Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-01-2005, 02:19 AM   #21
Guildrum

Loved Syndicate, but never got around to playing Syndicate Wars. I was looking forward to it, but unfortunnately I can't get it to run. I'm running Win XP, and I get some kind of virtual runtime error, but the DOS window goes full-screen before I can make out what it is, and then my system locks.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:25 PM   #22
Viking

Viking did not like playstation version. But Viking download this one anyway, and afterawhile, Viking began to enjoy this game. Viking however, cannot get sound to work. This makes Viking very sad. It says XMIDI sound hardware not found. Very strange. If you have ideas, tell the Viking and he will be pleased! Viking enjoy blowing stuff up. Game would be better with axes though. :Titan:
Viking is offline                         Send a private message to Viking
Old 07-01-2005, 05:54 PM   #23
soul of lazar

How do you get it to work on XP HELP ME
Syndicate is a cool game k:
soul of lazar is offline                         Send a private message to soul of lazar
Old 18-02-2005, 07:01 PM   #24
athcnv
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to athcnv Send a message via MSN to athcnv

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Dec 27 2004, 08:58 AM
Yeah, 3 seems about right. Maybe 2 and a half. Another thing that irritated me about this game was how dark it was and how large the buildings were.

If I can't see my own troops in the dark without rotating, then how the hell am I supposed to discern friend from foe?
I actually own this game - the manual was a bit weird and contained a lot of errors and omitted a lot of information!

Actually, somewhere in the options, an option called "deep radar" can be activated, whereupon buildings in the way become opaque, see through blocks.

Yup, the game is incredibly hard.
Old 22-02-2005, 06:41 AM   #25
Egg

This game was pretty cool for it's time but I don't think it quite got to what the producers were aiming for, and didn't meet my expectations on a few counts.

I guess I had trouble without a manual as well, but the interface was a bit iffy(hard to switch/drop weapons, coordinate the team when separated, etc). Some of the sounds were also a bit weird - esp the minigun sound effect, which sounded like a sort of dull hum (compare to the mechanical roar of Syndicate miniguns).

I also found that the last 3 missions were obscenely difficult ("Let's hijack the space elevator and pinch the space station shuttle - it'll be easy!" - yeah, right), and a lot of the really interseting tech wasn't available til really late, when you're more interested in packing a plasma lance than defying the space time continuum with the disguising credit card, the displacertron, or stasis field generator.

On the plus side, there are some really nice touches (voice ads for holidays on other planets, animated hologram billboards, giant robotic spiders with beam weaponry, flying vehicles etc), and rotating camera views were revolutionary at the time. For maximum carnage, get your hands on the aforementioned satellite rain, nuclear grenade ("cataclysm!"), or the graviton gun - you can kill everyone in a city with this baby with about 5 shots. Blowing down builds is also lots of fun - whether you need to or not. The animation going up the space elevator is worth a look too (but it's short).

Someone earlier said that this was a foray into the action genre - I heard a rumour that the original design spec was to allow for a FPS interface as well. Obviously that feature never made it to the final cut.

All said and done, the original was a better game - I wish someone would remake S Wars with current technology and useability in mind - there are still some good ideas in there.

Old 24-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #26
Vlokkuh

This game.... was so FAT back then..... legendary.

Old 24-02-2005, 09:11 PM   #27
Roggah

Hey guys dont be so sad here comes the rescue... I have the solution for your problems ... But I still got 1 problem I cant zoom in or zoom out and the key configurations tells me that Zoom in is the home button and zoom out is the End button but nothing happends I have even tryed to change the keys to Z and X but nothing happends .. Here comes the solution to start Syndicate Wars...

You need VDMSound program, just install it and a patch for syndicate Wars called SNDFIX.EXE (try google and get it somewhere)

when you installed that launchpad you must rightclick the PLAY.BAT and select Run with VDMS (music symbol). youll get a wizard where you must choose between a default or custom one. choose custom -> new configuration from scratch -> advanced and on the program tab (where you start) click the "close dos window on exit" box.

In the compatibility tab: click the video box "enable VESA support" and "enable low-level network support" in MIDI tab DISABLE MIDI box. so NO midi. Also disable Adlib in Adlib tab. Oh yes No joystick either.(dunno why I also read it from somewhere)

In Sound blaster tab enable soundblaster of course and make sure IRQ number is 7, Baseport is 0x220, 8-bit DMA:1, 16-bit DMA:5, DSP ver = 4.05 (soundblaster 16). but I think these are defaults but just make sure. then you are done. Whew

there was a forum with a thread where they explained how to do this I cant find it anymore it did work... looked for hours to find that page again. Else I would paste a link here

Anyway you need to install that SNDFix.EXE in your SYNDICATE WARS folder of course. change PLAY.BAT to .doc and make sure it reads only these lines:

@echo off
dosdrv
setsound
@main /w /g

save it and make it .BAT again. this will make sure you will get through the set sound menu make sure you have NO midi sound on and you have Sound Blaster Pro (EVERYTIME you start up the game you MUST do the Sound check with Sound Blaster Pro or else it wont work.)

Happy killing
Roggah is offline                         Send a private message to Roggah
Old 13-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #28
JustSomeGuy

I can't get the game working using DosBox it just goes black and crashes help?

Old 13-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #29
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by JustSomeGuy@Mar 13 2005, 01:20 AM
I can't get the game working using DosBox it just goes black and crashes help?
Maybe following the solution in the post just above yours?
After all, VDMS doesn't take up a lot of hard drive space, so that wouldn't be a reason not to try it.
Old 13-03-2005, 08:46 AM   #30
goblins
Game Wizzard

Sydnicate 3 sounds interesting - im sure an open source clone exists somewhere
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins