Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #211
markno2

This is the best RPG game ever. There's nothing else like it.
markno2 is offline                         Send a private message to markno2
Old 14-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #212
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Well they tried something similar with Antara.. and failed miserably. It had the same premise, spans 3CDs, but it's just not as much fun as Krondor is. Maybe because you don't have a badass half-elf to your shepherd boy BAK is truly one of the best RPGs of its time.
hunvagy is offline                         Send a private message to hunvagy
Old 17-07-2009, 04:31 AM   #213
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
Well they tried something similar with Antara.. and failed miserably. It had the same premise, spans 3CDs, but it's just not as much fun as Krondor is. Maybe because you don't have a badass half-elf to your shepherd boy BAK is truly one of the best RPGs of its time.
Antara failed in large part because it wasn't the same "they" that made the game as BoK. The latter became a big success, and the VP at Dynamix who had constantly fought with the development team fired them almost immediately. Then, in turn, he got some minor staff programmer to do up a game that offered "more of the same, only bigger" in Antara, with terrible writing, and extremely poor balance. It was a bomb, and deservedly so. The VP was fired, in turn.

Return to Krondor was something else. Sierra farmed it out to a company that had never made an RPG before, and they produced a competent, all too linear, and rather unimaginative game as a result. But it's worlds' better than Antara.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 31-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #214
Aldarinn

I finished BaK JUST now and am feeling awfully sad that it all must come to an end. The story seemed like one capable of going on forever. Simply put, this is the finest RPG I've ever laid my hands on. Long live Sierra and Raymond E. Feist.
Aldarinn is offline                         Send a private message to Aldarinn
Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #215
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldarinn View Post
I finished BaK JUST now and am feeling awfully sad that it all must come to an end. The story seemed like one capable of going on forever. Simply put, this is the finest RPG I've ever laid my hands on. Long live Sierra and Raymond E. Feist.
Feist only gave permission for the use of his characters. He had no input into BaK. And Sierra only published it. The work was done by a team at a subsidiary that had complete control of their own choices, Dynamix.

If you want to see who really was responsible, check out the manual for the Dynamix's development team.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #216
bloodswj
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
Feist only gave permission for the use of his characters. He had no input into BaK. And Sierra only published it. The work was done by a team at a subsidiary that had complete control of their own choices, Dynamix.

If you want to see who really was responsible, check out the manual for the Dynamix's development team.
Borodin I read you mention that this is one of your top five RPG's of all time. Although this may not be the proper forum for it, I wanted to ask you what the other four are. You seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject.

BTW, I used to go to my best friends house as a child to play this game, a King's Quest title or two, lots of Quest for Glory, Dune, Dune 2, and Eric the Unready. This game brings back fond memories even though we never really accomplished much on it.
bloodswj is offline                         Send a private message to bloodswj
Old 05-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #217
Sarin
Forum hobbit

That's a matter of perspective, and what you want from the game...but generally, Fallout series (except 3 perhaps), TES series (especially Morrowind), Might and Magic 4-6, and Baldur's Gate series make into most of these top RPG lists.

Edit: And forgot Gothic series...

Last edited by Sarin; 05-02-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Sarin is offline                         Send a private message to Sarin
Old 05-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #218
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodswj View Post
Borodin I read you mention that this is one of your top five RPG's of all time. Although this may not be the proper forum for it, I wanted to ask you what the other four are. You seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject.
There are many just as knowledgeable, here, and some with far greater knowledge in some areas--but as you wish it, sahib, so shall it be. I'll even had 5 more rather than 4, and in no particular order:

King of Dragon Pass is an astonishing RPG/strategy hybrid. I only wish it had sold better, but it appeared only on the Web, and at a time when you still couldn't make a living doing that.

Ultima VIIa.

Darklands.

Planescape: Torment

Morrowind (with plenty of mods)

...or, if you won't allow mods:

Baldur's Gate II. (Though there are some damn fine mods for BG2, as well. They just cover fewer aspects of the game.)

Quote:
BTW, I used to go to my best friends house as a child to play this game, a King's Quest title or two, lots of Quest for Glory, Dune, Dune 2, and Eric the Unready. This game brings back fond memories even though we never really accomplished much on it.
If you had fun, that's what counts. Don't let any powerplayer tell you otherwise.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #219
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

Actually, Return to Krondor was supposed to be published by some other company, I think Take Two? I guess Sierra must've lost the rights. But Sierra ended up buying up the rights to publish RtK before it was completed. I remember because I was distinctly excited about another Krondor game, and disappointed that my favorite company (Sierra) wasn't going to make it.

Betrayal at Krondor would be a great candidate for a remake. The story and gameplay were excellent at the time, but the graphics were horrible, even back then. But I still liked the scope of the games, and having to travel long distances to cities. It made a huge impression on me.

As for King of Dragon Pass, I agree it was a unique and interesting game that was strangely addicting. Definitely worth checking out.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #220
Capo
Unconventional member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
King of Dragon Pass is an astonishing RPG/strategy hybrid. I only wish it had sold better, but it appeared only on the Web, and at a time when you still couldn't make a living doing that.
Never heard of that, is that good ?
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo