Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #21
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

I love our social networks for the very reasons lulu put out above. However, i don't want my public real life identity to associate with my private internet identity, simply because I can be myself on the internet. The consequences in this judgemental town of saying what I really think would probably be Shunning. Not that certain people don't shun me already, of course. But I just have to live with it.

The only thing that really worries me is a repeat of that scary-stalker event we had a year or so ago -- but now, with workplace, home and private contact details involved. That's my main (if somewhat paranoid) concern. I'm thinking of a second account to like abandonia from, with a cartoon avatar, for that very reason.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 23-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #22
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Your Facebook account is not linked to your Abandonia account, the only way someone could know it is you is by knowing your real name anyway. They could guess by using your location. If someone already knows your real name they can already find you on Facebook. Using the privacy settings on Facebook can block people from seeing your page.

If people are really worried about Facebook and their identity they can do this one easy simple thing...don't have a Facebook account.

Also the like app thing has been moved down and the quiz is back at the top of the page.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 23-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #23
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Darth hit the nail on the head there.

Just to conclude a little thing:

Get to know your FB privacy settings, check the page preview which other people will see. There is NO reason why anyone should see anything other than your name and profile image. Your contact details etc. should NOT be visible unless you have set them to be that way.
Old 23-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #24
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

EoF, please stop acting like your are the only one with a brain on earth, you are offending other people's intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
it's not a link on Abandonia that reveals your private details to the world.
This is the kind of innocent thoughts which lead you to wonder how those thieves got away with your credit card so easily.
It looks like you misinterpreted my message on purpose.
What I wanted to say is the same thing that the other repeated you, that it's not a link on AB that reveals your private details, it's all there already because you have entrusted them to Facebook, if you are so scared than you shouldn't have a FB account at all.
Old 24-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #25
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

That's exactly why I don't have a Facebook account at all? At least not with my real name and whatnot.

Why do you think we use alternate names in forums such as this one? Why don't you use your own very name if you feel so confident that it is not a problem?

Also, I didn't misinterpret your message. What you just said prove to me that I interpreted it perfectly. And also, I do sometimes feel like not many people have common sense in the world, which I think you would be better to refer to instead of insulting other people intelligence, which I have not done myself.
Old 24-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #26
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Can we stop before this escalates into a flamewar over an effectively pointless tangent?
Quote:
I really fail to see how that invalid what I just said. Unless people want to hide their head in the sand, as always.
The point is:
If you have problem with Facebook's privacy policies you have to take it up with them. Period.
If you have problem with Abandonia having a Facebook "Like!" block displayed, you have to take it up with Abovo. Period.
We have nothing to do with either.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #27
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

maybe we should close this silly, silly thread

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 24-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #28
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

My forum name is my facebook name. Who cares.

There are more lovely and important things in this world to bother about
Old 27-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

The discussion about Social Networks has been moved:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28036

You can continue the conversation there, thank you.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #30
BostonGeorge
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The reasoning behind these changes are clearly an attempt to push the social networks in order to increase the traffic esponentially. Looking at our previous statistics the addition of the Facebook panel brought us lot of visibility even if it was added 2 days ago.
Moreover, in this occasion, Abovo employees managed to repair broken parts of the layout, so it's not just a matter o publicity.

The layout is still under developement though, luckily we can do little but significant changes, in fact during these days I've spent several hours repairing placements that covered functional pages of the site and I tried to adapt Drupal blocks to their modifications.

I've learned how this site works and technically speaking I can say without a doubt that the layout works better now.
However, talking about graphics it's impossible that everyone will appreciate the final result. It's always pretty subjective. [...]
Hey Dave

I was busy with work the last months but now I'm back to AB. The only thing that really shocked me was not the facebook banner itself but its position, especially in the reviews. Even though I'm not into facebook any more, I do not have any problem with these kind of crosslinks to increase one sites traffic.

And (really) you ARE my hero if you've managed to understand the site mechanics =) and I've noticed the very good changes you made.

Speaking as a Designer I absolutely agree that graphic/layout changes are always seen in a subjective way. But the facebook banner HAS to be on another position. Really. Really. Really. Really. ..... Really!
As it is for now, it messes up the whole concept of the review pages. I mean, you open a review and you read the headline of the title and than the first screenshot you see on your right is not a screenshot but instead a facebook 'ad'. This is especially a problem for lower resolutions (1024 etc.) as for most laptops or portable devices.

So, if the layout in general will change - be free, go nuts but please, the facebook 'thing' has to change its position. Usually I try not to interfere with layout decisions (*) but I love AB to death and so here I have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The discussion about Social Networks has been moved:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28036

You can continue the conversation there, thank you.
I had to post it here because it's just related to the Banner-Position-Topic and not to social facebooks in general.