Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
enchantedmoons
Forum hobbit

Hi everyone. I downloaded World of Xeen and have tried running it in both DOSbox and VDM sound, but either way I get the same problem---the game freezes during the intro screen when the little lizard guy is crawling into what looks like a spaceship. I'm not sure if this is a sound problem or something else, so I thought I'd post and see if anyone else had the same thing happen to them and what you might have done to get it going.

Thanks for your help!

Tracy
enchantedmoons is offline                         Send a private message to enchantedmoons
Old 03-05-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Just wanted to add that i also got this error.While the intro crash thingy can be worked around(by pressing ESC), there are random movie flics in the game that cause the game to crash.Also there are some graphical glitches which i have noticed.For instance if i have a tree to my left, if i look towards my right, i see the same tree, if i look forward, i see the same tree.Curious is the fact that i can walk through most game objects, ie tables, chairs, trees, bushes, etc; but not walls, doors.Question is:
Is this normal? Is there some patch to correct these bugs(both graphical and the movie crash?)
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 03-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Data
retired

omuletzu did you use dosbox or plain dos ?

I wonder who is too blame.
the game or dosbox.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #4
Mad-E-Fact
Games Master

I had the same problem with the intros a while ago. When I run them now, however, they work fine. Could it be because of the sound settings you have set for the speech? Both intros use speech, and the one in Darkside starts excatly when the "lizard guy" is walking through his tower... I have set soundblaster for both, speech and music, and though the quality isn't the best, it works at least.
Mad-E-Fact is offline                         Send a private message to Mad-E-Fact
Old 05-05-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

I use pure dos data.Also check the game's discussion forum, as many guests complained there of the same problem...
Only the movie with the dragon skull crashes! The other one plays to the end(when some scroll appears, with a guy's head in the middle).As i said this wouldn't be such a problem if the game wouldn't crash on random in-game movies.Also what's up with the graphical problems? Are they normal? Since this game is so acclaimed i doubt it
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 10-05-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
Moi

I had the exact same problem. And it actually does screw up the Clouds of Xeen intro as well. When I ran it a guy would appear on a scroll, state his name, and then the scroll would be rolled up and the intro would end. It's actually supposed to continue from there a bit.

Anyway, the way I got around this bug was very simple. I ran install and selected sound blaster pro as opposed to plain old sound blaster. For whatever reason it worked for me. You might want to give that a shot.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:03 AM   #7
enchantedmoons
Forum hobbit

Hi everyone. I think you all might be right about the sound issue....I have been running it in VDM sound because I can't get it to run in DOS box, and there are probably settings I need to find and change.

I did finally get the game to run by pressing ESC during the first intro screen, so that was good. Unfortunately, my new problem is that the game freezes up when I try to sign in at the tavern. I'm wondering now after reading all of your posts if this might be a sound problem as well.

I guess I'll fiddle with the sound settings after I find them and see if that takes care of any freezing.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions, you guys. I appreciate it!

Tracy
enchantedmoons is offline                         Send a private message to enchantedmoons
Old 13-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #8
samtam90
Game Wizzard

I've found a solution. It's a simple sound problem, so open the install, change configuration (press n when it asks if you want to install with current configuration) and set sound blaster for both music and speech. Now save, exit and run WOX with Vdmsound. It'll work perfectly without locking up k:
samtam90 is offline                         Send a private message to samtam90
Old 13-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
enchantedmoons
Forum hobbit

Thanks Samtam, I'll give that a shot!

Tracy
Old 14-05-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
Lord_Scather
Forum hobbit

I have a different problem:

my Intro works just fine (always liked the bit when the dragon is about to fry the fly and then uses the chemical mace LOL)

But my game locks up when I try to sign in at the tavern (for Character generation)

clicking on the food, rumors,.....works fine, but when I want to leave or Sign up, the game hangs.

This happens under Dos as well as under DOSBox.

Doh.....always liked that game and I WANT TO PLAY IT AGAIN. So plz help!!!
:ranting:

(What we really need is a Calvin & Hobbes game)
Lord_Scather is offline                         Send a private message to Lord_Scather