Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Is Diablo a role-playing game or not?
Yes, it is. 20 55.56%
No, it's not. 16 44.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #41
Wicky
the little viking

For me, a roleplaying game must have certain stats which don't change, give your hero a shape. A RPG warrior can be very strong, or especially agile, or have good charisma etc. which defines his characteristic.

So Diablo is not an RPG, you can increase your stats every level and guess what, all sorcerors for example end up looking like each other with 255 in magic. That means, they aren't anything special anymore.
Baldur's Gate for example is an RPG, because you will remember that thief, who was especially strong but dumb even after finishing the game, because he was unique. And that's what defines an RPG.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 27-04-2009, 02:51 AM   #42
Pex
Game Wizzard

I would never dare compare Diablo to Baldur's Gate series

What you (correctly) pointed out is that diablo characters lack personallity. There are many other games for which most of us would agree are true RPGs that suffer the same problem. But that doesn't mean that other RPG elements don't exist in Diablo. Not that many to call it a classic RPG, but definitely enough to call it an Action RPG.
Old 28-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #43
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

It isn't an RPG. It's a dungeon hack with some numbers.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 28-04-2009, 03:13 AM   #44
Ironlion
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoneer View Post
Not that I'm a Diablo fan (haven't played much of it), but I want something similair to play. An RPG with loads of action.... Preferably something that's available on this site.
Is there anything similair at all?
Rogue, and anything in those veins.

Also, the oft-forgotten sister site to Abandonia, Abandonia Reloaded has Nethack, and also Lost Labyrinth, Doom the Roguelike, any one of these might be up your alley.

As far as the Diablo-style gameplay goes, well, Diablo was inspired by the Rogue, and the old games aficionados consider it to be a Rogue-like in spirit.

As to anything newer or on a technological par with Diablo, I don't think so.. Then you're moving into the territory of the proper RPG.

And no, I don't consider it to be an RPG...Diablo. and its computer game predecessors like Nethack and Rogue, are adventure games. They are adventure games with RPG style elements, in that your character can improve and get stronger as the game goes on, as well as collect new goodies and loot. But it is an adventure game.

In turn, the games like nethack and rogue are written in the spirit of Old Dungeons&Dragons. We're talking the early editions that came in boxes and let you play as an battling adventurer in a fantasy setting, which was in turn inspired by Tolkein and the folklore that inspired him, etc. Interestingly, the DND developers started out as war gamers. You might be familiar with Battletech, or at least know what it is; it is one of those myriad war games which emerged from war games designed in the 18th century to help officers in training to learn about strategy and tactics. So in a way, RPGs developed from wargames.

D&D and similar games were not role-playing games, in the beginning. That happened because players added role-playing to the game on their own because it enriched the experience and added to the fun. Eventually, it became an integral part of the Pen & Paper RPG, to build a real essence to your character, to give it as much life as possible via the make-believe.

But the original game was about going into dungeons, fighting monsters, getting treasure, and saving the princess (and perhaps the world) from the evil wizard/demon/dragon/night/king/etc. It was about the adventure.

So no, these games are not RPGs, but rather represent a different evolutionary branch growing from the same tree trunk as RPGs.
Ironlion is offline                         Send a private message to Ironlion
Old 28-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #45
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Please add a third option for this poll.

"Do I care?"

My answer would be no, not at all. LOL

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 28-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #46
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
Please add a third option for this poll.

"Do I care?"

My answer would be no, not at all. LOL
+1

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 28-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #47
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

I just thought of something. Some people are saying the defining attribute of an RPG is to be able to take your own direction with your character and so...

Let me take Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars in for an example.

In this game, you can spend your time as a drug dealer, earning money and getting to the top through just doing that if you want to, hours upon hours - or you could do missions for someone. You can choose to betray your uncle by doing missions for other people that's against him. Hell, you can even choose to do firefighter missions to earn your cash to buy new things, or bust people as a police, or even help people as a medic, picking them up and driving them to the hospital.

Does that mean GTA: Chinatown Wars is more of an RPG than Diablo to you?

I will always consider building characters (through leveling, getting better equipment, etc.) the RPGs' defining attribute.

Last edited by Simoneer; 28-04-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Simoneer is offline                         Send a private message to Simoneer
Old 28-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #48
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Does that mean GTA: Chinatown Wars is more of an RPG than Diablo to you?
Yes.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #49
cjk1995
Forum hobbit

I think that Diablo is a RPG game. But it is not important. Just enjoy !!
cjk1995 is offline                         Send a private message to cjk1995
Old 28-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #50
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Yes.