Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-03-2006, 11:47 PM   #61
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Mar 23 2006, 04:45 PM
Taken from another site:
Quote:
Regarding the current unavailability of the site:
Sarinee Achavanuntakul, in a rare public appearance in IRC, related that this problem is due to credit card details, and the domain would be working soon. In the meantime, the site is accessible at http://209.120.136.195/
The downloads still don't work - still get the advert page.

The Underdog forums don't work either.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 24-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #62
Red Sandwich

The reason that some people have still been able to access HOTU via its URL is almost certainly because their HTTP requests are going either implicitly or explicitly via a cache that their ISP runs. Hence their browsers' requests are never actually trying to access the site itself. Instead, their ISP is serving the old cached copy of the site.
Red Sandwich is offline                         Send a private message to Red Sandwich
Old 24-03-2006, 02:23 AM   #63
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Sandwich@Mar 23 2006, 08:10 PM
The reason that some people have still been able to access HOTU via its URL is almost certainly because their HTTP requests are going either implicitly or explicitly via a cache that their ISP runs. Hence their browsers' requests are never actually trying to access the site itself. Instead, their ISP is serving the old cached copy of the site.
Close, but no cigar: it's DNS caching, not HTTP caching.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 24-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #64
chickenman
Hero Gamer

I can connect and download fine by the URL
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 24-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #65
The Good Soldier Švejk
[BANNED]

I can NOT do that!

:ranting: :help:

:not_ok:
The Good Soldier Švejk is offline                         Send a private message to The Good Soldier Švejk
Old 24-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #66
Luso
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andy+Mar 21 2006, 07:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Don Andy @ Mar 21 2006, 07:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Quintopotere@Mar 21 2006, 08:20 PM

HotU vanished!!

Maybe someone will steal that domain name...* :whistle:
Let's buy it and let it link to Abandonia.

Now that would be vile LOL[/b][/quote]

i agree ! make that
Luso is offline                         Send a private message to Luso
Old 24-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #67
Red Sandwich

Quote:
Originally posted by plix+Mar 24 2006, 03:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (plix @ Mar 24 2006, 03:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Red Sandwich@Mar 23 2006, 08:10 PM
The reason that some people have still been able to access HOTU via its URL is almost certainly because their HTTP requests are going either implicitly or explicitly via a cache that their ISP runs.* Hence their browsers' requests are never actually trying to access the site itself.* Instead, their ISP is serving the old cached copy of the site.
Close, but no cigar: it's DNS caching, not HTTP caching. [/b][/quote]
Well I'm afraid that you have your cigar inserted in the wrong part of your anatomy.

DNS caching has nothing to do with this. Many ISPs, particularly the larger ones, maintain web page caches because caching of frequently accessed sites can help them to significantly reduce their page traffic from the Internet, thus saving them bandwidth and expense.
Red Sandwich is offline                         Send a private message to Red Sandwich
Old 24-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #68
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Sandwich@Mar 24 2006, 11:29 AM
DNS caching has nothing to do with this. Many ISPs, particularly the larger ones, maintain web page caches because caching of frequently accessed sites can help them to significantly reduce their page traffic from the Internet, thus saving them bandwidth and expense.
It has everything to do with this. I'm familiar with content proxying (which is what you're talking about), but that's not what's at issue here.

If it were a content proxying issue people behind such proxies would see a stale version of the forum, for example, while everyone else would see the fresh version (assuming they visited using the IP; otherwise they'd see that registration.com parked page). Are you even familiar with what DNS caching is? I was hitting the page just fine because of my ISP's DNS cache and was getting fresh content without any trouble whatsoever. Since then the cache has expired and has updated to now point me at that registration.com page.

Anyone still getting to the site just fine will tell you that when they ping/traceroute/lookup the domain they'll get the IP of the site, anyone getting the parked page will respond with a different IP (should be something like 69.25.142.52).
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 26-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #69
software2k
Lurker

I never visit Hotu anyways. For a person with dial-up it take 5 minutes just to load one page, then when you get to the game you like you find out that you can't even download it. You would think it would say if it's freeware, abandonware or whatever before you click on it.
software2k is offline                         Send a private message to software2k
Old 26-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #70
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Ouch!

Good thing that HOTU is not gone for good.

Ironically, in my wrestling forum game, were going to hold the HOTU One Night Stand....
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen