Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > Specific games
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #31
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Though I have no experience with PSP, I'm very sure that Fallout would need a higher Ms-Dos version than 5. I don't know if you can edit DosBox options file, dosbox-x.xx.conf, but if you can, try putting the following line at the very end under [autoexec] section:

VER SET 7 10

That will set the Dos version to 7.10, which is what it was under Windows 98. Might try

VER SET 6 22

as well, since that was the last "Windows-less" Ms-Dos version I think.

Also have a look under the [dos] section at the bottom and whether you have XMS=, SMS= and UMB= values all set to true. If yes, it might be worthwhile to set each individually to false and see if that changes anything.

Just a shot in the dark at the possible realistic reasons here, since I have no experience with running DosBox on PSP.

Edit: Thinking on it, it also indeed might have to do with loading / writing only 10 files. Ms-Dos actually allowed more than 8 files, which was the minimum, through a files=x command which was used back in Ms-Dos by a config.sys file, loaded at the very startup. It allowed more files to load at a time, dunno what the maximum was, maybe 255. Reasonable amount back in these days was 20 or 30 files, also depending on maximum RAM available.

Don't think DosBox supports anything like that, though, at least not by default.

Have a look on those Dos parameters here, if you like:
https://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

Last edited by Scatty; 23-08-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 23-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #32
DADi590

Thanks for the reply. Though, none of the ideas worked... About the edit, I didn't know it was the minimum, nor that it could be changed. I thought it was a fixed value. And thanks for the link. Very interesting actually. I'm not from MS-DOS era (or at least with enough age), but I find thse things kinda interesting. Sadly, the max file load seems not to be possible to change... (unless I rewrite PSP's kernel and drivers to do this and I have no idea how to do it, nor I'm an experienced programmer or hard-coder, I'm only a beginner haha). I've thought in putting the game in an img file, but I'm not quite sure how to do it yet... I think it would solve the problem is the cause is the max file load being 9 (not 10, my mistake - so including the DOSBox executable, the remaining are 8 files to load). But I can't do this now. I don't have a PC. I'm changing configuration and those things from my PSP and putting other DOSBox versions on it through my phone. I'll not be at home for days... So I'm open to any more suggestions since I can't test the img one. Btw, the Android DOSBox has DOS 5.0 and Fallout 1 works there (I've seen videos showing it working), and also, the PSP version of DOSBox is 0.71, if it helps in any way. But Fallout works on the PC version 0.71, so versions of DOSBox and DOS should not be the problem I think. Any more ideas.......? haha

EDIT: If it helps, I read the img part here: https://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-ho...t-written.html. The person seems to have my problem and on the PSP, and I found the img idea interesting. I just don't know if it won't put the PSP slower by being loading an operating system... (if I understood their ideas right)
DADi590 is offline                         Send a private message to DADi590
Old 23-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #33
DADi590

I've read a bit more about DOS and DOSBox. Seems that DOS has a default number for a single processnto open files, and that's 20. 5 of them are for stdin and those commands, and the rest are to open any files. The FILES=XXXX is the TOTAL amount of files that can be opened in the system. But each process opens only 15 files at most. And this was written by a DOS programmer in 2002, so at minimum, older versions of DOS had 15 or less files to open by a single process (and Fallout is a single process). Source of this: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/msdos-progr...ection-12.html.

---About the img part---

1 - If I create an ISO wity the game CD (which I own, btw - version 1.2 though, but at least it's the officially most updated one), will it load only the ISO file, or will mount it as in Windows and load the files individually? Because I could install with the Minimum Installation option and run everything from the CD, it it would load only the ISO and all fikes individually (I don't think this would work this way, but doesn't hurt to try asking haha).

2 - In case the point 1 doesn't work as I wanted it to, if I modify a Windows image to have the game on it, can I save the games in a drive out of it? For example, mounting Windows 3.1 (the most light one of the 3 I saw) in C (as it would be an image -file .img -, I wouldn't be able to modify it **** saving games on it) and saving the games in E in a folder, mounted normally in a folder of the memory card. Would this work?

3 - If none of the 2 ideas work, would there be another one?

Thanks again for any help that anyone can provide (and thanks for those who already did).

