Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #11
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Sep 25 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]313187[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Why, did VPC perform bad for you? For me it performs like the real deal, well maybe the mouse lags at times just enough for me to notice, but it's definitely satisfactory. (I've got 2.8+0.8 GHz Core Duo Pentium D and 256 MB out of 1 GB RAM alocated for that virtual machine.) The biggest nuissance is waiting for lousy Win98 to boot, but I'd have the same problem in a real partition. Plus a virtual machine is very handy to backup and get it back to previous states, just copying a file instead of having to use hard disc imaging software.
[/b]
VPC doesn't run as fast as an actual PC, and you're stuck with the emulated graphics card.
Windows 98 SE on 1,75 gHz Sempron 2500+ with 1 GB RAM (and pagefile disabled) runs like a charm, even if setting it up takes a little more time.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-09-2007, 12:33 AM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

VPC runs Baldur's Gate as fast as a real PC over here, and the graphics card is certainly enough for BG1. I know it's like the real deal because I've played this game before on a real PC.

I began to experience somewhat choppy screen scroll some time after installation, but it went back to perfect shape once I fixed fragmentation. I guess that in a virtual machine if both the virtual HD and the file that stores it in the host machine are fragmented, the performance loss is more than double.

Right now I'm playing BG in VPC and it runs perfect.
Old 27-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
catchaserguns
Games Master

I've got BG and it runs fine for me on Xp. I have the original cds I got from ebay.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 27-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catchaserguns @ Sep 27 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]313430[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I've got BG and it runs fine for me on Xp. I have the original cds I got from ebay.[/b]
Thanks for your input. I'd ask you to post your DXdiag log but I'm too tired of trying. :P
Old 29-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #15
Jerry123

Same for me. Runs fine under XP. Even runs on Vista, by the way. Graphics errors on VMWare, however. Didnt try VirtualPC with it.
Jerry123 is offline                         Send a private message to Jerry123
Old 03-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
sfiebig

I had the same prob with Win XP. After searching for a while at the fan forums, I came to the conclusion that only the professional version of Win XP has got this problem (Can anybody confirm this?). In my case the game crashed (load screen stand) sometimes, when entering another sector.

I decided, too, to use Virtual PC with Win 98 and it worked like a charm. At the beginning I had probs to move screen with mouse but that was a minor issue :-)
sfiebig is offline                         Send a private message to sfiebig
Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
fettoswe
Forum hobbit

Baldurs gate runs perfect for me if I run it compatible mode. But it doesn't start if don't use compatible mode. It can be a little slow sometimes if many spells are used at the same time.
fettoswe is offline                         Send a private message to fettoswe