Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-01-2005, 07:14 AM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

So, around May I'll have final exams for my school... trobule is, I declared Computers as one of the subjects I want to have at the exams, and I'll need to learn programming in Turbo Pascal 7 at a moderate-to-good level until that time.

So far, I've been trying my programming skills a while back in a pascal-like programming course/game, with good effect, and written program scripts for a Pascal-based file editor program, also with some success.

My first and primary question is: what should I start with? Ie what types of commands/parameters/whatever should I learn first, and what should be next?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

The basics first. Get a hang of the syntax and some of the most common commands. Build up from there. Most of the time, it's just following the tutorial, and in the thread Tutorials, there're a couple on Pascal G'luck with it, as that one's really worth learning for those that want to step into C/C++ with ease k:
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 23-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
NeKromancer

Send a message via MSN to NeKromancer

Hi there,

I did pascal programming in high school as well. I'd say first start off with learning how to just output stuff to the screen. Then go on to IF statements, Loops such as WHILE, FOR, REPEAT. Then give your self a push to checking out the CASE statements. By then you can try some I/O, reading from the DOS window and outputting it, then file i/o, such as reading/writing stuff to disk.

If you need examples of such, tell me. I can post them here.

Good luck.
Old 23-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Well, I understand some basics of script control, loops etc, but if you could give me a few examples it would definitely help me a lot.

I find it easier to understand a sample of program code then a lengthy essay on what does command A do, why is the parameter B used etc...

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
NeKromancer

what kind of examples do you need ?
Old 23-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Samples of actual program code would be good. It's easier for me to reverse-engineer what each part means then learn the language from the beginning. Just got to always do it the hard way.

-- Reed Richards
Old 23-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
NeKromancer

I have ziped 2 pascal programs. They're small and probably quite lame.
I wrote these when I was figuring pascal out for school.

I have a really better one, pretty big where I read/write/edit files use records and whole bunch of handy stuff. But I have it printed out on paper and can't find the actual digital source code ! LOL. It must be somewhere on one of my old computers.

when I find it, i'll post it.

For now these will do. I think I used them on turbo pascal and codewarrior. Well test them see if they compile in turbo pascal.
Old 24-02-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Thank you. :bye:

-- Reed Richards
Old 28-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #9
NeKromancer

ah finally found my other pascal program.
This one is bigger.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #10
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Jan 31 2005, 09:14 AM
So, around May I'll have final exams for my school... trobule is, I declared Computers as one of the subjects I want to have at the exams, and I'll need to learn programming in Turbo Pascal 7 at a moderate-to-good level until that time.

So far, I've been trying my programming skills a while back in a pascal-like programming course/game, with good effect, and written program scripts for a Pascal-based file editor program, also with some success.

My first and primary question is: what should I start with? Ie what types of commands/parameters/whatever should I learn first, and what should be next?
Take a look at my thread, there you will find some very easy programs in Pascal.

@NeKromancer

You call that easy programs?????
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero