Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 17-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #323
wghackett
Default Playing on Windows 7

Has anyone discovered how to download and play on Windows 7

Old 17-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #324
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Downloading it goes the same as on any other Windows version. Playing it goes the same as on Vista and XP - just use DOSBox

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #325
MonsignorGabriel

I dunno if it's because I'm too unskilled or too stupid to play this game... But it was actually a challenge for me to like it.

I never managed to get past the development of iron-clad ships and Musketeers. Somehow, my enemies had developed airplanes in the meantime! What the hell was I doing wrong for that to happen?!

One thing I can't seem to get pat down is city management/improvement. There is always a famine/riot that disrupts the whole damn game for me. And yet I still have to expand and gather resources... I never understood resources, either. Was I supposed to MINE for them? Was I supposed to mine where the diamond icons were at? I couldn't figure it out in time for me to abandon playing it after it thoroughly kicked my ass at playing it.

But I guess it is a good game either way. Revolutionary, considering it was the only game of it's kind at that time. Can you really imagine a world without strategy games?
MonsignorGabriel is offline                         Send a private message to MonsignorGabriel
Old 26-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #326
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsignorGabriel View Post
I never managed to get past the development of iron-clad ships and Musketeers. Somehow, my enemies had developed airplanes in the meantime! What the hell was I doing wrong for that to happen?!
Generally speaking if you want scientific progress, you'll want to discard despotism ASAP, and also monarchy in favor of republic or democracy.

Quote:
One thing I can't seem to get pat down is city management/improvement. There is always a famine/riot that disrupts the whole damn game for me. And yet I still have to expand and gather resources... I never understood resources, either. Was I supposed to MINE for them? Was I supposed to mine where the diamond icons were at? I couldn't figure it out in time for me to abandon playing it after it thoroughly kicked my ass at playing it.
The key here is looking up the Civilopedia, the last menu on the right. It has all the info on how much of each resource each kind of terrain yields, what improvements increase what output, and what bonuses does every government system have.

If you look it up you'll see that you'll want to irrigate and build roads across plains and grasslands, and mine hills, or if you have no hills mine deserts or mountains. Later railroads can add a little bonus to everything. Jungles and marshes are worthless, unless they have some special feature, if they don't and you're short on terrain clear them for farmland or transform them to forests if you're short on production (shields). Special features like diamonds give big bonuses with or without improvements, but you should still improve that terrain in the same way.
Old 27-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #327
MightyMouser

I think the Civilopedia is essential when you first get started. The learning curve is so steep you can't help but refer to it a bunch of times. It's great that they have that reference there. I was always kind of annoyed though that they didn't list all of the +/-'s for each government in their respective section. You had to actually look at several sections to fully grasp what all each government provided. I looked at the manual myself to understand the full benefits(and shortcomings) of each government. But whatever, not a huge deal.

I hate the combat though in the game, does nothing for me.

Railroads though, man those rule. Movement on them costs zero points? Right on.
MightyMouser is offline                         Send a private message to MightyMouser
Old 27-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #328
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouser View Post
Railroads though, man those rule. Movement on them costs zero points? Right on.
They are infinitely faster than planes.
Old 29-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #329
MonsignorGabriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Generally speaking if you want scientific progress, you'll want to discard despotism ASAP, and also monarchy in favor of republic or democracy.

The key here is looking up the Civilopedia, the last menu on the right. It has all the info on how much of each resource each kind of terrain yields, what improvements increase what output, and what bonuses does every government system have.

If you look it up you'll see that you'll want to irrigate and build roads across plains and grasslands, and mine hills, or if you have no hills mine deserts or mountains. Later railroads can add a little bonus to everything. Jungles and marshes are worthless, unless they have some special feature, if they don't and you're short on terrain clear them for farmland or transform them to forests if you're short on production (shields). Special features like diamonds give big bonuses with or without improvements, but you should still improve that terrain in the same way.
*takes notes*

So... What would you say is an ideal tax setting?Lil' Ol' Communist me always keeps taking it away from the people.

Seriously, though, I always set it at 50%, and always panic about it when people start to get angry (ironically, I soon realized it never did anything).
MonsignorGabriel is offline                         Send a private message to MonsignorGabriel
Old 29-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #330
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Taxes don't make anyone unhappy, they reduce science instead.
Every city can have a certain number of citizens who stay content, additional citizens will be unhappy but you can reduce unhappiness with military units or city buildings like temples. There's also the option to raise luxuries.
I always start with 0 percent tax and 100 percent science and raise taxes when I need money to maintain buildings.
The best way to increase science is increasing trade (caravans are very effective).
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster