Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-08-2006, 01:06 AM   #21
catchaserguns
Games Master

There is a walkthru but it is on a Commadore site. Use google to find it
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 02-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #22
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

I found one here: http://www.textfiles.com/apple/WALKTHROUGHS/ys.solve
It's on Apple website, though.

Anyway, I'm having a problem with a boss on The Tower level 7, the one which throws 3 green boomerang-like objects at me. It is too fast for me, Arick died before even hurt half of this boss' HP. I have tried reducing the cycles in DOSBox setting, and/or used Turbo (a slow-down utility), but to no avail. Any suggestions?
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 03-08-2006, 01:34 AM   #23
rabadi

Never mind, through sheer of luck I defeated this boss. I'm on Tower level 11 now. I assume from the walkthrough that the final boss will be quite difficult. Not sure if I can finish this game or not

EDIT: Well, here's from the walkthrough in the link posted above:
Quote:
Level 9 contains the Sound Room. First, though, there's an exit to the left that goes to a dead-end level with Ogien in it. He's of no help here...yet![/b]
I did not meet Ogien there, instead I met Ota. and so...
Quote:
This is an important bottle because you now have to go back down the Tower to where you last found Ogien (the level before the Sound Room). Enter the room where Ogien is, read the Book of Malaks, then speak to Ogien. He will give you a Blue Amulet. Go back up to Level 13.[/b]
...he did not read Book of Malaks for me, nor did he give me a Blue Amulet. I don't know what to do, so I try to continue playing up to level 16.
Quote:
Level 16 is another "Mirror" level, and leads to another battle with a "large" creature. These are Twin Heads.[/b]
Again, I am facing problem with the boss. Any suggestion to defeat these Twin Heads? Also, since I did not have Ogien reading the Book of Malaks as well as giving me the Blue Amulet, is it still possible to finish the game?

I don't want to stop right now, being quite close to the end, but this arcade-like battle is getting really annoying <_<
Old 04-08-2006, 01:20 AM   #24
rabadi

Finished the game... phew... Well, it turned out that the Blue Amulet is needed. I had to reload earlier saved game file to finish the game. Seriously, a manual should be included, or at least certain keys should be mentioned in the review. For example, I didn't know pressing R on keyboard will alow Arick to read the books (after he got a special item necessary first) until I googled for the info on the net. Anyway, here are some of those important keys:
F1: load a save game file
F4: save current game
I: open the inventory screen
S: see Arick's status
R: read books of Ys

The ending of the game is, well, okay. I guess it was quite good at that time (1987 or 1989?). The final boss' battle was frustrating, though. I'm not much of an arcade fan, so yeah imagine my frustration. So I was glad when I finally defeated him. However, I needed to reduce my DOSBox cycle before I even had a chance to win. At first I had to reduce it from my usual setting (8000) to normal DOSBox default (3000). No apparent change. So I reduced again to 1000, then to 500, then to 300, then to 250, and finally to 200 before I managed to get the game slow enough for me in that frustrating arcade scene.

I don't quite like the HP cap, and the fact that my gold was rolled back to 0 if I accumulated too much (not that there are many items to buy, but anyway...). Still, for a game this old, it may have been amazing back then.

Considering the frustration, this is not a game I would want to replay again. Still, I guess this is okay to play if you want to kill time a day or two.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #25
Adol Christin

Heres where you can Get the Remakes of Ys1 and 2. Also Check out Ys Oath in Felghana. Game friggen rocks!.

http://www.himeyashop.com/advanced_search_...fdf54c7a3151385

Heres where you can get the translation Packs

http://nick.serveblog.net/

Old 07-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #26
Adol Christin

Thiers also tons of Vids on Ys games over on Youtube. Heres a good one thought the vid Quaility isnt the greatest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO8oqzA7n8k

Old 12-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #27
RyuRanX

Send a message via AIM to RyuRanX

The worse version of Ys 1, but it still a very good action RPG. The PC-Engine version is much better, especially for the music quality. Ys music rocks !!!
RyuRanX is offline                         Send a private message to RyuRanX
Old 28-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #28
cjk1995
Forum hobbit

Default spam

'Ancient Land of Ys' was my first RPG game.
cjk1995 is offline                         Send a private message to cjk1995
Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #29
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

This was one of my favorite games in the early 90s. I played it a ton. I had the IIgs version, which had excellent sound and I played it over and over. For some reason, I couldn't figure out how to save the game for the longest time. I remember trying blank disks and they wouldn't work so I gave up and tried playing it straight through but would always eventually die so I didn't win for the longest time. Then one day, I finally figured out how to save a game and managed to win. It's simple but fun, with great catchy tunes and I really liked the Japanese influence and graphic style.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 AM   #30
jj7745
Lurker

How dO i save LOL
jj7745 is offline                         Send a private message to jj7745