Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy View Post
Did you guys really not read the OP?

He said he'd use it to mostly play Warcraft 3 and abandonware. I don't know about you, but the integrated chipsets today can play those obviously.
64MB integrated card? Not gonna happen! Though - he may not need DoS to play quiet a few oldies. :laugh:
Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

What?

One of my PCs has a 64MB integrated chipset card, this is an Intel, which is amongst the worst of the bunch and I've run Warcraft III on the highest settings, ON Battle.net, and without a sign of slowdown.

You're not going to need that much juice for a six year old game, even if it is an integrated card.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon

Last edited by Blood-Pigggy; 02-04-2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Mind Your Own Business Wanker
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #13
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
He said he'd use it to mostly play Warcraft 3 and abandonware. I don't know about you, but the integrated chipsets today can play those obviously.
You obviously underestimate the power required to play newer 3D games. I could not play Warcraft III without most visual options turned off else I'd be lagging, or keep up much longer with games like WoW since they up their system requirement with time as technology advance...

It's obvious that the integrated graphic card is enough to play old DOS games. However, if you plan to use the computer for at least two years and you do want to play the newer games which will come out, then you need to think ahead. a 256 megs card is the minimum I'd recommend unless you want to end up with a new computer in a year and a half...
Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #14
Juanca
Eternal Player

Thanks for your comments, I believe that blood pigggy's arguments are acceptable but also think that the last statement of Eagle is very important and i suppose definitely that he won't stick to warcraft III forever so certainly a newer game will come.
the inboard chipset is intel graphics media accelerator 950 which i found on another place that is modest and will work, but not recommendable for gaming so, if he has the money why not upgrade it to something that he certainly will use on the next years? he took a Nvidia Geforce 8 series gtx (256mb up to 500mb)
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #15
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

You can always add/upgrade the card later. If money is an issue and your happy in the abandonware environment then wait until you need it. The prices may come down and the technology will improve.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #16
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

It's always better to have the card inside the computer when you purchase it, unless you expect that a new card you're eyeing is going to be out later on or you can actually install the card yourself. Else, you'll have to pay extra to have the card installed in the box. The labour is really what make the difference.

Plus, most of the rigs you purchase come with a compatibility waranty. Meaning that if you purchase it with the rig, you're sure it will work. Which is not exactly what I'd call garanteed when you add it later, though it's rare it won't work.

Edit: Also, I'm not really sure how things works where you are... But if you're going to take a loan to pay it, then it's in your best interest to get the card in the full package. Else you'll need to find the money later on, you won't be able to add it to your load or whatever you pay each month...
Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #17
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
You can always add/upgrade the card later. If money is an issue and your happy in the abandonware environment then wait until you need it. The prices may come down and the technology will improve.
That's a wise advice, let us see if he hasn't purchased it yet, and he should try the new computer without it for a while and take the decision when the need will come :amused:

As for Eagle comment, I think it won't be a problem if you buy everything from the same vendor/assembler and i am sure he will be able to set some agreement to be able to keep the warranty if he decides later to install the card.
thanks again.
Sri Aurobindo

Last edited by Juanca; 03-04-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 AM   #18
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Else, you'll have to pay extra to have the card installed in the box. The labour is really what make the difference.
You don't install your own hardware?? You pay someone to do it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Plus, most of the rigs you purchase come with a compatibility waranty. Meaning that if you purchase it with the rig, you're sure it will work. Which is not exactly what I'd call garanteed when you add it later, though it's rare it won't work.
You mean that he should look if there is AGP/PCIexpress slot in the compute before he purchase computer. Friend of mine just purchased 64MB card for 10 bucks for his eMachine (worst type of computers IMHO). For him even integrated card he has been using past 4 yeas was sufficient enough to play Warcraft 3 and C&C games. Kind a behind, don't you think.

I think it is the best to wait, as prices are going down... :amused:

ps. Just for info, my 4 year old laptop has 32MB and new laptop has 128MB on the board. (not shared, but it's own separated memory in both cases) If you can get one that does not share the memory - then better, but even if you can't, today most of computers have very fast memory.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #19
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

the trouble with integrated videocards are drivers, bp. and there are always some kind of different issues too. he doesn't have to buy awesome ultra geeforcae 235092348523905 gtx pro omg ultra. simple old cheap radeon could handle it. but not integrated
Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #20
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
awesome ultra geeforcae 235092348523905 gtx pro omg ultra.
Where can I buy one? :nuts: