Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Neobros

The Windows version of UFO Enemy Unknown will randomly crash when starting a new tactical mission, about one in every 15-20 missions. Following the comments of users, I've used 95/256 colors/640x480 screen resolution compatibility, without effect on the crashing, running Windows XP SP2.
Also I can't get the DOS version running in DosBox 0.70, I'd be happy to settle for the Dos version, if somebody wouldn't mind explaining what DosBox version would support it. Attempted to run all COM's, BAT's, and EXE's in the file without success.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but my search didn't turn up anything, and I gave up on the Games Talk page after looking through 20 of the 187 pages
Neobros is offline                         Send a private message to Neobros
Old 27-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
The Windows version of UFO Enemy Unknown will randomly crash when starting a new tactical mission, about one in every 15-20 missions. Following the comments of users, I've used 95/256 colors/640x480 screen resolution compatibility, without effect on the crashing, running Windows XP SP2.[/b]
This happens.

Quote:
Also I can't get the DOS version running in DosBox 0.70, I'd be happy to settle for the Dos version, if somebody wouldn't mind explaining what DosBox version would support it. Attempted to run all COM's, BAT's, and EXE's in the file without success.[/b]
Any specific error messages? If not, try reinstalling DOSBox. I've got v 0.70 and UFO is running in it perfectly

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Neobros

Thanks for getting back to me.
No specific error message, and upon redownloading and reinstalling DosBox 0.70 no change. go.com, full.bat, small.bat all loop between several applications endlessly. And any install application requests I run cdsetup with the drive extension, when I do give it either the emulated or os drive extension it returns nothing.And ufocd returns nothing.

Could be I'm simply using the application incorrectly, although I can't find any text on how to set up the Dos version.
Old 27-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Unfortunatly UFO is not so stable, the only advise I can give you is to save every mission...sometimes bug disappears if you reload the game.
Old 27-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Neobros

Ah, just now it hit me, it could be a file corruption, and indeed redownloading the Dos version works fine.
Thanks you two
Old 13-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
Jake Grey
Forum hobbit

Lightbulb X-Com: UFO Unkown Crashes: A Tentative Suggestion For A Partial Fix

I've been experiencing much the same problem. It seems to happen most frequently after something I'm running in the background throws up a pop-up window, leading me to suspect it might be an artefact of the game's DOS heritage, but it's also been known to occur without any obvious prompting. I've considered hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete and killing every single process except Explorer and Systray before starting it, but Windows 2000 makes this rather difficult.
However, now that I've got my hands on a working 98SE machine, I'll test it out on that and see if I can replicate the problem with fewer background processes, and in pure DOS for good measure; if I'm on the right lines, it gives some of us a workaround and me a starting point for finding a more permanent solution, which I'll be taking to a friend of mine who's just landed a programming internship at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. (I will be asking for voluntary contributions towards the cost of all the beer I'll have to bribe him with. )
More on this as it happens.
Jake Grey is offline                         Send a private message to Jake Grey
Old 15-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Congratulation on resurecting a year old thread...
Old 15-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
Jake Grey
Forum hobbit

*shrug* If I hadn't, someone only would have chimed in saying there was already a thread about it and scolded me for not looking first.
Jake Grey is offline                         Send a private message to Jake Grey
Old 15-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
dosraider
Dismembered.

Fact: Dosversion runs fine in dosbox 0.72.
The winversion adds nothing, but really nothing.
So: why try to run the winversion made for an old OS on a modern OS?
I wouldn't know.
Really not.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 15-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #10
Jake Grey
Forum hobbit

In my case, it's because my machine has real trouble running DosBox, though it seems to take VDMSound in its stride. I'm also not terribly confident at tinkering with config files.