Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
I am not registered
Default Read only error, maybe causing "no space for dos partition" error?

Okay i give up i've been at this since noon.

Can you help me?

i'm trying to set up dosbox to play some older pc games. The problem i have is setting up the partition. I keep getting the error "no space to create a DOS partition".
The thing is i have no partitions.

so far i have everything for this partition and these games in a file folder, but the folder is read only. I can uncheck the read only box, but after i close the properties window, it becomes checked again. there's no error message or anything like that, it just won't change. I have full permissions, and am an administrator. I've googled but i haven't found anything that worked. i opened command prompt and used the attrib command but it also failed. I made sure user account control was off also.

can someone help me with this?

if it's relevant, the folder i have all the games and .img files is called "games", and is on the desktop. I'm following this guide, trying to set up windows 98se. I also was using this video.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am not registered View Post
Can you help me?
Yes, but you probably won't take any advise anyway as you try to set up W98SE in dosbox, obviously without having the needed basic knowledge to do so..... (no pun intended, but it shows from your post you have a lot to learn, it's possible to learn, but will take time, and no, there is no 'easy' way .....)

Best advise is: don't use dosbox for this, get yourself VPC2007.
Take it or leave it.

And I'm outta here.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

How large is the HDD image you have created and how are you mounting it?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
I am not registered

the hdd is 400mb, like the one in the guide, and i'm trying to partition a section to mount it onto, but can't. VPC2007 isn't compatible with win7, but i found the VPC that is. could you point me to a walkthrough of how to install the win98se on it without it overwriting the win7 that is my actual OS?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
I am not registered

dosraider: well i've gotten farther, but now i have another problem.

After i get to the place where you chose to "install with cd support", it just goes to the command line and i can do nothing to finish the install. How do i fix this?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
I am not registered

this is the screen i end up on.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
I am not registered

okay i got it to do something. now it flashes the windows 98 startpage and then does this.

i still can't get it to actually start mind you. what do i do to make it work?

Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am not registered View Post
VPC2007 isn't compatible with win7.....
??????????????????????????????
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=25508

And a detailed install guide:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28390

FYI: if you get a 'not supported' message simply ignore it, it works, tested on starter (but needs a bit more work) / home / bussiness / proffesional Win7 32-64 .....

As for your question:
On first sight I would say you need to install W98, so go to your CD drive and input setup
My question is why your CD drive is mounted as F: ? Should be E: as the RAM drive for diagnostics should be D: , and once installed CD drive should become D:

Drives when installing should be:
C:
D: RAM drive
E: CD drive with W98 CD

Or do you have created a partitioned VHD ??????????

Details details details ........

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 03-06-2013 at 02:07 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
I am not registered

it wouldn't open when i installed it.

But on the recent one, i've almost got it. I managed to get into c:\win98, but whenever i type setup or setup.exe it says the command is bad.

i cant get it to copy from the d drive to the c drive properly either. i get the "Invalid media type abort retry fail" error.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
I am not registered

yes dosraider i have a partitioned vm because it wouldn't install until i set it up with the partition. And when i try to copy from e: it says "invalid drive specification". Also i'm going to register so i can edit my posts.