Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-04-2005, 01:59 AM   #11
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone+Apr 12 2005, 11:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BeefontheBone @ Apr 12 2005, 11:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fawfulhasfury@Apr 12 2005, 11:05 PM
Lemony Snickets A Series of Unfortunate Events
Never saw that, but I LOVE the books - have you read them, and if so, how did the film compare? [/b][/quote]
It was pretty much the first three books, shortened into a movie. I particualrly though jim carrey did a wonderful job, and that it was a wonderful movie.
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 13-04-2005, 03:28 AM   #12
irrelevantjet
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Apr 12 2005, 07:46 PM
The League of Extreme Gentlemen
it's actually "extraordinary" not "extreme", The movie was based on a graphic novel by the same name, written by Alan Moore, a legend in the field. The graphic novel is exactly one billion times better than the piece of crap that was the movie. another movie based on a an Alan Moore story is "From Hell" Starring Johnny Depp and "The Watchmen" which will be released in 2006. If anyone wants to know comics, i'm your man.

5 movies i love
Usual Suspects
Citizen Kane
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
A Clockwork Orange

5 movies i like
Se7en
Saving Private Ryan
Enemy at the Gates
Fight Club
Band of Brothers (10 part mini series)

5 movies that are a waste of time
Constantine
Going Overboard
American Pie Trilogy
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
2001: A Space Odessey

the last two in that list i'm sure people love them.... but to me they are really poorly dated boring long movies

As for Donnie Darko, i think its a great movie but didn't put it up for this reason... when it was first released at the cinema it had little advertising and not many people saw it, but it gained a great cult status, now that it has been re-released and has directors cut and special edition DVD, every moron under the sun watches the movie and thinks they are "deep" and "complex". I liked the movie and told my friends about it years ago, now they bothered to watch it and feel they have to tell me they "discovered" it. Honestly, its just a movie, not a way of life... people are tards
irrelevantjet is offline                         Send a private message to irrelevantjet
Old 13-04-2005, 04:26 AM   #13
hanut
Forum hobbit

Lesse! What movies do i like u ask? Not that tough to answer really.

The Matrix(The first one and the last one. The second movie sucked)
Gladiator
A beautiful mind
Castaway
Serendipity
Terminator 3
Bridge Over the river Kwai
Final Fantasy: Spirits within.

But my fav is the matix part 1. It totally rocks. I have seen it about 52 times.
hanut is offline                         Send a private message to hanut
Old 13-04-2005, 04:44 AM   #14
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by irrelevantjet@Apr 13 2005, 03:28 AM

As for Donnie Darko, i think its a great movie but didn't put it up for this reason... when it was first released at the cinema it had little advertising and not many people saw it, but it gained a great cult status, now that it has been re-released and has directors cut and special edition DVD, every moron under the sun watches the movie and thinks they are "deep" and "complex". I liked the movie and told my friends about it years ago, now they bothered to watch it and feel they have to tell me they "discovered" it. Honestly, its just a movie, not a way of life... people are tards
I saw it years ago, loved it.

Recently received the director's cut for my birthday, still love it.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 13-04-2005, 05:32 AM   #15
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Thanks, for this topic, Sebatianos. You and Taikara always pick interesting subjects.

Favourite all-time movies:

Phantom Menace - Love Star Wars and so far enjoyed this episode the most. I aspire to be a Jedi...
Moulin Rouge - the music and performances were out of this world.
The Court Jester - a classic with Danny Kaye that is funny, sweet and charming.
The Song Of Bernadette - Too beautiful, inspirational
Pollyanna - A disney classic about a little girl who always looked on the bright side and changed the attitude of a town filled with grumps. This was an equal tie with a 1970's version of Romeo and Juliet.

(Also loved Van Helsing and Troy)

Least Favourites:
Trouble is, when I don't like something I have problems remembering names. But I remember being traumatised after reading The Exorcist and finding the movie disturbing, too. However, this concept of someone being possessed in a modern time was very new when it was released in the 70's and it traumatised a lot of people back then. However, the soundtrack was one of the most beautiful and haunting I've ever heard.

wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 13-04-2005, 06:03 AM   #16
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Let's see.......

Must See
Lord of the Rings Series
Star Wars Series (4,5,6)
Spiderman 1,2
Braveheart
The Matrix

Movies I loved
Star Wars Episode 1 (Looking back I thought this movie was very well done, had a great story, good acting, but overall a good movie)
Troy (The movie got hammered, I've read the Illiad so looking back it did a pretty good job with the story, if it could have added something it could have been the gods into the movie)
Pirates of the Caribbean( Funny movie, great acting, Johnny Debb is hiliarious in the movie, glad I saw this movie)
Matrix Reloaded (Thought this was a worthy sequel to the original movie, had the atmosphere and everything going for it.)
X-Men Series (Thought it has been done very well, casting was good, the two movies have been well done in the spirit of the comics, although I'm still waiting for them to bring in Gambit.)

Movies that were a waste of time
Mortal Kombat 2 (How the director ruined this movie is just beyond comprehension, terrible fighting, acting, just horrible
Street Fighter (Meh essentially the same, terrible fighting, questionable acting, the list goes on)
King Arthur (So disappointed the story was never consistent, events just came and went, nice plot holes they left in, decent action flick but in terms of story a flop, haven't seen the directors cut, but I heard it makes the movie a little better.)
Matrix Revolutions (Terrible way to end the series, just seemed very odd the way it all went down in the end, didn't like the way it was played out, very disappointed.)
Tomorrow Never Dies (I think it was one of Pierce Brosnens worst bond flicks, felt out of place when I watched it.)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 13-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #17
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by wendymaree@Apr 13 2005, 05:32 AM
Moulin Rouge - the music and performances were out of this world.
Did you not find Ewan MacGregor's singing amazingly irritating, and some of the choices of songs (particularly Roxanne) to be really obvious and predictable? Still entertaining though, but not a patch on Luhrrman's Romeo & Juliet - that opening sequence is bloomin' marvellous!

irrelevantjet has a point about Donnie Darko, but I was one of those early cinema viewers, and I preach the word of it to anyone I meet who's not seen it. I've not seen the Director's Cut yet, keep meaning to though...

Also just realised I forgot The Usual Suspects and Belleville Rendezvous, which was daft of me.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 13-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #18
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

Must see:
La haine
Scarface
Natural born killers
Leon
American Psycho
Apocalypse now

I like:
Boondock Saints
Avalon
Gattaca
Vidocq
Brotherhood of the wolves

I hate:
Pearl harbor
miss congenielaleieal whatever

Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 13-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #19
lethe
Game freak

Must see (assuming we're teaching children anything):
Schindler's List
Requiem For A Dream
Edward Scissorhands
Braveheart
Gladiator

Movies I recently liked:
Finding Neverland
The Machinist
Criminal
Before Sunset
The Passion of the Christ

Crap movies I wasted time on recently:
Matrix 2 & 3
The Ring 2
The Grudge
Spiderman
The Day After Tomorrow

lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 13-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #20
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

i will focus on "must see" movies only:

- fight club
- the sixth sense
- requiem for a dream
- the ring 1
- donnie darko
- final destination
- lord of the rings trilogy
- star wars (any of them)
- american history x
- blair witch project 1
- the thin red line
- platoon
- bitter moon
- alien 1 & 2
- blade runner
- seven
- the matrix 1
- jacob's ladder
- mononoke hime (anime)
- sen and the mysterious disappearance of chihiro (anime)
- armitage (all of them, anime)

phuu, quite a long list - but i wouldn't miss any of those!

Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe