Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-03-2006, 08:49 AM   #31
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

It's not the point. Esperanto was created especially to become the universal language, yet it's a dead language now.

If I have to cast a vote, I would say keep the board in english only.
Old 17-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #32
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I did post before on closings of topics, and this is not just because of EOF, but because of rules. EOF is just doing his job (probably a bit to perfectly ) I think that we should adjust those rules, as our forum turns in hostile place for non-english speakers.

Just as gregor has said: Not every player speaks English. I did not speak it untill 10 years ago.

Subforum under Troubleshooting for other languages would do it, but I don't see the point to have it. Troubleshooting forum should be enough, and we should be able to help in almost any language. At least that's what I think.

Edit: I myself don't speak English correctly. I used this forum as learning tool for writting and learning, but as no one likes to spend whole day pointing to my mistakes, my English is improving at very slow speed.

ps. I speak Esperanto as if I was born there... LOL
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 17-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #33
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Mar 17 2006, 09:49 AM
If I have to cast a vote, I would say keep the board in english only.
i agree with that.

yet i also think if someone has a problem and can't write it in english then let him. i don't think it does any harm. if no one here understands his languge then he probably won't get the answer. but mostly as i saw it people tend to give some reply (solution) to those poor souls.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 17-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #34
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by gregor@Mar 17 2006, 11:42 AM
however even if people speak englsih not everyone speaks british english or even writes descent english... so maybe they feel more secure if they type in their own language.
I wonder what 1337 guys would say... :bleh:

But yes, I know it would be hard, but all the languages Abandonia is translated in should have a place somewhere on the forum.

Picard, I agree EoF has done the right thing, no question there - he simply followed the rules. I'm just saying we should have a little place with slightly different rules - for non english users, otherwise the point of translating the reviews is starting to loose its meaning.

I mean seriously now - do you think more people come here to read reviews, or to play games (regarthles if the read the review first or not). And our site can take a lot of pride in the fact that we do ofer technical support - so gamer who play games would (I'm certain) have greater need to ask questions and get answers in their native language, then to read reviews in it. Just look how many questions there are in English - and most of the stuff is covered in several other places (like - how do I run this game).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 17-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #35
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Look.. just as well as you say "we can use online translation" why can't the guy who is posting it?
Old 17-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #36
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

Well, I think that people who don't know English don't bother searching for online translators. (or don't know how to search for them...)

We should just end this. As someone already stated, people can use other languages to post what they want in the Troubleshooting forum, even SPAM or warez requests.

Afterall, there are many sites where people can post in their language on the internet. They might as well find help there. We should just keep the forum as it is now.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 17-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #37
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan@Mar 17 2006, 07:38 AM
Look.. just as well as you say "we can use online translation" why can't the guy who is posting it?
Do all of users who need help know of online translators. Are all translators good?

If that's the case, then we don't need to bother translating abandonia to other languages as we might just provide link for Zaxxon in French, German, Spanish, Italian, etc.

But that is more close to my level of English then to Abandonia's quality.

Quote:
Originally posted by Abi79@Mar 17 2006, 07:47 AM
Well, I think that people who don't know English don't bother searching for online translators. (or don't know how to search for them...)

We should just end this. As someone already stated, people can use other languages to post what they want in the Troubleshooting forum, even SPAM or warez requests.

Afterall, there are many sites where people can post in their language on the internet. They might as well find help there. We should just keep the forum as it is now.
And SPAM, Warez and something you don't understand is reason not to allow other to post? Those, same as simillar posts in English will be deleted.

I just like to remind you that not allowing other users who don't speak English to get help is unfair and unproductive.
Old 17-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #38
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan@Mar 17 2006, 02:38 PM
Maybe they would, if they would even KNOW they should use in english.

When is the last time you tried to post as a guest?

Imagine this:

1) Your english is bad and you find this great site, that has different little flags on top - you pick your flag and click on it.
2) Now you're reading about great games in your own language - and there is a button saying (in your native language): DISCUS THE GAME HERE - but as I said in your language.
3) You click on it to say something nice, to preise the site, to ask for help - whatever and you simply see a few english words (a language you're not good at) and a space to write the message in.
4) You write the message and send it off (in your own language) and have no idea you did anything wrong - and it gets deleted.

There is no warning there that you should only use english. That warning is in the registration form - so unregistred guest aren't even told (not even in a language they might not understand) to use english.

So why would they bother to use a translator?

Again:
1) Friendly invitation in your own language.
2) No warning to use English.
3) Capability to post.

All of that equals posts in native languages!

Not to mention that if you click on a game discusion link you'll be taken directly to the last post of that thread - so you'll never even see any stickies to read rules or anything!

And BTW - I only just realised all of that (I did a little test before I started writting this.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 17-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #39
Master MC
Hero Gamer

To be honest with you I never noticed the flags on top.

The Dutch site has treated the problem like this:
Quote:
Bespreek de game (Engels)! (82 berichten)
(Discuss the game (English)! (82 posts)
Master MC is offline                         Send a private message to Master MC
Old 17-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #40
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Why I see those rules harder to change then law in some countries? :blink: