Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #811
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

I've got MoM fired up on WinXP, with the latest official patch, followed by Insecticide's latest unofficial patch. I've seen no problems on the Dragonsword forum about game playing issues.

Still, I've got 'em. When I click on my the bent corner of my mage's magic book to turn it and check out spells on another page, it always freezes. It does this whether I run the game through DOSbox, or through WinXP after having changed the settings of the MAGIC.COM file.

I've tried different graphics settings, but I don't think that's the issue, since the problem doesn't exist anywhere else in the various menu screens: only inside the spell book. It's a game stopper, too, since I can't check any of my spells beyond those given at the start of the game. Any idea what's going on?

EDIT: Solution found. This problem occurs only on the first turn, when you don't have any active spells except arcane ones. On the second turn other pages in the spellbook are available.

Last edited by Borodin; 17-08-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 18-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #812
age like wine

This game is one of my favorite oldies.

The biggest drawback is the overpowering ehm.. power of Magic Immunity. If you have this ability on a unit, you'll beat everyone handily. Without it, you're fodder most of the time.

The game (at highest difficulty in any case) also sort of pushes you to go for the Magic Immunity card, due to the crushing nature of the spells other wizards like to cast, the chaos enchantments in particular (great wasting, armageddon lol). So there is little time to sit and try other tactics.

Old 19-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #813
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by age like wine View Post
This game is one of my favorite oldies.

The biggest drawback is the overpowering ehm.. power of Magic Immunity. If you have this ability on a unit, you'll beat everyone handily. Without it, you're fodder most of the time.
It only grants immunity to magic, not melee, though I agree: it is extremely overpowered. I hope the Catnip rebalancing mod removes it, or at least lowers the cost moderately and makes it a sort of better-resist magic spell.

Quote:
The game (at highest difficulty in any case) also sort of pushes you to go for the Magic Immunity card, due to the crushing nature of the spells other wizards like to cast, the chaos enchantments in particular (great wasting, armageddon lol). So there is little time to sit and try other tactics.
I just don't bother using anything that resembles cheese. Otherwise, the game's too easy.
Old 19-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #814
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Tip: In most Civ and Civ-derived titles, multiple road-building units (engineers, formers, etc) lower the build time. Not in MoM. Put two engineers on a road, and you're wasting one engineer. Set them to different tasks.
Old 20-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #815
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
Tip: In most Civ and Civ-derived titles, multiple road-building units (engineers, formers, etc) lower the build time. Not in MoM. Put two engineers on a road, and you're wasting one engineer. Set them to different tasks.
Are you sure about that one? Adding an engineer to a road already being built, doesn't make a difference but as far as I remember, ordering multiple engineers from the start to work on the same road made it go faster...
Old 20-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #816
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_guest View Post
Are you sure about that one? Adding an engineer to a road already being built, doesn't make a difference but as far as I remember, ordering multiple engineers from the start to work on the same road made it go faster...
I tried testing this. I put an engineer on a hill, and ordered him to build a road. 4 turns. Then I reloaded, and put two engineers on that same hill. Same order: 4 turns.
Old 20-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #817
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

More tips:

Adamantium. Never leave home without it, if your home is in the nice little suburb of Myrror. Your midgame, at the latest, should include several startup towns that take advantage of adamantium sites, always with a race that can make good use of it's +2 weaponry. In the past, I've used halflings, but that's overkill. Armies of elite, adamantine-wielding halflings will trump just about anything else in the game, given magic backup. In my current game, I'm using Draconians, and found plenty of Dwarven settlements to share the space with.

If you're on Myrror, make one of your priorities quickly developing enough magical power to cast Planar Seal. While this won't guarantee you all the time in the world, it will let you build your armies, conquer the nodes, gain heroes and create weaponry/troops sufficient to finally conquer the dreaded lettuce-like side of the dimensions.

Try to include a hero with Armsmaster and Legendary status in every important stack. It'll boost performance and experience gain among the troops. If you can't get both in one hero, include two that split these traits.

Draconians are a great starting race, because they can fly over any type of terrain, get two movement points, and have a wide area of view. You can use them to scout the dimension from the start without having to create a Magic Spirit who sees a lot less, and uses up a significant portion of your starting mana.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #818
momplayer

Hello there fellow MoM players. I'm wondering if anyone knows what's up with the dragonsword site. It has been down for days...

Old 01-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #819
Oskatat
Game freak

Quote:
I tried testing this. I put an engineer on a hill, and ordered him to build a road. 4 turns. Then I reloaded, and put two engineers on that same hill. Same order: 4 turns.

interesting, i did similar things and the time spend on building roads went down when the engineers were given the order as a group, instead of in succession. Just remember to have them all highlighted at the same time. engineers that have spent their movement dont help. road building is ALSO.... no, MAINLY based on movement points, an engineer with a movement boost builds faster, 2 engineers have 2x the movement points. dwarves build mainly faster cause they move around any terrain easier

also, main attraction of draconians is that, if you build a city wall, one unit can hold the city against any land only units
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #820
Prokonsul Piotrus

Quote:
I am pretty sure you are wrong; maybe there is a bug on the display? I played MoM recently and I recall two engineers working faster (forests). IIRC I was using dwarves, and I don't think I gave them (always) orders as a group.

Btw, here's an amusing strategy: drain life / ghouls on troll units; if you are lucky, you'll get a regenerating, no-upkeep undead unit. Mmmm.... uber zombies.
Prokonsul Piotrus is offline                         Send a private message to Prokonsul Piotrus