Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #31
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Yeah I can imagine that the U.K and U.S mags are different, from what I'm reading wish I could get myself a copy of the U.K one, it's unfortunate here that they only sell the U.S one, ah well maybe someday in the future...

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 24-04-2005, 10:23 PM   #32
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You can get an idea from the website although it's a standard templatey one for the publishers so it's not a very good representation.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 24-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #33
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Yeah I know what you mean, at least I can check out some of the reviews and such though, thanks for the link BeefontheBone k:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 25-04-2005, 12:03 AM   #34
Antaeus

I believe PC Game UK also ships overseas to some areas <.< Hard to find though. I know you can subscribe though and be overseas.
Antaeus is offline                         Send a private message to Antaeus
Old 25-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #35
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

My opinion of the journalist: Jeez, what a shithead.

UFO being crap? Not in a million years! Come on, I've been playing old and outdated games on my 486 until last year when it fried itself

For me, Starcraft is a "new" game. Space Hulk is "little oldish". And it has 12 years

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #36
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

They'll ship overseas to subscribers - worth it in Europe, not sure about the cost of getting it to the US though.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 25-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #37
a1s
Hero Gamer

I think you guys are wrong about the guy, while he obvioulsy is "his own biggest fan" (just look at the first completely irrelevant part of the article), the man still used to be one of us, and his article reflects not a hatred of the oldies, but the fear that they might not be what they used to be.
Indeed I've seen this opinion several times, and I share it to a limited degree- we,my friends, are crazy . put the tomatoes down, what I say is that the games are neither good nor bad by themselves- it is our imagination that turns Monocrome games that crash every hour into masterpieces (and I'm not afraid to say my favorite game is like that). You might call it prejudice, but most of my friends will not learn to like the pre VGA oldies if I chain the to a computer, they just won't. there's a sayng I like to repeat that "if you try Bordeaux brewed in 1990, just once you will never be able to drink Arbatskoye (for 100 rubles a bottle a bottle) ever again", it might not be the case here, but it is close. and even if we will grow old on this site, our children will hardly frequent it.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 25-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #38
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I used to collect PC Gamers (US edition) and same as here, some reviewers had different taste then I have, and some of the games I believed to be good, they gave low grades, while some game I believed to be trashy they gave high grade. (Just same as here we have people who prefer adventures or strategy games)

Last issue of PC Gamer I bought came with 10 classic full games including X-Com, Alone in the Dark, Wing Commander, etc.

That was the only reason I got it.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 25-04-2005, 03:08 PM   #39
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I don't agree with you, a1s, I'm a bit younger than you and most of the games on this site I've never even heard of. I got into abandonware because I wanted to play games I've never had the chance to play before (either because it was before I had a computer, or because my brother didn't want to buy the game - he was more into actiongames) so when I play an old game its rarely because of nostalgia because I've never played the game before. I can usually look past the dated graphics and bad sound (or even lack thereof) and see that a game, whatever its age, is indeed a classic!
Old 25-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #40
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroggy@Apr 25 2005, 03:08 PM
I can usually look past the dated graphics and bad sound (or even lack thereof) and see that a game, whatever its age, is indeed a classic!
those words warm my old mans hart
I'm actualy only 18, you know. The thruth is that I discovered the game I refered to back in about 1999, and I found it on HOTU. The funny thing is that for saying I liked old games in school, I actualy got some respect from more intellectualy developed (more than the average student) people, even though others didn't understand me. I believe that seeng low stat games as clssics is a frame of mind, and actualy having some experience from early '90s helps in it. but then again, maybe everyone can attain it if they are the right type?
BTW about the big gaming industries, there's still the open source scene- maybe we should expect new exciting ideas from there? B)
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s