Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > Troubleshooting Archive
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 25-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
omg
Games Master

this is basically for evryone who is having trouble with dosbox , getting confused by this command line stuff an configuration options. its called dfend and is a very cool frontend for dosbox that i love as much as my wife (lets hope she doesnt read this ... :whistle: ) its going to seem long but it is actually really simple and you will not have to type very much at all, and its really quick to configure and tweak, so without futher ado its time to start rolling!

the first thing you need to do is get dfend from this awfully nice chap here make sure u get the version number that matches the version of dosbox you have got. so version 0.63 dosbox, version 0.63 dfend. then you install (if u get both at the same time install dosbox first!) also once you have got it working, go back to his site and tell him what an awfully nice chap he is.!

make yourself a dos games folder, somewhere easy to find so desktop or c drive.
(make sure you extract the game you want to play into its own unique folder) then
once you have installed dfend boot her up then click on profile and go to add with wizard
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 25-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
omg
Games Master

in profile name type in the name of the game, then click on browse next to game . exe then browse your way to the games exe. then double click it. if the game has a setup file then you add it in the setup section again browsing to it. sometimes oddly setups arnt called setup (go figure) if in doubt leave the setup feild blank, you can always change this later
Old 25-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
omg
Games Master

you can rapid fire through this one if you want or sort out your render method settings now, i use an ati so i use directdraw as my render method, but im going to come back to this later ..
Old 25-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
omg
Games Master

next, and this is the section that is going to save a lot of heartache, you have to mount the game. how do u do that? well as long as its not a cd image you just click auto create. hoorah! job done.
Old 25-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
omg
Games Master

here you have your sound settings, this is a section you may need to alter later as sometimes you will have a game fail to load due to an irq conflict. basically it depends on the age of the game as to which settings will work best. for now leave it as default unless you have heard your game needs certain settings. remember people all of this is tweakable later.
Old 25-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
omg
Games Master

i always just skip this screen again dont touch unless you have heard about a specific setting. generally speaking you want to use defaults though so if a game doesnt work you know you have to tweak it to get it to work, rather than it isnt working because of a tweak.
Old 25-04-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
omg
Games Master

i always increase this up to 63. why.. becuse it means im running a 486 with a soundblaster pro an 63 meg o ram. back in the days i would have been sending people green with this puppy!
Old 25-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #8
omg
Games Master

yay! all done. you get a nice little freindly screen telling you that your done, and you get a icon in the dfend main window. now heres the thing. if the game is 2d you probably wont have to do this but to get a nice smooth performance from 3d games and some strategys you are going to have to increase the speed. unfortunatly as with a few emulators increasing the speed destroys the sound so to get good sound you are going to have to put up with a slow game. (if anyone has found a workaround please tell me) test the game first before doing this. first thing i do is use a default setting to test the game, then i give it the power of my graphics card an generally tweak it up. right click on your games icon then select edit profile
Old 25-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #9
omg
Games Master

auto lock mouse, the reosen you do this is because to exit you press alt+escape. (or alt+tab) if you dont auto lock mouse you will often find yourself unable to renter the game. also some games just wont accept your mouse without you checking this box first. double buffering you use for full screen mode. i dont use full screen when im online. the thing has crashed a few times in fullscreen when i have had windows or my firewall give me a message. if you are using full screen its cool to use the close dosbox on game exit tab. also once u have tested the game (though it usually works fine i tend to do it at the beggining) set up your graphics card ati radeon is direct draw, so i guess the other lot are open gl
Old 25-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
omg
Games Master

the enviroment tab, if your game is running slowly sacrifice the sound for speed speed speed, increase the cycles most games will just need 10000, click on the cycles tab and increase it. if you want to keep music try increasing it one stage at a time. incidently the tab underneath cycles lets you choose a cpu core, i always go for dynamic, because it sounds cooler! k:
Closed Thread