Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-06-2005, 03:58 AM   #1
dumpling321
Abandonia nerd

Thumbs down

my earlier post was moved to favorite oldies and newbys because it wasn't a real troubleshooting problem but now i do have a few here they are

1. in qfg4 when i play the windows version the pointer icons are small and black and they have no animation (like the eyeball doesn't roll around or the mouth doesn't make a talking motion)

2. when i use the dos version (i have the cd with both windows and dos versions) i got the sound working by using full dos but it's really choppy
dumpling321 is offline                         Send a private message to dumpling321
Old 09-08-2005, 07:22 AM   #2

When in DOSbox:
I cannot get the text boxes to play at a rational reading speed. Even though I've tried lowering the cpu cycles, but I have to do it to such an extent that the walking speed of the character becomes unbareably slow (and I mean unbearable, because I so desperately want to play this game because I only ever got to touch it once when it first came out - that I have got alot of paitence ) Also, it ends up so low that I'm terrified my pc will just grind to a halt

There also tends to be lots of fatal bugs, that provide no error messages either before or after I get kicked out of the game. This doesn't happen quite so frequently when I play the game purely through windows (I use xp by the way) but of course when I play it (or try to at least) that waythe speed of the text is like the speed of light... And oddly enough the character animation speed is choppy and sluggish...

In a way I'm not so surprised that I'm having these problems, because I seem to recall this game and a few other of Sierra's "last gasp" releases being horribly buggy, but seeing as technology has marched forward I figured patches or something might be available.

Anyways - If anyone has any ideas I would be so eternally grateful, and would consider you and your childeren to come forever blessed

Old 09-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Data
retired

fast text when running in dosbox.

Make sure you resource.cfg (of QFQ 4) points to the right location.
The game can not find it's cdrom. It uses the cdrom to match the text to played speech. No cdrom => no speech => equals infinity fast played audiotracks => very fast text speech
Old 10-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #4
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

(Forgot to log in on previous post - oops, sorry!)

Data - Thank you, after reading your post I realised that the "simplest solution is often the best", and I just switched off the audio option (which is available on the in-game menu) and Violia! no speech to co-ordinate with, so no hyper-speed text.
(It worked for SQ6 also)

I can't believe how silly I was not to realize this, so once again - Thank you k:

Of course, now there are some proper speed isues to deal with, like fatal crashes etc. that cannot be solved as simply as flicking a menu switch, so I suppose I can't avoid not learning how to use Mo'slo forever, but until that day is forced upon me, I will be the girl in the corner happily reading the game-text at her own pace