Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #31
mrniceguy

Excellent site k: I have just started playing AOD again which works well in Win98SE and I do remember completing this game several years ago :angel:

I already have ripped version AOD by Warrior (160 mb in rar files) plus animation addon (130 mb in rar files) which is almost complete. As I am ware the only missing files are the introduction.

Can anyone tell me what is the introduction like? I'm just curious how interesting is the story :w00t:
mrniceguy is offline                         Send a private message to mrniceguy
Old 18-04-2005, 01:27 AM   #32
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Quote:
Originally posted by rabadi@Mar 1 2005, 05:48 AM
Uh... sorry, stupid question. How do I save in this game? When I press ESC key, I only see Continue current game, Restore from an old game, Start a new game, and Exit to DOS functions.
Let me reply my own stupid question You save the game through the Character Sheet. To go into the Character Sheet, the shortcut key in keyboard is "C". In the Character Sheet screen, there is a diskette icon, which will take you to the Save/Restore screen. You can save there.

Okay, now after 579 save files and countless hours of playing I finally finished the game. Two words: awesome and disappointing.

The game is awesome. It gives enough enjoyment in the adventure aspect, and it is also quite friendly enough for RPG newbie like me. It does not throw a lot of statistics (I'm horrible with statistics). It is full of action, both melee and spellcasting, and it is necessary (at least in my case) to progress in both departments in order to survive the game.

It is quite disappointing in the end, however, due to the fact that the version here does not include the ending movie/cutscene. So there was I, standing in front of the Warlord himself, refusing his Darth Vader trap, and when I walked into the Anvil of Dawn, the game ended abruptly without any ending movie/scene whatsoever. I only got a message screen, "Congratulations for completing Anvil of Dawn. Brice your score is 134893. Send your score to: Hall of Heroes, New World Computing, blah, blah, blah..."

If I'm not mistaken, there is a limit of 100MB per game that is not in the VIP section. Since Anvil of Dawn provided here is 71,316 KB in size (around 70MB?), couldn't the ending movie be fitted in the remaining 30MB? Just curious.

Anyway, this is one of the good games, and I recommend it to anyone. I heard that Lands of Lore is similar to this one, I'll probably try it in the future. Right now I just started playing another game, so maybe I'll try Lands of Lore in June or July.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 23-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #33
mrniceguy

I have managed to find at last the missing bits - the movie intro/ending and bits between and happy to say all working fine so far. k:

Cheers
mrniceguy
mrniceguy is offline                         Send a private message to mrniceguy
Old 24-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #34
Christian IV
Game freak

:bye:
Anvil is very much in the same genre as Lands of Lore, so I think you
will like Lore after Anvil. The final movie is really great and does
help give a sense of completion to the game.

A great game.
Christian IV is offline                         Send a private message to Christian IV
Old 10-05-2005, 02:16 AM   #35

Been playing the game and its great. Am stuck a little though can anyone help me?

Im in the THE DARK LANTERN and have completed the basement. HOwever when I go back up to get to the second floor the door is closed and I dont know how to open it. Any ideas?

Old 21-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #36
Vitas

Ehm, this is probably a dumb question, but just to be sure... is it possible to sleep/rest in the game or is the healing based purely on regeneration or magic like in stonekeep?
Vitas is offline                         Send a private message to Vitas
Old 21-05-2005, 04:21 PM   #37
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

If I remember correctly, you heal over time. Just walk around the map.

I might be wrong
Old 22-05-2005, 05:06 PM   #38
vfrey

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@May 21 2005, 04:21 PM
I might be wrong
In fact you heal over time...but that happens very very slowly....
vfrey is offline                         Send a private message to vfrey
Old 24-05-2005, 11:58 PM   #39
Markie

This game is great, so thanks to the guys at Abandonia for uploading it! It seems to work OK in Dosbox; I'm using a Pentium 3 600 Mhz and have it running at 3400 frames with frameskip set to 2. If the game locks up (which it can do on the character selection screen) you need to disable the character voices : disable the soundblaster in the program setup and then in the game options turn "voices" off - you can now enable soundblaster digital sound again in setup. You can also speed up the game by disabling digital sound. Does anybody know how to get the voices working? The music sounds great selecting General Midi music (which Dosbox supports).

Old 13-06-2005, 01:08 AM   #40
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

I think (not entirely sure about it) that speech files, along with the movie files, are ripped from the archice so as to make it small enough (smaller than 100MB by the original size limit, prior to mega updates). So I don't think any setting would help since the files are missing anyway.

The other day I requested for the missing movie files to be added, but it seems nobody has it. Well, actually a fellow forum member has it but since the file is at IRC which I have no access to, I was unable to get it. You could ask again for the admins to add the missing movie and speech files, provided someone has them and is willing to upload to the server of course.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi