Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 29-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

This is unfortunately what AB has become over the years. The good members left, the whiners stayed.

Or no. Maybe that's too harsh. I think the real problem come from moderation. In the old days people like Niles or Titan were active and would have smote someone doing something like this on sight. It simply doesn't happen anymore, moderators and admins either get on their horses for trivialities or downright don't do their job.

If we weren't on a "free" server I'm sure we would have hit the way of the Dodo (and Underdogs) since a little while now.

If you guys still don't manage to understand what I mean... DarthHelmet is right on all accounts.
Old 29-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Oh, okay, I see, I see the problem here now. Well, I'd like to apologize to Nick02 (or Nick as they know him at reloaded.org), since as darth and EoF pointed it out the tone of my post might have been just way too harsh for you. I understand, people have feelings, etc. Perhaps I shouldn't have judged the video by eastern values, here, if you do something bad they scold you for making a mistake, and if you do something right, they scold you for not being even more better. Maybe that's not nice, but that's a way of making large improvements quickly.
I could have written a rainbow overdosed post about the video, but then people wouldn't take it seriously, and the flaws would just pass through along with the qualities.
All in all, I'd like to state that I wouldn't like to make this discussion personal, this is strictly 'business'. That means while I would not like to object Nick's intentions of contributing to the site by means of advertising, I still point out that there are opinions that he might want to consider checking up. We all, me too, want a good, a really, really good ad for the site, I mean, I believe we can't have anything representing us - okay, you can't satisfy everyone, but an ad must try to.
And while I must admit that bloodypiggy is actually right, I apologize to Nick for 'being rude' since I believe we can have a 'conversation' like civilized people (which does not necessarily include vomiting rainbows on each other). We just have different views, that's all.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 29-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

There is a difference between constructive criticism of something and being overly picky and looking to find all the faults. This isn't an advert for AB, it isn't something Nick had to do. Nor does he have to fix it, he has sat down taken his time to make something for us. There are ways of pointing out flaws that don't make you sound like you are an elitist snob looking down on the work.

I can just as easily point out the faults in your post.

1. So there are only a few members on Reloaded at the moment, if they are active users then it is an active forum. Not to mention you don't sell yourself by saying how many people aren't on your forum.

2. It is an odd way of stating the sentence but it is also true, you can download games, read the reviews make reviews and it is all free to do. At no time do you have to pay to do so. Also saying reviewing is free does not mean you don't get paid it means you don't pay to do it, two different things. But we are a volunteer site, no point in lying to people and telling they will get paid anyway.

4. There are a few users here who complain non stop that this forum is using old outdated software that has been hacked together to work. People who habit forums do like to know that the forum they are using is of a high standard and works well. Not to mention Nick put a crapton of work into getting that forum redone, I think he should be rather proud of it and advertise his hard work.

6. People like to get themselves heard, we know this. It is the reason there are like and dislike buttons on youtube and why we let people make comments on the threads about games. It is a selling point that people out there like, just because you don't doesn't mean anything.

7. Since a large part of the activity on Reloaded is in their lovely roleplaying games it is a great thing to advertise. There are plenty of people out there who love sitting on forums roleplaying...once again a great selling point.

8. It's a stinger, it hangs around to give people more time to notice the info being presented. Opinion rises it's head again since some people will like it and others wont. People complained about the text going to fast and now about it going too slow.

The point boils down to, when someone does something for you, for free, as a gift, volunteer like, without being asked don't be a dick about what it is. Pointing out the flaws is well and good if it is done in a polite manner. In this thread no one has said thanks and only one person has been nice about the animation. I am not counting myself in that since I haven't said anything directed at Nick or Frodo about this at all (On that note, thank you Nick for this wonderful animation while it isn't perfect it is a darn sight better then anything else we have. If there is anyway to slow down the spinning words I think the animation would be better for it. And thank you Frodo for bringing this to our attention).

Also I would like to know who you think the inner circle is? The only reason this isn't up on the social media sites is because Lulu isn't here at the moment and I don't have the passwords and haven't bothered to PM the people who do have them about it.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 29-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Inner Circle? Well, I have this strange, bit idealistic vision of the site's social system that things are going in democratic ways meaning that anyone can't do anything, others would need to check if the persons action would be right or not. Like you can't have anyone post anything on the front page, etc. And by Inner Circle, actually, we all know there's like a half dozen of people who make the vital choices regarding the site, the people who actually have word here. People among mods, admins, whatever they fancy calling them around.
But it's just me and my imagination, of course.

And about my flaws:

1. I never wrote he had better said there are few people on the AR boards. Rather don't mention it at all, but true: it's active even if there are few people.

2. I was pretty much aware of that, I just fail to see why would anyone pay TO work. And why would not getting paid for work would attract anyone. Not that we could give folks money, it's just not something I'd say about AB.

4. Might be true, yet I believe not even the crappiest forum software can distract someone from a forum if the community is fun to hang out with.

6. That's a standard nowadays, like the four wheels under your car. Pointless to point out.

7. I rather refuse to discuss this matter.

8. Some parts are too slow, some parts are too fast, it's that simple.

P.S.: Maybe only one person was nice specifically about the animation, but I actually said "The music and the design is fine (...)"...

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.

Last edited by Tracker; 29-12-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 29-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

*Sigh* I am not going to bother. Nick you have done a wonderful job on this. Thank you very much, I have already tweeted it to my followers and think other people should do so as well on any social media sites they are active on. The more people who get the word that we are still here, that we are around that they are welcome to come and make a home here the better.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 29-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #16
verek_22
Licenced misery wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
Someone takes some of their free time to make a video for us, trying to help us get more views to our sites and all you can do is bash it. Genius.
Exactly. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say.
verek_22 is offline                         Send a private message to verek_22
Old 29-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #17
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
The good members left, the whiners stayed.
Irony.

Anyway, I will post the video now.
Old 29-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #18
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
We'll never know that. But you're welcome to disprove me. But if the "Inner Circle" approves the video and shares it via one of AB's official news sources, then I'll salute to Nick's genius.
I take LJ's post as an official position on this subject, and as I said above, I shall admit that Nick indeed did a good job with the video.

Last edited by Tracker; 29-12-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 29-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #19
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Quote:
The good members left, the whiners stayed.
Irony.
Why do you find this ironic? Is it another case of completely missing the point?

Just to save a few post, I'd like to point out I'm not a part of the "team" anymore.
Old 29-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #20
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Is it another case of completely missing the point?
Yes, that must be it. Anyway, video posted around the network, thank you Nick! Now, let's move on folks