Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 20-01-2007, 04:29 AM   #31
Shiningserpnt

Send a message via MSN to Shiningserpnt

I have to disagree with those of you who say that newer game aren't as good. Just to name some really good titles from the past few years...

Metal Gear Solid 3
Resident Evil 4
Guitar Hero 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 12
Battlefield 2
The Suffering
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
God of War
Burnout 3
Gran Turismo 4
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Shiningserpnt is offline                         Send a private message to Shiningserpnt
Old 20-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #32
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I hope it's a joke, Shiningserpnt, else it's not really funny... Most of the games mentioned in your last post are really, really bad. Especially in term of originality.

How many FF can you make without sacrificing the originality? <_<
Old 20-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #33
JJXB
Pi-voh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shiningserpnt @ Jan 20 2007, 06:29 AM) [snapback]275735[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Metal Gear Solid 3
The Suffering
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas[/b]
hmm... these are the only decent ones i can see (i can't pass judgement on zelda and RE4 though)
but they don't have the same draw as the original zelda when it came out or the original RE on PSX when it came out. i mean it's fun going round as CJ in san andreas knifing random people from behind :P but when the original GTA came out it was a new concept rather than an idea that has been recycled but improved to a point that if you compared GTA and san andreas they wouldn't look or play like they are in the same series (i know partly due to technical limitations when GTA was made but that's a moot point)
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 21-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #34
Avelardo
Abandonia nerd

I must be old, because I still get a kick out of playing games like MOO, even after having experienced Halo 2 and GoW, etc. Pretty pictures and a high framerate is nice, but originality is good too.
Avelardo is offline                         Send a private message to Avelardo
Old 21-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #35
Shiningserpnt

Send a message via MSN to Shiningserpnt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Jan 20 2007, 04:46 AM) [snapback]275752[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I hope it's a joke, Shiningserpnt, else it's not really funny... Most of the games mentioned in your last post are really, really bad. Especially in term of originality.

How many FF can you make without sacrificing the originality? <_<
[/b]

If all you base your opinion of a game on is originality, 99% of all the games in history suck. Since the 70's people have been ripping other people's games, this isn't exactly a new trend. How many older games can you say are truly original either?

Besides that, being that they are games, the most important thing in them gameplay. So long as it's fun then why does it matter that much how original it is?

How many of those did you actually play, and, more importantly, how long did you play them before you decided that that are really, really bad?
Shiningserpnt is offline                         Send a private message to Shiningserpnt
Old 22-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #36
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I played very many games earlier, and I played some of the "new" games, and I can't agree with you, the games you mentioned above don't come in comparison with the classic Dos games when it comes down to fun. As for San Andreas, it might be ok but I already was turned off by unnecessary graphical violence in the previous GTA game so I simply avoid them both, thinking that that's stupid games. But that's a personal opinion.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 22-01-2007, 08:25 AM   #37
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scatty @ Jan 22 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]275923[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
But that's a personal opinion.
[/b]
I find it funny how we all tend to forget too often that that is true, and that opinions are just that; personal opinions. Like taste and preferences, opinions on what makes a good game can't be discussed in terms of right or wrong. One thing about it is that it comes down to the kinds of associations you make. Why on earth should we all have the same associations, and why on earth do we keep forgetting this?
Old 22-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #38
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

I play games for two things:

Story or Fun.

If the story's good or the game's a lot of fun (or both), then I play the game, no matter how new or old it is.

If, however, the story is good, but the game a pile of crap with no enjoyment at all, then I prefer reading a book.

That's why I love the old-school adventures so much. It's like playing a book.
Don Andy is offline                         Send a private message to Don Andy
Old 24-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #39
mglsharkson

I play both new and old games - the discussion is like asking which you like better - apples or oranges?

I rate games by length of time I put in (I must really like it if I keep playing!) divided by cost.

Right now I am playing Realms of the Haunting full 4cd version - graphics, controls and video clips are dated but I am having a great time! Glad I paid $10 for the full game used rather then play the free cd rip version.

What I play in new games that I like:

Alice
HL 2 plus mods / add ons but gameplay / length HL 1 still rules!!!! I like Steam for updating the graphics on HL 1 putting new life into a classic. I still go online for Day of Defeat, Deathmatch classice, etc. to get crushed!
Painkiller - I know mindless FPS clone but so much fun!
Doom 3 plus mods / add ons - scary at night.
Unreal tourment - must be my age I prefer less chrome in this older version compare to Unreal 2004, sometimes DM but moslty monster hunt I chuckle at some of the creative levels design by fans.
Alien vs Predator 2 - love the solo missions and last man alive online play
Wargames:
TOAW - COW still play this one via e mail!
Combat Mission BO/Berlin/Ak still via e mail!
All Steel Panthers versions

Some of this titles are "old" but not "old" enough for old games!

Old games:

Realms - noted above
Legacy - realm of terror & Stonekkeep - just started, finally found a walkthru for "tough" spots, next in line to play.
V for Victory series - great wargames!
Conflict Middleeast - play this game to death, seldom "win".
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe - love this game, graphic sucks today but so much fun just to fly and shoot down stuff! Not abanonware I believe.
Colonial Conquest (Atari ST) love this game, playing via e mail right now.
Dungeon Master (ST and PC - PC version rewrittin by a big fan)) First RPG that made me play to the end, want to play the squels.

So I think there are plenty of good stuff coming out along with the junk, just read reviews and try the demo's out or (like me) wait a year or two to get them at bargin bin - half price or less!

Old 24-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #40
humorguy
Super Freak

Totally agree, I enjoyed Oblivion, but know I am enjoying another similar game called Outcast, about 5 years old, and am also playing Darklands, 15 years old, and I have just started playing Dungeon Seige 1, which is 2/3 years old.

I don't consider listing them in 'modern' or 'retro' or 'new' or 'old', I only ever list them in like or dislike order, because I don;t think age has anything to do with gameplay. Is Rubik's Cube modern and hopscotch retro? Is Monopoly modern and Snakes and Ladders retro? No. They are all just games enjoyed by all ages at various ages.

So I play computer games. That's all, computer games. If you want to list the games I am playing in chronological order, fine, go ahead. but I never would.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Closed Thread