Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #21
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
...though very little-demanding games like Corncob3D might have been a bit too fast on them.
Forget that 'might', as soon you enter the pentium hardware Corncob3D goes berserk. If I remember swell it even went bersek on a 486 DX4 ..... just to say. And slowdowners won't help there, as it needs full CPU capacity for the enemies AI and enemies actions, use slowdowners and your gaming experience goes completely down the drain.

BTW: the ideal dosgame machine almost exist: dosbox.
As simple as that.
You can run the oldest and latest dosgames on it.
Don't forget what some devs do in the CVS versions with dosbox......

It's extremely rare I fire up my P1 for dosgames, it's almost only in use as ftp server lately...... says enough.

[Edit]
Damnit, I really had sworn not to enter such topics anymore.
Djees man, I hate you all.
:mad:

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 29-07-2008 at 05:47 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 30-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

When dosraider was a kid, all they had was this:

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 30-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #23
dosraider
Dismembered.

Close Kuggy, but not close enough.
In fact I started on this:

Really, and it makes me feel real old.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 01-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #24
dipo

I remember now why I wasn't using MS-DOS 7.10.
EMM386 didn't start well because of "can't set page frame address". FreeDOS worked out of the box. This might have me believe that FreeDOS is currently the best less-then-ideal solution for after Windows 98 hardware.

Haven't remembered yet why I didn't continue to use 6.22 after I did choose this first. Maybe it was only because of no FAT32 support but maybe also because of similar issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
lol of course we are not going to convince you to buy slower cpu, it's your business and problems. we were giving advices based on our personal experiences with problems on faster cpus and older systems
Well, I see it as challenge to use the fastest hardware I currently have. :amused: It's just for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
But I'd bet I wouldn't get good results turning it into a DOS machine
Doubt that. Worth a test. At least DOS would start due to BIOS drivers (which MUST work because Windows and Linux still need it.)

Biggest issues for gaming seam CPU/RAM/EGA/VESA and SB16. Everything else is working out of the box, which is very little. :amused:

Quote:
even if I hacked off the cards without DOS support and installed old ones in slots that the computer doesn't have.
Addon cards are ignored by default. Just without PCI slot you have currently no way of getting SB16 in real DOS.

Quote:
Keep in mind that under DOS, programs have to address physical memory themselves.
The real mode ones, yes. Much others use EMS, XMS or DOS Extenders.

I've noticed that there are a lot of the 'better programmed games' such as prince of persia 1 and 2. Doesn't seam to matter how fast the CPU is or how many RAM to much. The game runs at normal speed and with perfect sound.

Well and I remembered my original impulsion to force my current computer to play classic dos games in real dos. I was using DOSBox, not that many games didn't run... But often I was told to tweak some settings, like setting down cycles. While playing I was unsure if the game runs now at optimal speed. Well optimal.... Like I was remembering/feeling from past, maybe like the game producers originally indented to.

On real hardware it's obvious. Either it's much to fast/messed up or it's running perfectly.

Btw the keyboard bug was because of keybord + mouse USB support in BIOS. Because I am using PS/2 converter I needed to disable this.
dipo is offline                         Send a private message to dipo
Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #25
karooble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
In fact I started on this: (image)
Really, and it makes me feel real old.
What is that, a blackboard?
karooble is offline                         Send a private message to karooble
Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #26
dosraider
Dismembered.

Lei en griffel in Dutch, in French: ardoise.
Don't know the English name, maybe 'slate' ?

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
Old 02-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #27
Sal
Game Wizzard

:laugh: Yes Dos Raider it is called a "Slate" in english because the original ones were like a slate tile in a wooden frame..I used one too at my first school class when I was 5 years old. We used white chalk sticks to write the Alphabet....Sal

BTW Kuger..the abacus in the hands of an expert will beat the socks off an electronic calculator.

Last edited by Sal; 02-08-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Sal is offline                         Send a private message to Sal
Old 22-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #28
tommyLee
[BANNED]

Just an update on this topic. I spent a few months testing old games in pure dos mode with Dos6.22, Dos7.1 and FreeDos.
I have a core2duo, 4GB RAM and gf9600. I booted the computer into realmode dos with a bootcd filled with around 150 games.
I was amazed and surprised, every single gamed worked perfectly. Dune 2, Alleycat, Return of the Jedi, Speedball 2, Star Trek a final unity, Weird Dreams, F1GP etc.
The oldest part of my machine was a SBLIVE! but the dos drivers worked in all games, even General midi worked and adlib for the older games.
I configured the system to have 624kb conventional memory (with mouse +cdrom +sbeinit).
In terms of compatability.
Dos7.1 all games worked + sound
Dos6.22 - same as above but no fat32 and only 64MB ram is visible to DOS.
FreeDos, - 10 games didn't work(Freedos has some time to go before it is 100% compatible with MS-DOS.

Dos7.1(taken from win98) is as compatible as 6.22. I have never come across a DOS game that has worked on 6.22 but not 7.1 on the same hardware.
From the boot cd I created a 2gb ramdrive and run games from that.
Dos6.22 only has fat16 and can only see 64MB ram. which is not large for ramdisks.
Dos 7.1 apart from fat32, it's himem.sys see's 4GB RAM which is good for hige ramdisks that you can use as a temporary hard drive to copy games from the CD to and run.
tommyLee is offline                         Send a private message to tommyLee
Old 27-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #29
DoomYoshi
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post

BTW Kuger..the abacus in the hands of an expert will beat the socks off an electronic calculator.
Perhaps you could elaborate on this point. Even an expert abacist would be hard pressed to match the 3d graphing and calculus capabilities of modern calculators. Even regular operations will be performed faster, with more efficiency and higher accuracy on a calculator. The only people who use abaci are those who are too poor to afford calculators or too nostalgic to.

This is like saying: An NES, with an expert programmer, could blow the socks off a Wii. Nostalgic suckers like us want to believe it but it is pure bollywogs.
Old 27-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #30
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Funny thing is, if they get the quantum computer operative, that will be something between an abacus and a modern computer, except they'll be spinning electrons or atoms instead of sliding them.