Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #191
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofTheseNotWorking View Post
All I get is blank black screen using DosBox...
Let's see...

Downloaded the game from Abandonia, extracted the archive in my DOSBox C-drive, ran sound setup, started the game and

everything worked fine. Must be just you...
Old 10-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #192
gumball1979

I'm new to DOSBox so please excuse my ignorance. I'm trying to run Panzer General and can't get it to work. I've mounted the drive (C Drive/oldgames) and changed the directory to the game's folder (PG). And now I don't know what to do next. I don't know the command to get the game running. I tried exe, PG, install. Kind of lost because I'm new to DOSbox, though I'm not new to DOS, I played Panzer General when it first came out. Yeah, I'm that old.

My systems specs are as follows:
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel Core i5-4200U 1.60 ghz, 8MB RAM

Running DosBox .74

I also have a Windows 7 64 bit desktop if WIndows 8.1 is a problem.
gumball1979 is offline                         Send a private message to gumball1979
Old 10-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #193
Japo
Autonomous human

Enter these commands to show what executable files are in there:
Code:
dir *.bat
dir *.exe
dir *.com
Old 11-06-2014, 12:39 AM   #194
gumball1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Enter these commands to show what executable files are in there:
Code:
dir *.bat
dir *.exe
dir *.com

Got it to work! Now I just need to figure out why the sound isn't working.
gumball1979 is offline                         Send a private message to gumball1979
Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #195
Japo
Autonomous human

Try running another executable called setup, install, setsound, or something like that. Set to Sound Blaster 16 (or earlier), IRQ 7 DMA 1

Quote:
If a game's lacking sound, chances are that it's not DOSBox's fault, but because we need to configure the game itself. Hardware interfacing was a pain in DOS compared to Windows, and every single game must be informed on where to find our sound board (not our computer's real one, but the DOS-compatible "virtual" one that DOSBox "emulates"). Some very old games ask it every time they're started, whereas most not-so-old DOS games include a separate configuration program that allows us to save the information so we don't have to enter it more than once. This program is usually called SETUP, INSTALL, SETSOUND or something like that.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #196
gumball1979

Quote:
Try running another executable called setup, install, setsound, or something like that. Set to Sound Blaster 16 (or earlier), IRQ 7 DMA 1
That worked. You guys are a great help. One last question for now. The game only opens in a windowed mode. Any way to get it full screen?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #197
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumball1979 View Post
That worked. You guys are a great help. One last question for now. The game only opens in a windowed mode. Any way to get it full screen?
Alt-Enter toggles full screen on/off. Alternatively, open the config file and edit the full screen line to change the default.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #198
gumball1979

Does anyone know where the Abandonia version of PG came from? I ask because the campaign tree for the version I downloaded from here is different from the official campaign tree listed in the Prima strategy guide and all other online guides.

I just did the Sevastopol scenario and instead of going to Stalingrad following a major or minor victory, I was sent to the Caucasus scenario. The Caucasus scenario follows the Middle East scenario, not Sevastopol. What the hell is going on here?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #199
gumball1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumball1979 View Post
Does anyone know where the Abandonia version of PG came from? I ask because the campaign tree for the version I downloaded from here is different from the official campaign tree listed in the Prima strategy guide and all other online guides.

I just did the Sevastopol scenario and instead of going to Stalingrad following a major or minor victory, I was sent to the Caucasus scenario. The Caucasus scenario follows the Middle East scenario, not Sevastopol. What the hell is going on here?
Ignore my previous post, I didn't realize that the Caucasus and Stalingrad are the same scenario they just occur five days apart.
Old 23-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #200
agenthunk
Forum hobbit

Red face panzer general dosbox 0.74

hi im new here.I wanted to say im looking for help with getting the recording to not slow down game when i play.I have 0.74 version it runs great when it doesnt record.I have a hp laptop E1-2100 apu 1.00 ghz ,4.00gb ram,windows 8.1 64bit procesor.

now it is not a question of it not running on my pc due to specs being to low.it has to do with the options.bat file and how to get it to run smooth and at good speed without slowdowns during gameplay recordings.I have seen it speed up after i stop record and go fast.now I think it has to do with my zmbv codec,i read on many forums you go to start and file then update to dosbox file folder.I have a different setup and would like to find out if i need to get that codec or change the options.bat file settings.or both.

I described what the issue is and hope you could kinda know what might be amiss.I could post the options.bat file here for you to see and you can tell me what to adjust.

also,I saw the old system requirements for pc version of pg and my oc should run it great and dosbox works well.the poland campaign through north africa i used frameskipping at 1-2 or 5 or 10 at times to record my gameplay.sometimes the file will comeout as 2.00gb and no bitrate info listed in avi file properties.sometimes it will record correctly.sometimes not.

I use media player,vlc media player and movie maker and it wont read the file.I have the windows media player classic and the file i mentioned above will play on it,but the last 30 or so minutes of game plays first the it cuts,and shows the beginning breifing then it plays till it cutsoff where the ending should be!

maybe you guys might know what is wrong here.please tell me how to adjust this.
and one more thing.For the option of going to start menu and zmbv codec update on older os,how and the hell do you do it with windows 8.1?
I got my pg dos version game from a website that had pg version variants for different platforms and selected dos.this is the link-http://www.panzergeneraldownload.com/

I think I did everything right with dosbox and the game,I had decent gameplay early on at 1939 start date till low countries then had recording issues with what i mentioned above.this is all the info I witnessed and experienced,so i hope some of you more educated tech wiz would know what needs to be fixed.I'll wait for a reply.thanks

ps: I have 7 videos I recorded with success on my youtube channel to prove it works on my pc.
here is my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqB...y6c6jZKTlo3SlQ

here is the options.bat file.

options.bat file

Last edited by agenthunk; 23-09-2014 at 02:38 PM.
agenthunk is offline                         Send a private message to agenthunk