Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #131
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

No worries, feel free to ask any more questions you need to.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 02-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #132
robbo316

Default New data sheets

Been redoing some sheets for OT. It includes the original Ship Loading sheets, but I have included a manifest, Ship Order sheet, Loans, Money Investments, and begun work on the exports/imports. I have only done Europe, mainly because I have run out of patience. If anyone wants to finish them up, feel free to do so and repost. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=84X29BB8 There are two versions included: .xls and .xlsx
robbo316 is offline                         Send a private message to robbo316
Old 19-07-2011, 02:50 AM   #133
Barsuk (unreg yet)

Hi, a newcomer here...
Does anyone know plz how difficulty settins for your competitors work? I mean, if I put Rokfeller to "Professional" - will he be much smarter than normal, or, to the contrary, he'll get more troubles making money?

Old 19-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #134
mayti
Lurker

Hi,

I am a big fan of ports of call and i now start learning O.T

I have a few questions, if you help me there, I would be glad.

1- when the goods replenish after running out?

2- ships collide too often. are there safer routes?

3. What are the advantages or disadvantages of planning a new ship or buying a new one?

thx

Last edited by mayti; 22-09-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: questions changed.
mayti is offline                         Send a private message to mayti
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #135
Lostness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayti View Post
Hi,

I am a big fan of ports of call and i now start learning O.T

I have a few questions, if you help me there, I would be glad.

1- when the goods replenish after running out?

2- ships collide too often. are there safer routes?

3. What are the advantages or disadvantages of planning a new ship or buying a new one?

thx
Goods replenish at the end of each month. The amount it replenishes depends on the importance of the harbor. More important harbors replenish faster.

There do not seem to be any routes safer then others in regards to collisions. Storms, however, are more likely to happen in the Gulf of Mexico, north of Australia / south of Japan.

Used ships do not follow any set pattern, in that their size, speed and range vary, as well as their age. Older ships require more maintenance and do not survive storms as well, and are more likely to break down. As well, make sure to pay attention to the range and speed of a used ship. In designing your own ships, you can set the speed and fuel to the max, allowing you the ability to quickly move priority cargo anywhere.

For Barsuk: the difficulty level for your competitors determines what ship (or ships) they start with. It seems to follow the same pattern you do, in that on easy mode they start with two ships (a container ship and a general cargo ship I believe) and $10mil and on professional they start with a costal cargo ship and $3mil. Besides that, I do not see any difference.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #136
mortenesser

Default a little game guide

Hi guys

I just stumbled across this game again, after some years, and have had great fun playing it again. I also read through this thread with interest and have written a little game guide, to all first timers of this game.

I have found some posts in this forum so great, that I have included them more or less as is in the relevant sections of the guide, and credited the author were appropriate.

I hope you can use it

(I am no expert playing this game, so let me know about any comments you might have. )
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ocean Trader.zip (494.2 KB, 2035 views)
mortenesser is offline                         Send a private message to mortenesser
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #137
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I think that's a great idea!
It could be useful to expand the very last part that discusses the various ship types and maybe indicate the best use of each ship (e.g. typical profitable goods that can be transported by that ship)

P.S. very nice of you to refer to us in the credits, much appreciated
Old 15-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #138
Yet another guest
Question An actual manual

Hi Everyone,

Classic game.

Once there was a manual with an overview of the ships and ports and everything.

I rememebr locating it online some years ago but now I'm unable to.

Is it my searching that 's getting worse of is it just not there anymore?

Don't get me wrong I live what Morten has created based on all the valuable input from you all. Just remember the manual as being handy because it basically said which ports imported and exported the various goods.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #139
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yet another guest View Post
Hi Everyone,

Classic game.

Once there was a manual with an overview of the ships and ports and everything.

I rememebr locating it online some years ago but now I'm unable to.

Is it my searching that 's getting worse of is it just not there anymore?

Don't get me wrong I live what Morten has created based on all the valuable input from you all. Just remember the manual as being handy because it basically said which ports imported and exported the various goods.
There must have been some manual that helped you to figure out which ships can carry which goods.
However when it comes to ports and the goods they carry, someone on the forum uploaded an excel overview of that in early January 2009.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #140
Smashgorand

March 2013 ...

I'm wondering if anyone is still playing Ocean Trader?

I've seen some old posts here asking for game manuals and what not. I own an set of original CD's for this game (yes, I purchased it way back-when) and I'm pretty sure I still have the CD's somewhere.
One CD was of course the game itself, the other CD contained a digital version of the game manual stored in a PDF file. I could upload the PDF somewhere and drop a link for it, if anyone is interested.

This game is definately among my favorites. A while a go I started researching the data files for the game and I have managed to figure out most of the game contents. So far I have decoded all the graphics in the game, i.e.: still images, buttons, icons, the books, ships ect. and also the 3 different fonts used. I have also decoded a lot of other data from the game itself - wont bore you all with the details.

I'm falling a bit short on figuring out some of the math formulas - does anyone know how OT calculates fuel consumption / distance based on the ship itself?
I know there are some engine size factors inthere somewhere but it just eludes me how the game actually determines the amount of fuel and distance the ship can travel. You can set the engine speed at a percentage and the game then calculates the fuel consumption and distance the ship can travel. But what's the formula for that calculation? Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks.

//Smashgorand
Smashgorand is offline                         Send a private message to Smashgorand