Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #11
Kezz

I have and love galactic civilizations, but for two things.

one, the research tree is downright maddening. You can -barely- figure out what exactly you are researching, and its even harder to figure out where you want to take your research tree or even if you'll be getting anything cool from it.

The second thing I abhor is the combat system. Gone are the shield, armor, and structure of MoO2, and replaced, is it, by a watered-down point system.

"OOH! my ship had 23 attack points and their ship had only 22 defence points! I win!"

there will ALWAYS be a clear victor between any given two ships, and it really annoys me, especially after the massive battles you could get in MoO. In MoO, it not only depended on what you put into your ship, but tactics came into play as well. Have a capital ship blowin up your fleet? send a fighter to snipe it from behind where it cant get at you. Missles comin in on your behind? blow em out of the sky!

I really like GalCiv, the graphics are snazzy and the game just generally rocks, (especially that kick behind AI!) but the lack of a combat system and a research tree that was so tangled it lived in five dimensions really killed the game for me.

--FUN FACT!: In Galactic Civilizations, your scientists didnt invent teleporters by doing lots of tiring research; rather, they invented it entirely by watching old reruns of Star Trek. Beam me up, Scotty!
Old 15-04-2005, 01:18 PM   #12
Marek
Abandonia nerd

Yeah I haven't played it in a while and I forgot about the annoying Tech tree, and from what I've seen of GalCiv II, the Tech tree is not gonna be much better.

Its gonna be a little more complicated I think, thats about it
Marek is offline                         Send a private message to Marek
Old 15-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #13
Kezz

I didnt mind the tech tree so much, I mean it all gets researched in the end and if you pay close attention you can figure stuff out, but what I want is the ability to make my own ships! Diplomacy is so boring.
Old 16-04-2005, 04:24 AM   #14
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

The tech tree was actually improved in the new add-on. You can now bring up one of those mini-screens that show where a particular tech leads, and other techs around it. It's not perfect, but it helps.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin