Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
verek_22
Licenced misery wizard

Default Ultima Forever

"The first great Western RPG has been lovingly restored in Ultima Forever - return to the Ultima series in BioWare's new cross-platform action RPG. Accept the challenge from Lady British and save the land of Britannia. Play as the Fighter or the Mage and travel alone or with friends, restore virtue and become the Avatar!"

So, EA and Bioware are making some sort of free-to-play action RPG based on the Ultima series, which is supposed to be getting both a PC and iPad release. Details on exactly what kind of game it is are rather scarce at the moment, but the website says you will be given the option of two character classes, a fighter or a mage. Judging from the "travel alone or with friends" bit, it will probably also feature some form of multiplayer mode.

I've been hoping for a new Ultima game for years. But not like this. Please, not like this.

Here is the website, if you want to look for yourself. Beta signups are now open as well.
verek_22 is offline                         Send a private message to verek_22
Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I've prepared a box of kleenex for all you butt-hurts out there.

Even as a fan, I cant see why get mad of this, especially when, as you've said yourself, we know pretty much nothing at all about it so far. This knee-jerk reaction is awful, but then again, its EA so its easy to jump the bandwagon.

And its free to play, so what? First, you're not gonna lose anything to at least give it a try. Second, you probably wouldn't give it a try if it were monthly subscription based. Third, there already is a Ultima MMO that is subscription based (and still played by plenty of people, surprisingly) so making another one is bit redundant and fourth, when Bioware last time did MMO, the Old Republic, people complained that it should have been F2P.

I've been wondering about the "Lady British" though. Cant they actually use Lord British? Is it trademarked by Garriott?
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
verek_22
Licenced misery wizard

Okay, my fanboy rage has cooled down a bit now.

You're right, Chosen, I'm sorry. I shouldn't judge the game before I've even seen it. I just got a bit over-defensive when the few details I could see didn't look much like Ultima at all.

I am a bit concerned about the free-to-play model, but only in case EA exploits it. But my main concern is with it being an action-RPG with two fixed classes.

But I'll try and stay optimistic. Who knows, it might be good. And if it isn't, I'll have lost nothing because it's free, like you said.
verek_22 is offline                         Send a private message to verek_22
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Naw, thats okay. Its always better to comment on things after giving it a little though. I've signed up for beta and If I can run it, I'll definitely give it a fair change. Looks like I'll have to add that as a part of the Ultima playthrough.

Admittedly, last time EA made Ultima game it was Lords of Ultima, which was pretty much influenced by Travian and its hundreds of clones and Theme Parks nickle-and-dime free-to-play system got really out of hand on the iOS, but then again lot of iOS F2P games are like that.

However, last time Bioware did a free-to-play browser game out of a RPG series, it was Dragon Age Legend and that was surprisingly decent and had lot of content for a Facebook game.

And since its a online game, I'll bet they add new classes in future updates. Hopefully you dont have to pay to use them.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 13-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I don't mind F2P, but at the same time hate it. When it is PvE there is no problem you have to grind a bit harder or team up since you aren't paying to win...but in PvP, well that is a total different kettle of fish.

I wouldn't get my hopes too high on this, in fact I wouldn't get them above it is going to blow levels. Nothing about this screams good game, or even game. I am getting a mega flash game vibe coming off it, something you could play for free on a website. But I have been wrong before and will be again so maybe they will put the time, effort and heart into making this a decent fun game.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 13-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07...is-not-an-mmo/

Ok, I am a bit interested.
Old 13-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I think they are really only saying that so people don't think it is a big huge game like WoW. Seem like a smaller world or lower population level on the servers is intended. Still to early for me to really have a true opinion on this but I am still getting huge flash game vibes..but I think that is coming from the iOS part of it.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 13-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
I think they are really only saying that so people don't think it is a big huge game like WoW. Seem like a smaller world or lower population level on the servers is intended. Still to early for me to really have a true opinion on this but I am still getting huge flash game vibes..but I think that is coming from the iOS part of it.
I had the impression they are taking the Diablo III route, except this game is free.
Old 13-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
I had the impression they are taking the Diablo III route, except this game is free.
Diablo III just has people dropping into your world, I think this is more a static world that has a lower population then the larger MMOs. Stuff like "tribal" and the like hint at that I think. Still kinda too early to tell, let us see.
Old 13-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

They always say things like working together with hardcore fans, so I just dismiss that part. Otherwise, it sounds like it'll be like this, just as I thought it would be: http://www.drakensang.com/

I may have overreacted yesterday, but I still reserve the right to be skeptical. Bioware hasn't done a good RPG since Dragon Age (and no, DA2 is not one).

And the F2P still concerns me, because it can become P2W too fast.

Edit: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/...t_again/post19

Last edited by hunvagy; 13-07-2012 at 01:49 PM.
hunvagy is offline                         Send a private message to hunvagy