EDIT: Now I thought about idea 2 again... The game doesn't ask for a place to save! It's always in FALLOUT/DATA/SAVEGAMES. Then I can't save this in another drive....... Cool...... Maybe if I use Minimum Installation and choose to install in another drive and keep the CD being the way to load the game? Still, this would have to be loaded with an img operating system, to overcome the 9 max file loads problem on the PSP (minus one for the DOSBox executable - DOSBox for PSP has only 2 files: the executable and dosbox.conf, and I imagine it will unload the conf file after reading it). So, have a system inside an img file, mount the CD files in another drive and mount a drive for the installation. The last 2 drives would be with locally stored files in the memory card. Windows would be in an img file and wouldn't be possible to change anything on it. As I read in the thread I linked before, it's possible to make a custom image. So, I'd have to install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox for Windows, do what I wrote, save the system in an img file with the installation already made and the shortcuts changed to point to the PSP folders, and put everything running on the PSP. Does this sound it could work? Or I'm missing anything? OR THERE'S AN EASIER WAY?????? Because this is crazy!!!!!! (but if it's the only way, when I get home in a week or so, I'll start looking on how to do this...)

Last edited by DADi590; 23-08-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 27-08-2019, 11:22 PM   #34
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Unfortunately, I am familiar with Windows-version only, so I have no idea how it must work on PSP, sorry.
Old 28-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #35
DADi590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Unfortunately, I am familiar with Windows-version only, so I have no idea how it must work on PSP, sorry.
No problem . I'll keep trying until I get without more ideas. The best idea would to reprogram the game to use less than 8 files... But no one has the source of it, so.... Not gonna be done it seems. If it can be done without the source code, I have no idea how it's done. I'll see if this Windows idea works. I've read bad news about it which say that it won't detect CD drives... (so probably not HDD drives also) And if it's true, then the idea won't work at all, since it was about creating a virtual HDD to run the game on... If it doesn't work, then it seems I got the game working on the PSP fast but just as a Demo hahaha, since no one can save the games with it...................
Old 29-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #36
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADi590 View Post
I'll see if this Windows idea works.
I think, you are over-complicating things. If image of Windows system will work, image with DOS system will work the same, as Win3.1 is simply elaborate DOS-program. Make it DOS.
Old 29-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #37
DADi590

Ah yes, sorry. I forgot to mention I think. Not Windows 3.1 anymore. I had read it runs in DOS, so it's the same thing. Now the idea is to run Windows 95 and run Fallout in it, as it's not a DOS program anymore, DOS will just run it and and run only one file: the .img file. I thought this would work with 3.1, but I didn't know it run on DOS before.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #38
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Be careful with Windows 95. Although it's been one of the simpler "pure" Windows versions, it's also the first Windows to boot right from the start, even if through Ms-Dos 7.1. You'd have to edit a file in the root directory of the drive Windows 95 is on, to stop it from loading directly after start and to stay in Ms-Dos prompt.
It can also mess up your booting sequence with PSP, whichever operating system that console natively loads.

Also Windows 95 still requires Ms-Dos drivers to be loaded for many things, including CD-ROM drives. One of them is MSCDEX.EXE command in autoexec.bat file which is provided natively with Windows 95' Ms-Dos, the other is your CD drive's provided drivers, loaded in config.sys file - required. If you don't have the latter, Windows 95 won't recognize the CD drive.
And it should be drivers which are compatible not just with Windows XP and older as usual by now, but compatible with older Windows 95, and that is the hard part.
Old 19-05-2020, 01:35 AM   #39
DADi590

Smile An update on the error

So only 8 months after the last time hahaha, I FINALLY have something to try! Not much though. I came across an idea to debug the game (use some debugger or something), and something came up on Google which was Fallout's Debug Mode. Though, only for Windows. So in 3-4 hours, the second time I used reverse engineering (the biggest one at the moment hahaha), I did the same that was done to the original Windows executable, I did it to the original DOS executable and enabled Debug Mode on it. I ran the game as normal and did what was supposed to do in order for the save game to fail. I failed twice on purpose to try to see a pattern (idiot idea, should have been more - pattern of 2, wow ). Anyways, this is what came on the debug file. Would anyone recognize something useful from here that could help knowing what the problem is? The fails I think it's the ones in the end, but look in the entire file if needed. I've no idea what's the problem with the game...
Debug file
Old 20-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #40
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Hmm, looking at the debug file dump, let me ask you something - have you ran other games in DosBox on the PSP aside of Fallout 1? If so, did they have similar problems to save games, or there were none?
Can't pinpoint a solution, but my gut feeling says that there's an incompatibility problem between DosBox' emulated file system, and the PSP's file system. In that when Fallout 1 is trying to save the game, it fails to be able to write the necessary data on PSP's internal storage. But it's just a feeling, I'm not technically skilled enough to decipher the debug file info.