Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #101
Sal
Game Wizzard

Hi There Guest....I downloaded my copy of the game from the Abandonia site and it is the floppy disk version (no mouse ) I simply copied the game to Dos Box 0.72 extracted the files scrolled down to Tatou exe. click on that and the game starts..I had a few probs with saving games initially but once I got that sorted the game plays really well I love it. There are some great people at Abandonia who can help you good luck with the game
Sal is offline                         Send a private message to Sal
Old 16-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #102
The Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Hi There Guest....I downloaded my copy of the game from the Abandonia site and it is the floppy disk version (no mouse ) I simply copied the game to Dos Box 0.72 extracted the files scrolled down to Tatou exe. click on that and the game starts..I had a few probs with saving games initially but once I got that sorted the game plays really well I love it. There are some great people at Abandonia who can help you good luck with the game
Thanks, but the CD version is apparently a whole different animal in terms of making it work. Now I have a slight progress to report. I had all the game files on a folder on my hard drive. Then I held the CTRL button and dragged the install.exe on top of my Dosbox shortcut. That is an alternative way to start a program that requires the DOS environment. Now the text became readable. There's a single blue window that notifies me that "Installation path must be C:\infogram\shadow.cd".

This is a matter of mounting the drives in the right way. Previously when I ran the installer from the virtual cd-drive, different menus popped up. Next I tried to drag the installer.exe from virtual drive to the Dosbox icon. It didn't function. When you jumpstart the Dosbox with this method, things get jumbled.

H is the letter of my virtual drive. Dosbox tried to execute this line:

"mount C H:"

"Directory H: doesn't exist" is the result. I wonder why Dosbox doesn't recognize the virtual drive H. I have it mounted in the config file thusly:

mount h h:\ -t cdrom

And about the installation path that should be "C:\infogram\shadow.cd". I created a structure like that complete with a "shadow.cd" subfolder. And ran the installer from there. Still no luck. I guess there's a way solve this, I haven't been able to do it.

Old 17-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #103
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Thanks, but the CD version is apparently a whole different animal in terms of making it work. Now I have a slight progress to report. I had all the game files on a folder on my hard drive. Then I held the CTRL button and dragged the install.exe on top of my Dosbox shortcut. That is an alternative way to start a program that requires the DOS environment. Now the text became readable. There's a single blue window that notifies me that "Installation path must be C:\infogram\shadow.cd".
The drag & drop is not a recommended way of running games. It works, but isn't always reliable.

Quote:
"mount C H:"

"Directory H: doesn't exist" is the result. I wonder why Dosbox doesn't recognize the virtual drive H.
mount C H:\

And you're forgetting you need to mount somewhere you can install it to.
Create a directory for your DOS games somewhere and mount THAT as the C drive in DOSbox.

Quote:
[b] I have it mounted in the config file thusly:
mount h h:\ -t cdrom
First, always mount drives using successive letters of the alphabet, starting with C. So you'd actually mount this as D

But you're saying you run it from a virtual drive, ie you have an image of the CD. Use IMGMOUNT to mount the image as a drive in DOSbox (read up on that in the DOSBox readme file, there are a few things that make doing it for the first time somewhat difficult)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #104
The Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
But you're saying you run it from a virtual drive, ie you have an image of the CD. Use IMGMOUNT to mount the image as a drive in DOSbox (read up on that in the DOSBox readme file, there are a few things that make doing it for the first time somewhat difficult)
Jesus hotrodding Christ, now it's working! Thanks man. Using the Dosbox's internal IMGMOUNT command was the key. Since otherwise there was a conflict, as the system didn't regard a Daemon Tools -mounted drive as a proper drive. Before I haven't had much success in tinkering with these CD settings.

Old 18-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #105
Sal
Game Wizzard

Can anyone tell me where to find Coldstone's house..The map is pretty well useless I have taken out 2of the 4 but have been wandering around Illsmouith for 2 days trying to find Coldstone's house .Thanks
Old 19-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #106
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Shadow of the Comet Walkthrough
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 19-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #107
Sal
Game Wizzard

:thumbs:Thanks JMB I did finally find the house and got Coldstone HehHeh ..Now to get the rest...Sal
Old 23-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #108
Sal
Game Wizzard

Its a couple of days later and I FINISHED THE GAME...I loved it. It had an inherent creepiness from the time Parker stepped off the boat until the final frame...I thought the graphics were good and the only thing that was a pain from time to time was the keyboard controls..
Old 25-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #109
Snake_Plissken

Finally downloadable! This game is one of the best adventure games I have ever played. Danger lurks behind every corner, the spooky atmosphere, music... And so many ways to die
A bit hard game though, I had to consult the walkthrough few times
Snake_Plissken is offline                         Send a private message to Snake_Plissken
Old 26-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #110
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Danger lurks behind every corner, the spooky atmosphere, music...
Cthulhu Fhtagn, my friend... Cthulhu Fhtagn.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman