Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #11
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by TheVoid@Apr 27 2006, 10:05 PM
I found a sort of manual/FAQ in www.gamesover.com, I hope it's ok to post the link:
Thanks Void... But I hadn't noticed that the .ZIP included the original manual in .PDF format... Since a game's manual's usually a separate download... Anyway thanks everybody.
Old 27-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
bractulunatis

it doesn't work even with the dosbox tweaks...

Old 27-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #13
Japo
Autonomous human

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
The game doesn't start with DOSbox 0.65 and DOSShell!!
Any suggestion?
Maybe it's because of the DOSBox version... Under which version did Guesst manage to run the game (with all those tweaks)?
Old 27-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #14
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This was one of the very needed (and unknown titled) game I ever wanted. Tanx a lot!
In the and I understanded the laws, and even beated the most feared phoenix and the pope himself! That's cool (trolls are the best against him, as they regenerate everywhere).
I think the most useless figure is the shapeshifter, and the most valuable is the basilisks as it has 2 strong missle attack (as the valkyre, but with more crative design). And even the goblins can beat things with their fastness.
The banshee is what? Sometimes the skulls damages just very little, and some point the enemy just die. But the phoenix and the genie seems immun to this ability...
Old 28-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #15
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Well, since I wrote the review maybe I should answer the questions so far:

@MasterGrazzt - Well, I did say in the review
Quote:
...fans of the original game will still claim that Archon Ultra is inferior to its predecessor.
Glad you're here to validate that statement.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
The game doesn't start with DOSbox 0.65 and DOSShell!!
Any suggestion?
Maybe it's because of the DOSBox version... Under which version did Guesst manage to run the game (with all those tweaks)?
I swear I'm using .65, the latest version like I said. I had alot of trouble finding these setting. ALL of them must be done.
o Cycles under CPU = 8000
o rate under mixer = 44100
o EMS = false
o run archon1.exe (not just plain archon.exe)
You may also try setting all the rates and oplrate to 44100 in dosbox.conf

I tested these setting extensively, making a fresh dosbox.cfg and only changing these things and changing them in dfend as well. Maybe there's something I missed. Go to dosbox.sourceforge.net and check under the games section. There are tips there, but I'm not sure which ones are unnecessary.

If it's not running, please be more specific on what's wrong. Black screen? Halfway through intro then freezes? Which dosbos version are you using?

And if all this doesn't work, I'll bet rebooting in pure dos mode will have an effect...
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 28-04-2006, 03:30 AM   #16
Nick Archer

WOW! good to see Archon again, used to play it 20 years ago on the Amiga! Doesnt look as good as the original. Those with Amiga Emulators on their PC can still play the original, but you need to find Kickstart V.1.0, also its available for the C=64 if you have an emulator. Archon II wasn't bad either. I will play this sometime!

Old 28-04-2006, 03:45 AM   #17
Drake3

I am having problems with it as well, I have followed the instructions and have had no luck. I even tried some of my own ideas since I am pretty good at getting these things to work.

When I run it, I just get a black screen. My computer seems to be loading periodically, but nothing actually happens onscreen. No sound either, just black.

I am using the latest dosbox version, 0.65. I did try setting all the rates to 44100. I have not gone to dosbox.sourceforge.net, but I will probably check there soon.

Also, I cannot restart in pure dos mode without difficulty since I am using XP.

Thank you for your help with all this.

Old 28-04-2006, 04:41 AM   #18
guesst
Abandonia Homie

i don't know what to say. I took a fresh computer (my in-laws) downloaded DosBox, installed it, downloaded archon ultra, unzipped it, changed the settings exactly as described, and ran the game.

It worked perfectly.

If anyone else has managed to get this game running, please let me know. All these failure stories are getting me down.

My suggestion would be that you may need a fresh dosbos.conf file. Archon Ultra is very picky. Change one too many things and kaput. To make a fresh dosbox conf file delete or rename your old one, run dosbox and type:
Code:
config -writeconf "/path/to/dosbox.conf"
(from dosbox.sourceforge.net)
then make the prescribed edits from there.

Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling DosBox will do the trick too, but that seems a bit much to ask for one game.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 28-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #19
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Yesterday I got it to work using D-Fend (front-end to Dosbox) and Dosbox 0.63
Didn't try to make the sound work though...

I kept D-Fend's default sound settings, but as suggested in the review, disabled EMS (as well as XMS).
At 8000 cycles it was a bit slow; at 10000 it ran smoothly. However gameplay was much too fast then, so probably 8000 is better even if it requires some waiting at the start of the game.
Old 28-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #20
bractulunatis

It does indeed work with Dfend

and the sound is ok if not sometimes sounds abit jittery but more ok than not

but about 4 out of 10 times when u try it

u get a black screen or it hangs at the SSI intro screen