Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-07-2005, 09:40 AM   #11
Apocalypse Dude
Super Freak

Try downloading the Ultimate Boot CD. This is a bootable CD with very much HDD and data recovery tools on it, It also has a couple of memory tests on it. I work as a Repair engineer at a computer company and we use it to detect any problems on HDD's and memory. www.ultimatebootcd.com
Apocalypse Dude is offline                         Send a private message to Apocalypse Dude
Old 23-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #12
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

@vipin

My ram is brand new. 512MB Kingston and 2x128MB other.
FDISK is no longer part of Windows since XP(an I'm quite sorry about that), it has CHECKDISK but it's good as a pile of cr@p when it comes to solving problems
As I told it before, I scanned my whole comp with a freshly updated NAV2005 and that's the best on market. Nothing found, just a lousy spyware(google toolbar) that has nothing to do with this.

@A.D.

THANKS DUDE!!!! This is just what I was looking for! A dream come true But there is a slight problem with that
The download is 64MB which is quite a load for my 56K modem. Approx 3 days of continious download, which is too much in time AND money.
But that's the best option so far k: I just need to get a copy of that, but how....

@all

There is a bit of info I didn't told you before, I tought it's so insignificant, but as we shoot out the choises, I think I should tell ya.
Just before all this started, as I told you I reinstalled XP becouse of the videocard problems. Just after the install, XP started to send me errors about some of my files are corrupted and I need to run CHKDSK. After restart CHKDSK launched and started to flood me with errors about my disk and "fixed" them on the fly. The majority was about correcting indexes of files. I remeber seeing "I$36" index in 43223 file(s)" or something like that.
I think CHKDSK ruined the indexes of the files now corrupted. I'm getting certain that utility is the one causing me trouble...

Any ideas on this one?

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 23-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #13
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

That little piece of info is very important.
I would say that almost certainly your hard drive is the problem. If it has guarantee, change it for another one.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 23-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #14
Apocalypse Dude
Super Freak

To bad you live in hungary otherwise I could have send it to you by mail, don't you know anyone with a broadband internet conenction?

Apocalypse Dude is offline                         Send a private message to Apocalypse Dude
Old 23-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #15
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin
I am quite sure it is RAM problem. You can test it with your any of your friends RAM just for 2-3 hours. (I also had some problems with my brand new RAM, just try it if u can).

Well if you don't wanna try that thing, u must be having an ORIGINAL OEM WINDOWS 98 CD. You can boot from that CD to get in DOS along with full FDISK support. If you don't have, visit a cyber cafe(which still run Windows 98) and their go to Control Panel->Add/Remove Program->Startup Disk->Create Disk to create your bootable floppy and format your entire harddisk using FDISK.
Since many people here are suggesting a harddrive problem, I think this is the best and economical way for your 56 K modem!

As far as formatting and creating a bootable floppy disk goes, there are some small programs also to do the job! I have a small 800 KB program System Disk, which can make a bootable floppy!
You need two floppy disks!

OK,I have uploaded the tool for you on rapidshare.de here at:-
http://rapidshare.de/files/3291586/System_Disk.exe.html

(SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE, CHOOSE FREE DOWNLOAD AND IN THE NEXT PAGE YOU WILL GET THE LINK, NOTE: DISABLE ALL OF YOUR DOWNLOAD MANAGERS. THOUGH FLASHGET IS SUPPORTED, BUT RESUME IS NOT SUPPORTED)
Create the first bootable floppy disk using this program and if space is left write the fdisk program (unzipped) on this floppy or in other floppy!

Anyway, you can download the FDISK(192 KB) Program from here:-

http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/

(Choose FREE FDISK 1.2.1)

Get to know about some cool DOS tips here(maybe interesting):-
http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.p...=FdDocEn.Gamers

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP?

See here:- http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

After doing all this, I guess you know to make BIOS changes to boot from Floppy Disk!

Thanx :angel:
Old 23-07-2005, 05:42 PM   #16
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

wow vipin you did great with this I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I have these programs and I know all about Windows and it's contents. I'm in business since I got my first PC and that was a loong time ago
If I wanted to format my HD or partition it to death, I have some cool programs for that BUT

As I said before FIRST I want to RECOVER my CORRUPTED DATA from my HD before EVEN THINKING about formatting. Believe me, I've done it thousands of times before. I'm the "help desk assistant" around here if it comes to malfunctioning computers k: Everybody comes to me around here if they have a PC problem, and most likely I was able solve them until now
I don't want to brag, that's not my style really, I just wanted to approximate the level of this discussion, no offense everybody

Sooo,
My HD is seemingly dying. I'm quite sure of that, but I NEED TO recover my data (un-corrupt them) before I could even think about backing them up or formatting. I belive the problem lies whitin the indexes CHKDSK was so kindly "fixed". So I'd like to know if somebody has an idea to "un-fix" the indexes? Please?

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 23-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #17
lethe
Game freak

When you reinstalled Windows, did you use the same username than the previous one? It might be corruped because you don't have admin access to them.
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 23-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #18
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Quote:
Originally posted by lethe@Jul 23 2005, 07:23 PM
When you reinstalled Windows, did you use the same username than the previous one? It might be corruped because you don't have admin access to them.
Whut?! The username doesn't matter a bit here. If I havent got admin privilegs I couldn't even launch the files. But I'm logged in as admin and that disables any kind of problem that type. And the NTFS securtity doesnt corrupt files, it just makes them user only, wich means only the designated user can access them. If anybody else tries to access NTFS protected data, they get an "Access denied" error, but no "The program doesn't fit in the memory" one.

But thanks anyways k:

Old 23-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #19
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Hi Play

Windows XP has a 'Restore' facility. You can restore your pc to an earlier date, before all the problems started and the pc will use settings from that date.

Have you tried that?

k:

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 24-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #20
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

Quote:
Originally posted by Frodo@Jul 23 2005, 09:31 PM
Hi Play

Windows XP has a 'Restore' facility.* You can restore your pc to an earlier date, before all the problems started and the pc will use settings from that date.

Have you tried that?

k:
i don' t want to be the bad pressage guy but, that "system restore" at Win XP (forgive me this expression) is a big BULL$HIT. i never saw it work properly :angry:
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek