.
Old 22-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #28
einherjar

I can't think of any circumstances that would warrant even a glancing perusal of the book. It is hype, plain and simple.

Old 22-01-2005, 08:16 PM   #29
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You need to cool, his books are a passing enjoyment, I've enjoyed quite a few of them, I agree, it definatly is a light read for anywhere on the go.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 22-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #30
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by einherjar@Jan 22 2005, 09:14 PM
I can't think of any circumstances that would warrant even a glancing perusal of the book. It is hype, plain and simple.
I picked it up without knowing it was popular. It was my brother who told me everyone seems to be reading his books.