Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #41
Magmaros

any solution for the "this game is already installed" bug?
Magmaros is offline                         Send a private message to Magmaros
Old 24-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #42
Data
retired

read the posts above you ?
Old 24-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #43

i did, but most of them refer to dosbox, which im not using cause i'm currently on win98, can you please refer me to the specific posts?

Old 25-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #44
Rebecca

I liked Timelord's solution for installing -- seemed simple enough -- but I have very little to no experience with DOSbox and could use some *very* specific instructions.

I have everything set up they way he suggests, but typing in "install" to the command line doesn't do anything.

Can someone bear to tell me *exactly* what to do here, step by step?

Sorry to be this way. Email the solution to me if if feels like too much repetition on the forum (redhotkitchen at earthlink.net).

Rebecca
who needs some rye

Old 25-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #45
dOllee

I got the game installed alright, but I still have some sound issues. Apparently there's a patch here that should solve that problem. I downloaded it, ran it in the RTZ-CD folder and normally I would have gotten a message asking me to overwright some files. But I didn't, and the sound still isn't fixed... I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Can somebody help me with this?

Btw, be sure also to have a look at this site, it helped me install Zork. It's pretty much what you guys are saying, but a step-by-step walkthrough for us dummies.

Old 25-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #46
Rebecca

There are two patches for RTZ that site...not sure which one to grab.

Also, while the step-by-step install page looked more helpful, it was written for an actual, physical CD-rom install, which we're not going. So I still don't get it.

I loved this game, back in the day. But I don't remember any of the DOS commands and whys and where-fors. There are steps that these posts assume I know how to do that I just don't anymore.

It just sucks so much that I want to play this game, but can't remember any DOS 101 to make it work. So frustrating.

Rebecca

Old 25-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #47
dOllee

Quote:
There are two patches for RTZ that site...not sure which one to grab.
It's the one for the cd-version.

Quote:
Also, while the step-by-step install page looked more helpful, it was written for an actual, physical CD-rom install, which we're not going.* So I still don't get it.
I know, but after unzipping the Zork-files to the C-drive, everything else is the same. These files are actually the files you would normally find on the cd-rom. I now this has been said repeatedly, but make sure that you unzip them DIRECTLY under C, and NOT in a folder.
Also, using VDMS worked like a charm for me, and it's quite well explaned how to use it in that walkthrough. Give it a go!
dOllee is offline                         Send a private message to dOllee
Old 25-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #48
Tom

need help getting sound in XP

RealTek AC'97 Audio
I/O Range E400-E4FF
I/O Range EC00-EC7F
IRQ 18

what should i pick from the list and what options do i enter?

Thanks

Old 26-01-2005, 07:50 AM   #49
outspan

this is the most awesome thing i've ever found on the interweb. i can't believe i found this game again!

Old 26-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #50
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom@Jan 25 2005, 11:55 PM
need help getting sound in XP

RealTek AC'97 Audio
I/O Range E400-E4FF
I/O Range EC00-EC7F
IRQ 18

Isn't there an option for a sound blaster compatible card? For the I/O you could try 400 or 408 and if that doesn't work, try 220. That's a very universal one. For IRQ, try 18, then 7, or 5, or 3, or 1. You might have to go with an AdLib driver if SB compatability doesn't work. But I'm no expert here. Just try everything. It's worth the effort cos it's such a great game, and also once you've found a working combination you'll be right for all the other dos games you download from Abandonia.

EDIT: There's an option for a sound blaster clone, I've discovered. There's a good chance your card will work with this one. If you have to end up choosing the AdLib drivers, I think I read somewhere in the readme files that you won't hear any speech or digitized sound, only music.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree