Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-08-2004, 07:18 PM   #11
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

It's funny when you wipe a country out once, then they come back and demand that you pay them loads of money so you just kill them all again :twisted: .
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 13-08-2004, 08:39 PM   #12
rallier
Abandonia nerd

This game is DIFFICULT and i mean it, even at the easiest level it's extremely difficult to survive if u don't cheat, ah and those spanish forces looks like the whole galactic empire striking on you, the other powers look like kittens in front of the ferocious spanish army.
But it's a very addictive game and you have to select very your production and trade routes..... oh and something more be careful about the food supplies, do not overcrowd ur cities other wise you will need to use all the space for food production thus producing nothing!!!
my strategie was to use the capital as an overcrowded evolved city and get all the supplies from other cities and the capital as the factory and the final destination before going to europe, also try to create an army around your cities so enemy forces cannot hold back ur production (they fortify around ur cities and wait until u really starve and no production can take place before attacking you....it's like a boycott :P
Also it's a good idea to try and control the seas and hold back the trade of others......however it's very costly :?
Early in the game i like to get mounted scouts to find treasures and stuff.....it could really help you get an economical edge and develop more fast. Also push the other forces into the corner from the beginning....otherwise u will be the one in the corner and defending is hard
I rate this game with a 5!!!!! (but i hate loosing a frigate against a loaded galleon or merchant......how is this possible a transport-trade ship sinking a state of the art war ship???)
rallier is offline                         Send a private message to rallier
Old 25-08-2004, 02:28 PM   #13
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

The game I played was a bit excessive, I found three fountains af youth and 2 lost cities worth (10,000 gold). It got to the stage where I could not see what people's professions were on the city screen because there were too many people standing outside the city.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 13-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #14
Eagle of Fire

This game is actually the first ever game I ever bought. I love it.

The independance thing, where you get independance without fighting the King... Did someone actually tryied playing the game even after the time limit? I think you are prompted with two choices at the end (End or Continue playing for fun). Perhaps if you did not manage to win the revolution and played until the game end (I know there is a time limit even if you continue playing), you will get your independance that way?

It would sure be too boring for me to even consider trying tough...

Old 23-09-2004, 01:48 PM   #15
nawade

i was wondering if when this game first came out, did it not do so well or something... Civilization created 2 sequels plus the call to power and i guess alpha centauri and all... why didn't colonization get a sequel? In my opinion, someone could make some money simply by updating the game, improving the AI and add a few features (I'm sure its not that simple, but the idea is). I'm just wondering... what sparked civilization to so many sequels and colonization nothing...
nawade is offline                         Send a private message to nawade
Old 23-09-2004, 03:29 PM   #16
FreeFreddy

Partially good question. I tried the game myself out some time ago, but actually didn't like it like Civilization. I think Civilization just has more charme about it, but probably that was rather some financial or similar reason for no sequels.

Old 23-09-2004, 05:33 PM   #17
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Colonization is in fact a sequel to Civilization. It's also similar to Imperialism in a way, so I doubt creating a new Colonization would be as popular than you suggest...
Old 23-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #18
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Sep 23 2004, 06:33 PM
Colonization is in fact a sequel to Civilization.
Well, thinking it that way, Master of Magic was also a sequel to Civilization. It's available on this site too. Although Master of Magic is rather a fantasy game which just uses many functions of Civilization in economics and the town screen.

Old 19-10-2004, 02:00 AM   #19
the aloha

i was reading that sid meier is working on a pirates! II (pirates! gold is like heroin), so colonization is the last classic sid game without a sequel. i would hope it is made, because colonization is super fun.
as far as winning without indipendence, i have never heard of anyone winning any other way. i would wonder what other option there would be because that is what everything in the game is setting you up to do. that is why i like civ a little bit better then col, civ always had at least 2 options, and 3 has a multitude.
furthermore, the dos version of col is better then the windows verison, imho.
the aloha is offline                         Send a private message to the aloha
Old 21-11-2004, 11:13 PM   #20
Sheek

Hi, I don't know if this has been covered in this thread already but if you want to make the game more interesting I found a few ways to do that. The game is actually endlessly customizable. Just go to the different .txt files and edit them and you can change pretty much whatever you want, from the cost of building something, the prices of goods, combat values, movement, create new units, the player races, how the prices change - whatever. The main file you're going to need to use is name.txt. Even if you're not using it to cheat you can basically make an entirely different game out of it. You might even be able to create new icons... never tried that.

I basically used it to increase movement for all the units because I thought it took forever to get across the screen and it allowed more tactical choices.

Just remember to make back-ups of your main files.