Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

You may already know this, but it seems that in the last few weeks PC Gamer has been able to offend pretty much all fans of both old games and adventuregames.
At first they managed to offend pretty much the entire adventuregame community by giving the latest adventuregame The Moment of Silence an underwhelming 14%. Now this may not hurt all of us since we're not all avid adventuregamers, however I'm pretty sure most of us will be shocked by an article leaked from the PC gamer concearning abandonware and nostalgia.

In order not to hijack any links, I'll simply link to the news-page of the Wing Commander fansite where the news is posted.
Click

As you can see the author specifically targets the games X-com 1 (the n°1 most popular game on the site) and the original Wing Commander (which is the third most popular simulation-game on our site after Sim City 2000 and transport tycoon!) and goes on to say that all old games are basically muck.

What are your thoughts on this? Are we blinded by false feelings of nostalgia, or were they and are they still excellent games no matter what their graphics are?
Old 24-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Is this PC Gamer UK or US?

UK actually like old games, I have no idea about US. They even had an article on UFO: Enemy Unknown
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 24-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

This is proof why PC Gamer is bollocks and we should all read PC Zone [/shameless plug]
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 24-04-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I don't know, but by researching (actually just typing his name into google and clicking the search button) the journalist himself (Gary Whitta) I found out he writes for both the UK and US editions of PC Gamer Gary Whitta
Old 24-04-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That's the American one, and it's the opinion of one journo. The UK version would be unlikely to print something like that - they carry lots of features about older games, including their Classic Demo on the coverdiscs. In fact, this site was mentioned in there, which is why I'm here.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 24-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
punch999
The true Shadow President

thats just dumb but hey they are intitled to their own oppinion.
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 24-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
Braindead
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to Braindead Send a message via MSN to Braindead

YEAH OLD GAMES ARE CRAP!

well for some people they are as they prefer recent games detailed good graphics, I personally don't care about graphics so much for me the important thing is game addictivenes and gameplay.

YEAH I LOVE OLD GAMES!
Braindead is offline                         Send a private message to Braindead
Old 24-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #8
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hmm, is it really all that important what one journalist - or even one journal - thinks? To tell you the truth, this is the first time I've ever heard of PC Gamer , so I can't say I care much for their opinion...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 24-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #9
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It's too bad he does not give any reason for why he thinks old games are "crap" when holding them to the light of modern gaming. If he had I could perhaps have responded with a debate but with such a none-sensicle and unsupported statement there is little to say except, I disagree.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 24-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #10
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Apr 24 2005, 12:09 PM
Hmm, is it really all that important what one journalist - or even one journal - thinks? To tell you the truth, this is the first time I've ever heard of PC Gamer , so I can't say I care much for their opinion...
PC gamer is one of the most widely known PC magazines :blink: