Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
strangelove
Abandonia nerd

Thumbs up

I've got hold of a C64 emulator and am taking a bit of a trip back in time with it, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of a game I used to really like - does this sound familiar to anyone..

It's a 2d side scrolling ninja game where you were equipped with throwing stars, knives and a sword. If you attacked with the sword though nine times out of ten your enemy would fight back with theirs and you'd die. The most memorable thing about the game was that you could leap up through holes in the ceiling to higher screens and back down again. There might have been ladders too but I don't remember them. The aim of the game was to collect crystals as I remember and I have a feeling the map layout was random as were the opponants you faced. As in all good karate movies they politely lined up to fight you. I seem to remember that it had quite nice music but that might just be the intoxicating effect of nostalgia.

Ring any bells for anyone? To save on guesses it's not: Last Ninja, Bruce Lee or Kung Fu Master nor Double Dragon or Bad Dudes.
strangelove is offline                         Send a private message to strangelove
Old 22-08-2005, 01:34 AM   #2
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Parts of it sound like Shinobi and/or Dragon Ninja. My bet is on the second one.

If not, any details for example colour or enemies could help.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 22-08-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
eolsunder

sounds like Shinobi to me. I think you start off with a ninja face on the title screen, then move about throwing ninja stars and stuff.

man, the good old days, got to think about way back then.

Takes some effort.

eolsunder is offline                         Send a private message to eolsunder
Old 22-08-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
strangelove
Abandonia nerd

Shinobi is a good guess, that does fit the description pretty well but its not that, or Dragon Ninja. I'll give you as much detail as I possibly can, but it was a long time ago..

Format was definitely 8bit, I had it on the C64 and never saw it on anything more advanced. It was set in the past, possibly about the 16th century. The enemies were mostly grey from what I remember but there were different coloured ones. Knives and throwing stars could be picked up by pressing down when you were stood over them. There were outside and inside areas and I remember the animation for walking was pretty ropey. As for colours the hero was black with no other colours and the enemies were just a clone of the hero, I think they were mostly grey but there were different coloured ones to denote different ranks.

The most memorable thing for me was the way you could fly up through the holes in one giant leap taking you off the top of the screen into a new area of the temple. That's about all I can remember I'm afraid!
strangelove is offline                         Send a private message to strangelove
Old 22-08-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
strangelove
Abandonia nerd

:whistle: Ah got it thanks, it was just called Ninja..though for some reason the title screen pic most sites have for it looks nothing like the one I saw. Sorry for the spam, if anyone is interested though here's a pic -

Old 22-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

To me it sounded like "Saboteur" or "Saboteur II"... maybe just a different title for the same game? Can't see your picture...
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 22-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If you're using firefox, right click on the blank image (user posted image text appeared) and select 'view image' option.

Here are couple more images:

That game was on two floppies (or on one-two sided floppy)
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 22-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Or maybe Ninja Commando...

Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 22-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

He already has found the game.

There was a lot of ninja games on c64.

For example:

Ninja Spirit:

Ninja Warrior:
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 22-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #10
Himmler
Trollmaster General

that's a lot of ninjas...which one is the best ninja game?
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler