Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Razors78

Hi!

I am having lots of trouble with my installed DOS verisons of Rama & Lighthouse, using Dosbox 0.70.
I try to run the games, but there is absolutely no sound and/or music in these two games for some very weird reason I tried running Phantasmagoria and there was music in that game but no sound effects & no speech!!
So what's going on? All other games I run have sound except those Sierra adventure games.

There is also a slight problem with speed as it doesn't seem to help speeding up the game by pressing Ctril+F12. There is no speed increase no matter how many cycles I end up with Clues??

My soundblaster emulation in DosBox 0.70 is set to IRQ 7 & DMA 1, and I don't think it has to do with me running Vista, or does it?

Please help me sorting this mess out
Razors78 is offline                         Send a private message to Razors78
Old 24-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

about the sound: in each game there uses to be "install" or "setup" excutables where you can set up your sound and music

about the cycles:
Quote:
Originally posted by www.reloaded.org
DOSBox is slow and stuttering no matter what I do.
Be sure to have at least a 400 MHz CPU.
Try setting your displaydepth to 16 bit colours.
Set in dosbox.conf output=overlay
Don't run any automatic throttling programs (mostly laptops).
btw no soundblaster settings in dosbox have nothing to do together=)
Old 25-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

QUOTE(Razors78 @ May 24 2007, 08:45 PM) [snapback]291241[/snapback]
Quote:
I am having lots of trouble with my installed DOS verisons of Rama & Lighthouse, using Dosbox 0.70.
I try to run the games, but there is absolutely no sound and/or music in these two games for some very weird reason I tried running Phantasmagoria and there was music in that game but no sound effects & no speech!!
So what's going on? All other games I run have sound except those Sierra adventure games.
[/b]
Are you sure you configured them to use the correct soundcard?

Quote:
There is also a slight problem with speed as it doesn't seem to help speeding up the game by pressing Ctril+F12. There is no speed increase no matter how many cycles I end up with Clues??[/b]
output=ddraw
and
core=dynamic
also, change
cycles=12000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

Quote:
My soundblaster emulation in DosBox 0.70 is set to IRQ 7 & DMA 1,[/b]
Don't forget the Sound Blaster variant - the default is SB16 (Sound Blaster 16), but I suggest SBPRO2 (Sound Blaster Pro 2) instead.

Quote:
and I don't think it has to do with me running Vista, or does it? [/b]
You never know...

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
Razors78

Still none of those settings work, and I'm running Vista at the moment, but that shouldn't affect DosBox performance at all. But for some reason, there still isn't any sound/music on the above mentioned games.

The real issue is that the games run and all, intro comes and away you go, cd loads and everything, except the sounds, it's all gone!

Btw: If someone has played those games in Dosbox 0.70 under Vista then please do tell me exactly what settings you had, and what frontend you were using
Old 29-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

...Excuse me?
...You were using a frontend and didn't say so?
...Try running the games in DosBox but without the frontend.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
Razors78

Thanks for the Help! Without the frontend it works great! Now the sound works amost 100% perfect, but sometiems the music stutters, and it hapens every now & then Why is that? Did I miss somehing? Or is there a setting I have to adjust somewhere to make the music & sound play smoothly?

Also, is there a way to change cd's in those games? Every time I try to change disc i end up in a Dos prompt, which is telling me there was an error More help is appreciated please

Old 29-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Open up dosbox.conf and change Core to Dynamic. Also, increase the cycles (and maybe frameskip).

Changing CD's while the game is running is quite possible, due to a new feature in DosBox 0.70.
You have to input the target ISOs in the IMGMOUNT command, like this:
IMGMOUNT D: C:\ISO\ISO1.iso C:\ISO\ISO2.iso -t iso
Then a keyboard shortcut switches the images. Don't recall exactly, buyt it was either CTRL+F4 or CTRL+F6... listed in the readme, anyway.

-- Reed Richards
Old 29-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Razors78

Well, I'm having the Original CD's of botj games, and therefore I don't use ISO images to switch CD's
But I will try to change to Dynamic Mode and see if that helps
You have been very helpful so far!
Old 29-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

What is the exact text of the error message, then?
And, how did you mount your CD-Rom drive? (what parameters etc)

-- Reed Richards
Old 29-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #10
Razors78

Well, I mounted the CD-ROM drive this way.
Mount d d:\ -t cdrom (should be correct) and then I installed the games from D:\ like I always do.

And I read from somewhere that you could use Ctril+F4, (which I tried a few times) in between disc swapping and that works ok mostly, but sometimes I get this looooong message about a Technical Error occured, please contact Sierra or whatever it says.

And regarding my stuttering sound issues (IMOPRTANT!), many games have this tiny sound skip every 5 seconds or so. Why is that? The only thing I changed in my dosconfig file was from normal CPU to Dynamic CPU which I prefer

If someone on this forum has more or less perfect sound in most games then what is your configuration?

This has to be my last cry for help I hope!