Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
KrazeeXXL
BORG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo
At any rate when I had the case open I touched the copper heat sink and it felt really hot, which is good. It would be bad if the circuitry were hot but the heatsink weren't.
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo
Right now I have closed the case again, with no activity whatsoever I have around 50º C (ambient 20º). Enabling double desktop and reproducing a video raises it to around 76º and the fan spins at around 15% (over the minimum), but I haven't had the problem again. These 76º C are below the middle of the temperature gauge shown in Catalyst, not in the red or orange, as if it's a safe value.
well it's still high. I think the Automatic Fan Control of the card is just bad :/

I tested with my card while watching a 1080p video over the GPU (with MPCHC) and the temperature didn't change at all. just the fan jumped from something around 40 to 80% (environment temp is at 25°C atm)

as a reference since 4650 and 3850 are ca. the same age and tech. 76 °C I only get in a real hot summer when I play f.e. Fallout 3 and the load is almost at a hundred percent. So adjusting the Automatic fanspeed manually to a specific and constant value seems to be the best solution imo - if you don't want to lose the card soon. (no matter what ccc says: if red, green or orange, 76°C is dang hot for that almost nothing happens)

Last edited by KrazeeXXL; 25-04-2011 at 10:46 PM.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 28-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

OK you sold me, I'm going to tweak the fan control right away. Who would want to be on the unsafe side anyway, the only downside of fan speed is noise.
Old 28-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
KrazeeXXL
BORG

in this case: just turn up the music so fans noise won't bother you anymore

edit: well, when it's a big problem you could also "underclock" your graphics card. I dunno if it would help much but could be worth a try

Last edited by KrazeeXXL; 28-04-2011 at 12:14 PM.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 28-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

I haven't tried yet a lot with high loads, I meant noise would be the only possible downside, not that it's being so right now. I'm moving to a new home so I've had little time. I see I can tweak clock rates too, I'll look it up if necessary.

Last edited by Japo; 28-04-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 28-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Japo
Autonomous human

LOL:
http://memebase.com/2011/04/28/memes...he-brightness/

I have "broken the seal" of unlocking the preset. First I've tried an auto-tune run, it has actually upped the maximum clock rates a bit (not the idling ones), but I don't know yet what it has done with the fan speed vs. activity and temperature. I'll keep paying attention. I have also tried setting the fan manually, at 100% it is noisy, but it's normal aerodynamic noise, no mechanical rattle. With no activity the fan could lower the temperature from the usual 50º C to 34º, although the difference will be much bigger when there's high activity and heat generation. I'll keep an eye on it.