Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-01-2005, 12:48 AM   #1
WildZeppelin
Super Freak

Hello fello gamers! I've got a few requests if anyone can give me specific details on what I might be missing... The following games I just can't seem to get to work right, and I've used AbandonLoader, SoundVDM, and Dosbox. I'm guessing now that particular settings need to be changed, and if anyone can tell me what they are in the loaders, I'd be grateful.

XCOM: Runs fast with no sound;
DARKLANDS: No Sound;
Doom Collectors Ed: Mouse just won't work; (using a microsoft optical 4 button mouse with scroll wheel)
DARKFORCES: No mouse;
Wing Commander 3 & 4: No video, but in game choice options work;
Space Quest 4: doesn't work at all;
Space Quest 5: runs great until certain parts which go way too fast and are unplayable to continue;
Space Quest 6: really odd,... got to work `cept the cd seems to get accessed a lot and slows video up a good amount. and the endodroid runner for some reason won't talk to me... never had that prob before...it used to bomb when I got on the ship and needed to access the com panel in the medical bay. Not sure if it will this time since the guy on polysorbate won't talk to me...

If anyone had these problems and fixed them, please help me out. I'm running the following sys specs:

WINDOWS XP PRO SP2, ABIT IC7-G 875p
1.5Gig PC3200, 128Mb RADEON 9600
WildZeppelin is offline                         Send a private message to WildZeppelin
Old 02-01-2005, 01:01 AM   #2
Tuttle
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tuttle

I don't believe the DOS versions of Doom ever supported a mouse. If they did there was normally no point in using it because you couldn't aim up or down anyway.

For Space Quest stuff, look at www.spacequest.net -- there are links to a bunch of patches for the various games that help with newer hardware.
Tuttle is offline                         Send a private message to Tuttle
Old 02-01-2005, 01:26 AM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Xcom: I have a 2 gig computer and Xcom still run too fast or too slow depending of the cycles and I need to play with them all the time. The reason for that is that Xcom usually use different programs when it switch between World and Combat mode, so those program runs at completely different speed. Yet, when I set a right speed in the World mode and I go intercept an Alien ship, I need to get the cycle back down or the "chase" is way too fast... Go figure... It's still playable tough.

For your sounds problems, make sure when you are using DOSBox that the setup of the program is setted on Soundblaster with default settings on because DOSBox is configured to get sound only from that soundcard. However, it will emulate it so it doesn't matter if you actualy have that soundcard installed in your computer. What really matter is that the game must be setted with Soundlbaster in mind because DOSBox will make all the programs run with it think that's what you have.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:42 AM   #4
WildZeppelin
Super Freak

Kewl guys, thanks. I saw that sierra site and that's perfect. It addressed all the space quest issues I had.
Eagle, thanks for letting me know about XCOM. I really haven't had much luck with dosbox, but I'm hoping the more I tinker with it I'll get it going.
WildZeppelin is offline                         Send a private message to WildZeppelin
Old 02-01-2005, 02:05 AM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can customize quite a lot of speed issues in the combat mode in the options. Especially the speed of squaddie walk time and Alien time is usefull here.

I replyed a second time in hope that you get noticified via email, since you seem to hint you might not come back cheking this thread.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:09 AM   #6
WildZeppelin
Super Freak

No, I signed up to be a member and I have it on favorites now. Good useful info here. Nobody has comented on my X-Wing mention tho which surprises me. I really wish I knew what I did with those disks so I could still see those cutscenes. But the killer I hate the most about Lucasarts is the fact of how they left EVERYONE hanging with the end of Tie Fighter. X-Wing too, but not near as bad. Then they altered the fun completely by destroying the flight engine that was fun in the originals, but horrible in the later games.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
radiv
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuttle@Jan 2 2005, 02:01 AM
I don't believe the DOS versions of Doom ever supported a mouse. If they did there was normally no point in using it because you couldn't aim up or down anyway.

For Space Quest stuff, look at www.spacequest.net -- there are links to a bunch of patches for the various games that help with newer hardware.
Doom (at least Doom 2) had mouse support, but not mouselook. You could walk around with it and use lit as a joystick.

If you want to run Doom-engine games today, i recommend using a source port like Doom Legacy http://legacy.newdoom.com/ or Doomsday http://www.doomsdayhq.com/
radiv is offline                         Send a private message to radiv
Old 02-01-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
JJXB
Pi-voh

i know dark forces has limited mouse support because i own it. did you try activating it in the installation/configuration?
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 02-01-2005, 10:44 PM   #9
WildZeppelin
Super Freak

It's funny you mentioned that JJXB. I think I may have overlooked the obvious. Will have to check the setup config when I get home. Thanks for the 'up-side da head' smackeroo. :blink:
Old 13-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #10
WildZeppelin
Super Freak

Was searching but I couldn't seem to find the answer...so forgive me if this is a rehash. I need a reminder how to get past the direct x 5.2 installation part of Tie Fighter Gold (the version that came with xwing gold and tie gold). Xwing runs fine in 640x480 16bit, but if I enable 3d hardware, the game crashes. I can't remember having that problem before, so it's something I haven't figured how to correct, but it's playable (just wish to fix it if possible). The Tie Fighter will not let me enter the game because it's always prompting me to install the direct x drivers. I'm running 9, so what's the problem?