Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-03-2017, 12:16 AM   #71
hoopsdowntown12
Lurker

Exclamation

Sys: RPi3 - RetroPie
Mem: 1 GB
Games: Civilization 2 (drive C or D), Storybook Weaver (drive C), but oddly not MSDogs (drive D)
Reproducibility of problem: Always with given applications.
DOSBox Version: DosBox 0.74
Solutions attempted: Attempted running 1MBFort.exe at launch with no success referenced here

When I boot up Windows 3.11 by calling windows.bat I can manually run Civ2.exe with no issues. When I attempt to run the command:

Code:
C:
cd windows
win c:\windows\runexit.exe c:\mps\Civ2\CIV2.EXE
exit
I get a memory issue "Insufficient memory to run this application. Quit one or more Windows applications and then try again," but only when attempting to run it with either win.com, winexit.exe, or runexit.exe, which is obviously preferable given I'm launching from EmulationStation.

I had 1MBFort running at launch to no avail, but I didn't change anything within 1MBFort.

Code:
win d:\DOGS.EXE
however will work

but,
Code:
win c:\windows\runexit d:\DOGS.EXE

gives me an error "Application Error Exception EGPFault in module SB16SND.drv at 0001:3193. General protection fault in module SB16SND.drv at 0001:3193." Do I have too many active drivers? Any way to check that out?

Not sure why everything works flawlessly with windows.bat opened with no launch commands but when I try to do it with runexit.exe it doesn't work. Thoughts? I'm stuck.

ETA: Calling a Civ2.BAT will work if I leave out the runexit part, but obviously doesn't close the program.

Code:
@c:\windows\smartdrv.exe
@SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS; 
@SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
@lh devlod C:\SB16\DRV\CSP.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220
@lh devlod C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
@SET SOUND=C:\SB16
@SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
@SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
@C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
@windows\win windows\runexit  d:\civ2\civ2.exe

Last edited by hoopsdowntown12; 06-03-2017 at 05:02 AM.
hoopsdowntown12 is offline                         Send a private message to hoopsdowntown12
Old 13-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #72
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You should have a shortcut to WinExit on your desktop - double-clicking that will exit Windows.

What is MSDogs? I'll look into testing the other programs you mentioned.

I see you were looking for assistance with this on VOGONS.
Most of the batch file relates to loading the sound drivers. It's been over five years since I did this, so I no longer remember the specifics of why I put certain things in there (smartdrv, for one) . Probably was related to some game or piece of software I was trying to run in it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #73
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Default It just occurred to me...

I remember a section in the DOSBox 0.74 conf file where you can increase your memory! Maybe that might help out? Not sure. Just a thought.
tienkhoanguyen is offline                         Send a private message to tienkhoanguyen
Old 27-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #74
Turbo Beholder

Most of things that work under Windows 3.x at all will work under Wine.

Then again, USB/HID support in Wine is still under construction, so if you want to play with joystick, that's a problem.
Old 31-12-2018, 01:01 AM   #75
succulent_club
Lurker

Hey y'all,

First off: thanks, The Fifth Horseman, for providing this copy of Windows 3.11, and Eagle of Fire, for providing some troubleshooting tips.

For anyone who's using this forum post as an installation guide, I wanted to clarify some of the troubleshooting information that Fifth Horseman and Eagle so kindly provided.

Quote:
Let's assume you have a c:\dosgames you are mounting as the C drive in DOSBox.
If you unpack the archive to c:\dosgames, mount that as the C drive in DOSBox and then enter windows, the package will start correctly.
When FH says “unpack the archive,” they mean “after unzipping the .rar file, open the unzipped folder called Windows 3 for DOSbox, and move the contents of the unzipped folder to the folder you use as your virtual c: drive in DOSbox.”

I initially interpreted “unpack the archive” as “unzip the .rar file,” which, once you do that, gives you a single Windows 3 for Dosbox folder, so I just moved that folder as a single unit to my root folder. But, like Eagle said, you cannot run Windows 3 from a subdirectory, which the unzipped folder becomes when you move it into the root folder.

It isn't intuitive to non-programmers that you can't just move the entire folder as a single unit to your root folder, especially considering that DOSbox is generally used to directly run .exe files of retro games, and those can be run from subdirectories just fine. I hope this clears things up!
succulent_club is offline                         Send a private message to succulent_club
Old 13-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #76
maiku
Lurker

Just signed up to say thanks for this! Having a blast installing old software and stuff!
maiku is offline                         Send a private message to maiku
Old 08-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #77
redwing634
Forum hobbit

Thanks for making this tool.. very cool. Do have one question..

When I launch a game in the Win3.1, the game launches in a small square with black all around. The game graphics only take up about 70% of the Win3.1 screen (rest is black around it). Any idea how to make the game launch more expanded, to the full screen of the Win3.1 screen width?
redwing634 is offline                         Send a private message to redwing634
Old 10-02-2021, 09:57 PM   #78
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Reduce the screen resolution used by Windows 3.1 to 640x480 (256 colors). That's the resolution the game is running at.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #79
redwing634
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Reduce the screen resolution used by Windows 3.1 to 640x480 (256 colors). That's the resolution the game is running at.
Found one that works. thanks!

Last edited by redwing634; 11-02-2021 at 03:03 PM.
redwing634 is offline                         Send a private message to redwing634