Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #371
Mr. Atreides
Lurker

I'm relatively new to abandonia, but as a big Dune fan I had to download all the Dune games I could get and try them out. Each game had it's own good parts. The first game(as someone here already mentioned) may have appeared as done by somebody with an only basic idea of the storyline, but the game is awesome nonetheless.
Top Three Hated Moments.
1. When Duke Leto heard that a sietch had been taken over by the Harkonnen, yelled and said that he has to go on a mission he may not come back from and simply vanished from the storyline.
2.When Duke Leto was on the balcony speaking about Caladan and the dunes and suddenly starts quoting Lynch's Leto saying THE SLEEPER MUST AWAKEN.
3. When that annoying Shaddam couldn't leave me alone and just wanted more and more spice.
Top Three Weirdest Moments.
1.When I saw Duncan Idaho.
2.When I saw Thufir Hawat.
3.When I saw Shaddam Corrino IV and Baron Harkonnen.

Anyway, the rest of the game(besides the dull I've-got-nothin'-to-do moments) was a great combination of strategy and first-person adventure.
Mr. Atreides is offline                         Send a private message to Mr. Atreides
Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #372
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
1. When Duke Leto heard that a sietch had been taken over by the Harkonnen, yelled and said that he has to go on a mission he may not come back from and simply vanished from the storyline.
IIRC Jessica mentions his death later.

Quote:
3. When that annoying Shaddam couldn't leave me alone and just wanted more and more spice.
Mine out the first bunch of territories before you go to the desert and start having visions. The plot won't progress, the Emperor won't demand any Spice for a while and you'll have plenty of time to prepare to leap onto the new territories you find after that.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #373
Default I got the music but NO AUDIO from charcacters! HELP??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
And for the people who can't get the music to work (Win XP with Sp2)

Download VDMSound

Run install WITH VDM-sound (the cd-version stutters that it can't mount the file, neglect it)

Automatic configuration

Run dune with VDM-sound.

I have the VOICES and the Sound!

WOOOTTT :bleh:
__________________________________________________ _________

I have download VDM-sound~~ I got the music but NO AUDIO from charcacters! HELP?? I got the music but NO AUDIO from charcacters! HELP??
I got the music but NO AUDIO from charcacters! HELP??

Old 24-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #374
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I have download VDM-sound~~ I got the music but NO AUDIO from charcacters! HELP??
No need to repeat yourself. Since you did not state otherwise, I assume you've gotten the game from Abandonia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
The PC floppy version doesn't have voice-overs. The PC CD version does have voice overs.
The copy we host directly on the site is the floppy version. The CD version is available through the ISO Cellar.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #375
markjl
Lurker

I really liked Dune. I now play Mars Frontier on Facebook. Are there any other recent equivalents?
markjl is offline                         Send a private message to markjl
Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #376
zymnos

So many evenings spent with that game - fascinating plot, beautiful graphics (landscapes, sunsets) and interesting characters. It had only one disadvantage - plot in adventure layer of the game was very line one. There was only one path to finish it. But it doesn't matter overall, one of the best games in history!

Last edited by zymnos; 02-06-2013 at 09:58 PM.
zymnos is offline                         Send a private message to zymnos
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #377
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
I really liked Dune. I now play Mars Frontier on Facebook. Are there any other recent equivalents?
I never came across a game which look like anything similar to Dune since Dune got out.

Quote:
So many evenings spent with that game - fascinating plot, beautiful graphics (landscapes, sunsets) and interesting characters. It had only one disadvantage - plot in adventure layer of the game was very line one. There was only one path to finish it. But it doesn't matter overall, one of the best games in hitory!
Well... Dune first and foremost is a novel. They used the novel to adapt a movie which turned out to be very popular at the time it got out and they wanted to cash in to that by making games out of it. It was a popular trend at the time.

Since the story is taken almost literally from the books and expanded to make a game out of it (same happened for Dune II) then there is very little room for the game designers to move past the main storyline plot and do something new.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #378
Ripperian
Forum hobbit

Hi, I started to play this game recently. I Never played it before.

I was handling the situation, sending the spice to the emperor, taking rides with Harah finding new sietches, meeting Stilgar with his sietches, discovering one village and heard for another one near by, but I couldn't take the weapons I found on my own palace.
Maybe is not that difficult, but I don't know how to take them.

Any help on this?
Ripperian is offline                         Send a private message to Ripperian
Old 11-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #379
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperian View Post
I was handling the situation, sending the spice to the emperor, taking rides with Harah finding new sietches, meeting Stilgar with his sietches, discovering one village and heard for another one near by, but I couldn't take the weapons I found on my own palace.
Maybe is not that difficult, but I don't know how to take them.
IIRC you need to move a group of fremen to the same location and then you'll be able to equip the weapons on the planet map.

-- Reed Richards
Old 19-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #380
Ripperian
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
IIRC you need to move a group of fremen to the same location and then you'll be able to equip the weapons on the planet map.
I returned to this today.

I try to do that, but they don't want to go to the palace. And if you order them to go and search for equipment, they don't know where to go.

I even read a few walkthroughs and none of them say something to how use that weapons. I'm starting to think that those weapons can't be taken, but I found really confusing (and lame) finding an armory full of weapons on my own palace and later that you can't even use them for no reason.

Now I'm doubting whether I'm stuck or trying to do something that it's not allowed.
Ripperian is offline                         Send a private message to Ripperian